CURRENT AFFAIRS UPDATES: 1ST SEPTEMBER
Follow the current affairs section daily for the upcoming bank exams like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, RRB AND RBI. These are also important for SSC AND RAILWAY EXAMS. Current Affairs is a very scoring section. Also, don't forget to practise the quizzes daily without any fail.
New Appointments: National
Rajiv Mehrishi appointed as Comptroller and Auditor General
Rajiv Gauba takes charge as new Union Home Secretary
- Senior IAS officer Rajiv Gauba took charge as the new Union Home Secretary on Thursday for a fixed two-year tenure. Gauba, who succeeded Rajiv Mehrishi, is a 1982-batch IAS officer of the Jharkhand cadre. The 58-year-old bureaucrat was appointed as the home secretary about two months ago and has been serving as Officer on Special Duty in the Home Ministry since then.
New Appointments: International
RK Raghavan Indian High Commissioner to Cyprus
- Former CBI director R K Raghavan, who headed the Special Investigation Team that probed the Gujarat riots, has been appointed as Indian High Commissioner to Cyprus, the Ministry of External Affairs announced
India's quarterly GDP growth hits three-year low of 5.7%
- India's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) fell to a three-year low of 5.7% for the April-June quarter as compared to 6.1% in the previous quarter, government data showed on Thursday. The GDP growth rate for the same quarter last year was 7.9%. Further, GVA (Gross Value Added) grew at 5.6% year-on-year during the April-June quarter.
Freyr Energy ties up with Axis Bank
- Solar energy services company Freyr Energy has tied up with Axis Bank to offer term loans ranging from 5 lakh to 50 lakh for tenures up to five years,for solar rooftop installations in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
Ujjivan Financial Services shares close 10.2% higher after scheduled bank status
- Shares of Ujjivan Financial Services Ltd on Wednesday closed 10.2% higher, its biggest gains in eleven month, after its subsidiary was given a scheduled bank status.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has granted a scheduled bank status to its subsidiary Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Ltd, according to a filing on exchanges.
MS Dhoni breaks record for most not-outs in ODI history
- MS Dhoni has broken the world record for most not-outs in ODI history, remaining not out at 49 against Sri Lanka on Thursday to register his 73rd unbeaten ODI innings. Dhoni surpassed former cricketers Shaun Pollock and Chaminda Vaas, who remained unbeaten 72 times each in ODIs. Dhoni missed scoring his 100th international fifty by one run.
Unicity launches world’s first ever Genomeceuticals range of products in India
- Unicity International, headquartered in Orem, Utah, United States has launched world's first ever Genomeceutical (gene controlling) range of products to India.
Cabinet approves pact on India-Israel tech Fund
- The cabinet today approved memorandum of understanding signed between India and Israel to set up USD 40 million fund for industrial research and technological innovation.
Schemes / Programme
Fourth Session of the India-Tanzania Joint Trade Committee (JTC)
- The Fourth Session of the India-Tanzania Joint Trade Committee meeting was held in New Delhi, on 29th September, 2017. The Indian delegation was led by Honble Minister for State for Commerce and Industry (Independent Charge) Ms. Nirmala Sitharaman. The Tanzanian delegation was led by the Honble, Minister for Industry, Trade and Investment Mr. Charles John Mwijage.
India-Myanmar to sign MOU for conservation of quake-damaged Pagodas at Bagan
- India and Myanmar will sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the conservation of earthquake-damaged pagodas at Bagan during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Myanmar next week.
- The cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Myanmar for the conservation of earthquake-damaged pagodas at Bagan, Myanmar.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
10th India-European Union Counter Terrorism Dialogue
- The 10th India-European Union Counter Terrorism Dialogue was held at New Delhi today. The Indian delegation was led by Shri Mahaveer Singhvi, Joint Secretary for Counter Terrorism at the Ministry of External Affairs of India, while the European Union’s delegation was led by Mr. Pawel Herczynski, Director for Security Policy, European External Action Service.
Awards & Honours
Niti Aayog awards 12 women for 'transforming India'
- Union minister Smriti Irani and Niti Aayog Vice Chairman Arvind Panagariya today awarded 12 women to recognise the transformational impact of work undertaken by them across India's villages, towns and cities.
Konkani author Mahabaleshwar Sail gets Saraswati Samman
- Eminent Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail has been honoured with the Saraswati Samman 2016 for his novel Hawthan. The award comprises a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh and a citation.
Kohli breaks Ganguly's record of most tons by Indian captain
- Virat Kohli scored his 17th international hundred as captain against Sri Lanka on Thursday, overtaking Sourav Ganguly's record of 16 hundreds as Team India skipper. Out of Kohli's 17 international hundreds as captain, seven have come in ODIs while the remaining have come in Tests. Australia's Ricky Ponting holds the record for most centuries scored as captain, at 41.