Download Weekly Current Affairs Antibiotic
1st April 2017 - 7th April 2017 Download in PDF
For Banking - SBI - IBPS - SSC CGL Exams
Weekly Current Affairs - Based on One Liner
- India's first transgender police officer "Prithika Yashini" appointed in Tamil Nadu.
- Vanaja N. Sarna was appointed as the new chairman of Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC).
- Sports Minister Mr. Vijay Goel has approved the appointment of two top foreign athletics coaches Dave Smith(Australian) and Galina P Bukharina(American) one each in race walking and 400m race.
- Bhimaraya Metri has taken over as Director of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Trichy (IIM Tiruchirappalli).
- Dr. Chirag Trivedi appointed President of Indian Society for Clinical Research.
- IDBI has appointed Mahesh Kumar Jain as the Managing Director & CEO with immediate effect. Before his role in IDBI, Jain was the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Indian Bank.
- Indira Banerjee appointed as new Chief Justice of Madras High Court.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom) appointed Raman Roy (Managing Director of Quatrro Global Services) as its chairman for 2017-2018.
- A 1982 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) Geetha Johri has been appointed as the first woman Director General of Police (DGP) of Gujarat.
- Rajiv Kumar Chander appointed as India's Ambassador and permanent representative to the UN.
- Diplomat Vipul, a 1998 batch Indian Foreign Service officer took up the charge as the new Consul General of Dubai.
- The ‘Captain Cool’ has been appointed as the CEO of Gulf Oil India.
- Indian-origin South African billionaire Iqbal Surve has been appointed as chairperson of the country’s BRICS Business Council and has underlined the need for strengthening trade ties with countries like India and China.
- Vanaja N Sarna appointed Central Board of Excise and Customs(CBEC) chief.
- Phoenix India Research and Development Group launched the first bio-gas fuelled bus in Kolkata keeping a flat fare of just Rs 1.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 9.2 km long Chenani-Nashri all-weather road tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway. It is the Asia's Longest Tunnel.
- Haryana government has decided to provide a one-time grant of Rs 21,000 to all those families whose third girl child was born after August 24, 2015, under the 'Aapki Beti, Hamari Beti' scheme.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of a multi-modal terminal on River Ganga at Sahebganj in Jharkhand.
- West bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee declared Jhargram as the 22nd district of West Bengal.
- Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of State (I/C) for Petroleum and Natural Gas officially launched the low emission Bharat stage (BS)-IV Grade fuel in Bhubaneswar.
- The first express highway project in the northeast region will be developed along the Brahmaputra river in Assam at an estimated investment of Rs 40,000 crore inaugurated by Union Road Minister Nitin Gadkari.
- The Centre has constituted National Board of Electric Mobility (NBEM) to promote electric mobility and manufacturing of electric (& hybrid) vehicles and their components.
- Bengaluru's Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and Delhi's Miranda House have made it to the top of respective categories in the country's official higher education rankings announced by the government.
- The Madhya Pradesh government has launched an app named ‘MP e-nagarpalika’ to provide various municipal services online.
- The Government has launched PowerTex India, a comprehensive scheme for power loom sector development, simultaneously at over 45 locations in the country.
- Government announces 30% subsidy for upgradation of powerloom sector.
- Jammu and Kashmir Govt. bans polythene manufactured below 50 microns.
- Himachal Pradesh CM Virbhadra Singh launched a scheme allowing distribution of LED tubelights.
- Myanmar has become the seventh member of the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) partnership.
- Japan Officially Recognises Bitcoin as Currency Starting 1st April 2017.
- India's travel and tourism sector ranks 7th in the world in terms of its total contribution to the country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP), according to a new report of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), 2016.
- India has been ranked 3rd for the third year in a row in a doping violation report published by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for 2015 with 117 athletes from the country being punished after testing positive for banned substances.
- US Astronaut Peggy Whitson Breaks Sunita Williams' Record For Most Spacewalks By A Woman.
- India has joined the International Energy Agency as an associate member, a development that the IEA said makes the prestigious Paris-based body more relevant and reflects the country's move to the centre stage of the global energy dialogue.
- The smallest country in Central America –"El Salvador" becomes first country to ban metals mining nationwide.
- India and the UK decided to set up a 240 million pound fund to finance clean energy projects, as per the statement of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- The Manila-headquartered Asian Development Bank (ADB) lends a $175 million loan to the Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
- Japan has committed an 'Official Development Assistance' (ODA) of 371.345 billion yen (about Rs 21,590 crore) under 2016-2017 for various infrastructure projects, including the dedicated freight corridor, in India.
- Karnataka Bank and SBI Card have launched co-branded credit cards for the customers of Karnataka Bank.
- Ratnakar Bank limited (RBL) Bank announced the opening of its Indian Financial System Code (IFSC) Banking Unit (IBU) at Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to slash clearance time for National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) in an attempt to enhance the efficiency of the electronic payment system and add to customer convenience.
- IDBI Bank has reduced interest rates, ranging from 50 to 75 basis points, on retail term deposits (RTD) with effect from April 5, 2017.
- Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Ltd becomes the seventh entity to receive a final licence from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up a payments bank.
- Country's largest bank, State Bank of India has reduced its benchmark lending rate by 0.15%.
- The BRICS-backed New Development Bank (NDB) has invested in seven projects totaling $1.5 billion in about two years of its operation. NDB began operations in July 2015. Seven projects have been done so far which aggregate around $1.5 billion. Six of them are in the renewable energy sector and one in transport financing.
- The State Bank of India, the country's largest lender has started functioning as unified entity from 01st April 2017 post merger of its five associate banks, besides Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
- From April 1, the associate banks which will be merging with State Bank of India will sport the lender's signage and logo, with its iconic keyhole set against the background of inky blue.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has said all payment systems will remain closed on April 1, in a change from its earlier directive asking banks to remain open on the first day of the next fiscal beginning April.
Books and Authors
- Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu releases Book Titled “Indian Railway- The weaving of a National Tapestry”. The book is jointly authored by Shri Bibek Debroy (Member, NITI Aayog) Shri Sanjay Chadha (Joint Secretary, Ministry of Commerce) & Ms. Vidya Krishnamurthi.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has launched the '811 banking app' which is part of the lender's vision to double customer base in 18 months.
- The government has launched two mobile apps, echallan and mParivahan, that provide access to various services and information, and enable citizens to report any traffic violation or road accident.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved closure of the Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana (MGPSY).
- The Union Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has launched Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana in Nellore District of Andhra Pradesh.
- Mizoram has become the 27th State to join the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY).
- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak is on a 6-day visit to India. Two countries sign seven agreements including air services agreement and MoUs in education and sports.
- India and Israel signed a mega defense deals worth over 2 billion dollars for advanced surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems, to further tighten the bilateral strategic partnership ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Israel in July.
- A Malaysian company MTN has agreed to help set up a technology park in Andhra Pradesh that’s expected to attract private sector investment of $100 million in the first phase.
- Ola Cab has integrated with Unified Payment Interface (UPI) to simplify digital payment options for its customers.
- The Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII) has tied up with Pembangunan Sumber Manusia Berhad (PSMB), an arm of Human Resource Development Fund under Ministry of HRD, Malaysia, for skill development, and assist the South-East Asian country in its target of ensuring 35 per cent skilled Malaysian workforce by 2020.
- The Indian Army has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M).
- Axis Bank has tied up with Wells Fargo (the third largest American bank by assets) to offer real-time remittances from the Indian diaspora to their relatives back home.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
- Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting and Urban Development M Venkaiah Naidu will inaugurate a three-day National Children’s Film Festival in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley chaired the South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) Finance Ministers meeting in New Delhi.
- A day-long national conference on Communicating India will be organized in New Delhi.
- Second annual meeting of BRICS New Development Bank held in New Delhi.
- Rio Olympics silver medallist P V Sindhu jumped three places to achieve a career-best world number two ranking in the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings.
- FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) banned Guatemala's former football chief Brayan Jimenez for life over corruption, bribery and other offences.
- Roger Federer (Switzerland) defeated Rafael Nadal (Spain) to win Miami Open 2017 Singles title.
- Olympic silver-medallist P.V. Sindhu has defeated Carolina Marin in India Open badminton championship 2017 in New Delhi.
- Kenya's Joyciline Jepkosgei has broken the world half marathon record as well as the 10km and 15km marks at the Prague Half Marathon on the way to winning the IAAF Gold Label Road Race in one hour, four minutes and 52 seconds.
- India's women's T20I team captain Harmanpreet Kaur has been named Player of the Year by Australia's Women's Big Bash League team Sydney Thunder.
- Indian forward S.V Sunil and drag-flicker Harmanpreet Singh were named as the Asian Player of the Year 2016 and Asian Promising Player of the Year respectively by the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF).
Award & Honour
- American singer and song-writer Bob Dylan has finally accepted his Nobel Prize for literature 2016.
- Virat Kohli named Wisden’s Leading Cricketer in the World for 2016.
- Dawit Isaak chosen for 2017 World Press Freedom Prize.
- Renowned Hindustani classical vocalist Kishori Amonkar passes away.
- The Fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) industry has emerged as the highest paying industry in India with an average annual cost to company (CTC) of Rs. 11.3 lakh across all levels and functions according to Randstad survey, 2017.
- To make on-boarding easy for new sellers, Amazon India has launched an initiative called Amazon Classroom, a virtual training program to help teach them the nuances of online selling.
- 19th Commonwealth Forestry Conference (CFC) 2017 will begin today at Forest Research Institute (FRI) in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu released the book titled 'Indian Railway- The weaving of a National Tapestry' jointly authored by Shri Bibek Debroy (Member, NITI Aayog) Shri Sanjay Chadha (Joint Secretary, Ministry of Commerce) & Ms. Vidya Krishnamurthi.
- Kanha tiger reserve in Madhya Pradesh has become the first tiger reserve in India to officially introduce a mascot of its own.
Click the Below Download Button to Download in PDF