One Liner GK Current Affairs - 21st May 2018
Read our today's One Liner GK Current Affairs for 21st May 2018 which are very important for those of you who are preparing for all kinds of Competitive Examinations. We also bring to you a list of Static GK and Note Down Points along with Daily Quiz Sets which you should practice on a regular basis to enhance your knowledge in the GK section. Do follow our Latest Updated News Headlines.
- Anti-Terrorism Day is observed on 21st May to generate awareness in the country among all sections of people, about the danger of terrorism and violence and its effect on the people, society and the country as a whole.
First in India & World
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur has set up India’s first Centre for Energy Regulation (CER) with the help of Government of United Kingdom
New Appointments: National
- Anil Kumar Jha, chairman and managing director of subsidiary Mahanadi Coalfields, is likely to take over as the chairman of its holding company, Coal India.
RBI in News
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of 5 crore on South Indian Bank (SIB) for non-compliance with its directions on Income Recognition and Asset Classification (IRAC) norms, Know Your Customer (KYC) norms and treasury function.
Rankings & Indexes
- According to the AfrAsia Bank Global Wealth Migration Review, India is the sixth wealthiest country in the world with a total wealth of USD 8,230 billion.
- Reliance Industries Limited has received environment clearance for the expansion and optimisation of its petrochemical complex at Nagothane in Raigad district of Maharashtra at an estimated cost of Rs 2,338 crore.
- Venezuela's President Nicolás Maduro has won re-election to another six-year term, in a vote marred by an opposition boycott and claims of vote-rigging.
- Russia Unveils World’s First Floating Nuclear Plant Before Journey To Siberia
Defence & Railway News
- The Aeronautical Development Agency, which had conceived and designed the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, has set the ball rolling for building the next generation defence aircraft, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), by extending an invitation to private players in Coimbatore to build a technology demonstrator
- The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has commissioned special unit called Bastariya Battalion (numbered 241) to combat Naxals activities in Bastar Region of Chattisgarh.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
- Senior executives of NMDC Limited and NLC India Limited are expected to visit Australia to sign a joint R&D agreement with Environmental Clean Technologies Limited (ECT).
Summit /Conference / Events
- The 26th BASIC Ministerial Meeting of Environment Ministers was held in Durban, South Africa.
Awards & Honours: Sports
- Lionel Messi wins European Golden Shoe for the fifth time
- Prajnesh Gunneswaran won the prestigious T.K. Ramanathan award for the year 2017-18 at the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA) annual day function at the SDAT tennis stadium
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
- Asian, Arab, and women filmmakers scored big at the closing ceremony of the 71st Cannes Film Festival, while Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda took home the top prize — the Palme d’Or.
Other Sports & Award Related News
- The India women's hockey team will take on a formidable South Korea in their last round-robin match at the 5th Women's Asian Champions Trophy
STATIC GK AND NOTE DOWN POINTS
- UK Capital: London
- UK Prime minister: Theresa May
- UK Currency: Pound sterling
- RBI Bank rate: 6.00%
- RBI Interest on reserves: 4.00%
- RBI Headquarters: Mumbai
- RBI Governor: Urjit Patel
- RIL: Reliance Industries Limited
- RIL CEO: Mukesh Ambani
- South Indian Bank Headquarters: Thrissur
- South Indian Bank CEO: V. G. Mathew
- Venezuela President: Nicolás Maduro
- Venezuela Capital: Caracas
- Venezuela Currency: Venezuelan bolívar
- Russia Capital: Moscow
- Russia Currency: Russian ruble
- Russia President: Vladimir Putin
- South Africa President: Cyril Ramaphosa Trending
- South Africa Capitals: Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein
- South Africa Currency: South African rand
- South Korean President: Moon Jae-in Trending
- South Korean Capital: Seoul
- South Korean Prime minister: Lee Nak-yeon
- 'NLC India Limited' Headquarters: Chennai, India
- 'NLC India Limited': Neyveli Lignite Corporation