Governor General and Viceroy of India (Complete Notes)
In 1773 AD by regulating act Governor General Post introduced first, “Board of Control” and “Department of India Affairs” was established. Indian Governor and Governor General Rule set p according to Indian council ac 1861 and 1892.
ROBERT CLIVE (1758-60)
- 1st GOVERNOR OF BENGAL AFTER BATTLE OF POLASHI (1757), Sirajudulla defeated in this war.
- Battle of 3rd Karnataka and take the power from Nijam.
- On his time, there are many place of munger and beagla, where different kind of battle over.
- Mirkashim become emperor of Bengal.
- Battle of Baxer (1765), Mirkashim again emperor of Bengal.
ROBERT CLIVE (175-67):
- Generate the Power to collect tax Bengal, Bihar and Odisha.
- Establishment dual government of Bengal.
- First battle of Mohishur.
- He did not solve any own business problem.
- Bengal Inauspicious Time (1770)
WARRWN HASTINGS (1772-85):
- Extinct Dual Government (1772), establishment Board of Revenue and other Governmental work.
- Transfer Government Bank from Murshidabad to Calcutta (Kolkata)
- He was the last Governor of Bengal and 1st Governor General of Bengal as per Regulating Act 1773.
- Battle of 1st Maratha (1775)
- Pitts India act (1784) was start on his time.
- Asiatic society was established by William Jones (1784) in presence of Hastings.
- Calcutta Supreme Court was established by Hastings on 1774.
LORD CORNWALLIS (1786-93):
- ON 22ND MARCH, 1796 HE INTRODUCED PARMANENT SETTLEMENT.
- START RULE OF LAW.
- Cornwallis also called “Father of Civil Service”.
- Introduced 1st Chatter act on 1793.
- 3rd battle of Mohishur was held on 1790.
- The Treaty of Seringapatnam on 1792 with Tipu Sultan.
SIR JOHN SHOR(1793-98):
- On his time on 1793 the way of business path of British in India become simplicity.
- Nijam defeated by Maratha on 1795.
LORD WELLESLEY (1798-1805):
- Introduced Subsidiary Alliance system and Nijam 1st accept this system first on 1798.
- He describe oneself as a “Bengal tiger”.
- Tipu Sultan Defeat and Death in 4th Anglo-Mysore war on 1799.
- Treaty of Basin and 2nd Maratha war on 1802 on his time.
- Establishment Madraj Presidency on 1801.
SIR George Barlow (1805-07):
- He returns back due to Vellore Revolt on 1807.
Lord Minot (1st 1807-13):
- He finished Tribankur war on 1808.
- Passed 2nd Chatter Act(1813).
- Treaty of Amritsar with Ranjit Singh on 1809.
LORD HASTINGS (1813-23):
- Defeat pindari and 3rd Maratha war on 1817-19.
- Connected Peshoya emperor with Bombay and establishment Bombay Presidency on 1818.
- Ryotawari settlement in madras (1820) and introduced Tomas Munro as a Governor.
Lord Amherst (1823-28):
- Win 1st Anglo –Burmese War on 1824.
- Adoption Bhagalpur on 1826 and Malay coast area also coming to the power in Anglo.
- He was the last Governor of Bengal and 1st Governor General in India.
- Extinct Sati and other cruel activities in India in 1829 supported by Raja Rammohun Roy.
- His acceptance English language in Education system and introduce “Maycular Minuite:
- Establish the area of Agra in 1834.
- Treaty with Ranjit Singh (1831) and with aimr group (1832).
- Use local language in court. In upper court English language and in lower court Farashi language.
- He also be called as a “Father of Modern Western Education in India”.
- Passed the Charter Act (1833).
- 1st Medical College at Calcutta in India (1835).
Sir Charles Metcalf (1834-1836):
- Press Law passed by Metcalf.
Lord Auckland (1836-42):
- Defeat in 1st Anglo-Afghan war and leave India due to prestige of British in India.
Lord Ellenborough (1842-44):
- Gwalior war held in 1843.
Click The Link to Read Part 2: Click Me