Current Affairs Updates - 24 & 25 January 2018
We, the Achieversrule team have brought to you some of the important Daily Current Affairs Updates for 24th and 25th January which are very important for the upcoming government exams like SSC, BANK and RAIL. We request our readers to go through the Daily Note down Points and practice the Daily Current Affairs and GK Quiz for better performance in the examination.
Important DaysNational Voters' Day or Rashtriya Matdata Diwas is celebrated on January 25 every year.
- The significance of National Voters' Day is to encourage more young voters to take part in the political process.
- It is a day to celebrate the right to vote and vibrant democracy of India.
- The day was first celebrated in 2011 to mark Election Commission's Foundation Day.
- This will be eighth National Voters' Day (NVD) and will be used to spread awareness among voters regarding effective participation in the electoral process.
New Appointments: NationalISRO's Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) director S Somnath has taken charge as the new director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC).
- Soon after taking charge, VSSC new director Somnath told TOI that his priorities will be on technology upgradation of launch vehicle design and to focus on immediate launches including GSLV-Mark (MK) II and PSLV-C41 in Feb.
- GSAT -MKII (F09) will be for the launch of communication satellite GSAT-6A and PSLV-C41 for launch of Indian remote sensing satellite IRNSS-1I.
- Then, GSLV-MKII (F10) for Chandrayaan-II, the second Moon mission is slated for April and following that GSLV-MK III is planned for launch, he said.
Banking, Economic & Financial AffairsThe government announced Rs. 88,139 crore capital infusion in 20 public sector banks (PSBs) during the current fiscal, with IDBI Bank getting the most -- Rs. 10,610 crore.
- The unprecedented Rs. 2.1 lakh crore bank recapitalization plan announced in October last year was to be spread over two financial years -- 2017-18 and 2018-19. During the current fiscal, ending March 31, State Bank of India will get Rs. 8,800 crore capital and Bank of India, Rs. 9,232 crore
National AffairsIn a bid to make low-cost medicines more accessible, the health ministry is working to increase the number of AMRIT pharmacy stores by four times by this year end from the existing 111 outlets.
- The medicine buyers have saved over Rs 267 crore by buying drugs from 'AMRIT' (Affordable medicine and reliable implants for treatment) stores, which have benefited over 52 lakh patients, Nadda told reporters.
Schemes / ProgrammeRapid Reporting System for the Scheme for Adolescent Girls launched by Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Secretary, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Shri Rakesh Srivastava launched the Phase -1 i.e. the beneficiary module of the Rapid Reporting System for the Scheme for Adolescent Girls - a web based on line monitoring for the Scheme for Adolescent Girls in New Delhi today.
- The RRS will facilitate the monitoring of the scheme and taking corrective measures by ensuring faster flow of information, accurate targeting of the beneficiaries and reduction of leakages. This Portal has been developed in collaboration with National Informatics Centre (NIC). The URL for the portal is http://sag-rrs.nic.in.
Agreements/ MoUs SignedIndian Overseas Bank has signed an MoU with National Housing Bank for the Rural Housing Interest Subsidy Scheme (RHISS) of the Ministry of Rural Development.
- The agreement was signed by R Subramaniakumar, MD and CEO of Indian Overseas Bank, and Sriram Kalyanaraman, MD and CEO of the National Housing Bank, on January 22, according to a statement. The aim of the RHISS is to provide subsidy for housing loans taken by those living in rural areas for construction and modifications of their dwelling units
- The 120 million dollar loan from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) has a 5-year grace period.
Summit /Conference / Events'Bharat Parv’ being organised from Jan 26 to 31 at Red Fort with an objective to generate a patriotic mood and promote the rich cultural diversity of the country
- Being organised as part of the Republic Day 2018 celebrations, the ‘Bharat Parv’ is aimed to ensure wider participation of the general public.
- The announcement was made by Tata Steel, in association with the Indian Institute of Metals.
- This major conference is held every three years and provides a platform for the exchange of knowledge on various aspects of the global steel industry.
Awards & Honours: SportsRakhi Halder of RSPB created a new national record in clean and jerk en route to a gold medal in the 63kg women's category in the 33rd Women Senior National Weightlifting Championships
- Rakhi lifted 128 kgs in the clean and jerk for a total of 230kgs to create a new national record, bettering Karnam Malleswari's feat (127kg) created in Athens in 1999.
- The silver in this category went to S Thasana Chanu of Karnataka (202kg) while the bronze was clinched by AIPSCB's Amandeep Kaur (191kg).
Awards & Honours: MiscellaneousPrime Minister Narendra Modi presented the National Bravery Awards to 18 children, seven of them being girls.
- Three of these awards were presented posthumously.
- The awards are divided into five categories- Bharat Award, Geeta Chopra Award, Sanjay Chopra Award, Bapu Gaidhani Award, and General National Bravery Awards.
- The award of merit was awarded by UNESCO Asia Pacific region for the reconstruction activities undertaken in temple without in least affecting its traditional splendour and Vedic rituals.
- Morrison's inclusion in the best cinematography category is the first time a woman has been nominated in the award show's 90-year span.
ObituaryUrsula K. Le Guin, best-selling science fiction author, dies.
- Ursula K. Le Guin, the award-winning and best-selling science fiction writer who explored feminist themes and was best known for her Earthsea books, has died at 88.