Current Affairs Updates - 2 Feb 2018
Here, we have brought to you the Current Affairs Updates for 2nd February 2018. All the important headlines from National Affairs, Sports, Awards and Honors along with Events and Conferences have been mentioned here. These are very important for the upcoming exams of IBPS, SSC and Rail. We also offer you Oneliner GK & Current Affairs Updates and Daily CA Quiz everyday for your better preparation. We are really thankful to all our readers for the immense support that they have provided to us and we are looking forward to provide you with the best materials in the coming days.
New Appointments: NationalLt. Gen Anil Chauhan, who has vast experience in counter-insurgency operations, took charge as the new Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) of the Indian Army.
- He succeeds Lt General A K Bhatt who will assume charge of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps.
- Lt Gen Chauhan has held several important posts in the Army and is known for his expertise in counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir and the Northeast.
- He has succeeded G Kalyanakrishnan who retired on superannuation. Srivastava will also be Chairman of NFC board.
Banking, Economic & Financial AffairsThe Central Statistics Office (CSO) revised the gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate for 2015-16 to 8.2% from the earlier estimates of 8% and kept the 2016-17 growth unchanged at 7.1%.
- The real GDP or GDP at constant (2011-12) prices for the years 2016-17 and 2015-16 stands at Rs121.96 trillion and Rs113.86 trillion respectively.
Rankings & IndexesIndia has slipped to 42nd place on the Economist Intelligence Unit's annual Global Democracy Index while Norway topped the list.
- The index ranks 165 independent states and two territories on the basis of five categories: electoral process and pluralism, civil liberties, the functioning of government, political participation and political culture.
National AffairsUnion Budget 2018 Released: Free Healthcare, More Money For Farmers In Arun Jaitley's Pre-Poll Budget.
- Agriculture got prime time attention in the Union Budget 2018 presented by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- The India-US relations should grow stronger and Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump is a good combination to achieve this.
- These bills can be generated from the GSTN portal. The e-way bill system was introduced to bring uniformity across the states for seamless inter-state movement of goods.
- Mrs. Swaraj will meet Communist Party of Nepal (UML) Chairman K.P.Sharma Oli, who is likely to be the new Prime Minister of Nepal. Later she will meet senior leaders of Rashtriya Janta Party Nepal.
Defence & Railway NewsThe Indian Navy launched the third Scorpene class submarine, Karanj, at the Mazagaon dock in Mumbai.
- Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba was the chief guest in the event at Mazagon Dock.
- The state-of-the-art Scorpene submarine has superior stealth features and the ability to launch crippling attacks with precision.
- The helicopter is powered by two Shakti engines and has many features of indigenous Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Dhruv. It also has day and night targeting systems for crew, including helmet-pointed sight and electro-optical pod.
- It will help to generate employment opportunities and bring economic development in Marathwada region which is one of the most Backward Parts of Maharashtra.
Books & AuthorsFormer finance minister P Chidambaram launched his book ‘Speaking Truth To Power’ in the national capital.
- The Congress leader, in a series of tweets, cautioned: “Be prepared for an assault on our common sense by wild claims of job creation by the government.”
Application / PortalGovernment e Marketplace (GeM), has been envisaged by Government of India as the National Procurement Portal of India.
- GeM strives to keep pace with ever-evolving technological challenges and stake holder aspirations and in line with this endeavour, GeM is coming up with a scaled up third version.
Schemes / ProgrammeMaharashtra govt’s scheme titled Asmita Yojana would provide a packet of sanitary napkins to girls attending the govt-run zilla parishad schools in rural parts for Rs5 each.
- In a move aimed at blunting opposition criticism for imposing goods and services tax on sanitary pads, the Maharashtra government decided to implement a scheme to sell sanitary napkins to rural women at a subsidized rate.
Awards & Honours: SportsAnu Kumar of Uttarakhand grabbed the first gold medal of the Khelo India School Games, as Tamil Nadu won two of the six gold medals on offer on the opening day of the athletics programme of the Games.
- While Tamil Nadu athletes took two gold medals, the rest were shared between Uttarakhand, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
Awards & Honours: MiscellaneousLegendary Bengali actor Soumitra Chatterjee was presented France’s highest civilian award, the Legion d’Honneur, at a function in Kolkata.
- French Ambassador Alexandre Ziegler presented the medal to the versatile octogenarian, who has delved into multiple cultural genres.
- He was selected unanimously for the prestigious award by WHO Board from six other shortlisted candidates from Algeria, China, Malaysia, Mexico, Russia, Federation, Uzbekistan for distinguished contributions towards improving the health and well-being of families, especially in developing countries.
Other Sports & Award Related NewsMelbourne to host the World Cup Cricket T20 finals in 2020
- Melbourne prides itself as the sporting capital of the world and it's status has been reaffirmed by the announcement today that the Melbourne Cricket Ground will once again host the finals of the ICC Twenty20 Cricket World Cup in the year 2020.
ObituaryThe world’s oldest man 'Francisco Nunez Olivera' has died just over a month after celebrating his 113th birthday.
- Francisco Nunez Olivera passed away at around 10.30 last night at his home in the village of Bienvenida in Badajoz, south-west Spain.
- Dharmasena Pathiraja has several internationally acclaimed, award winning films to his name including Bambaru Awith, Sathuro, Soldadu Unnehe, and Eya Dan Loku Lamayek.