One Liner GK Current Affairs - 20th May 2018
Achieversrule has once again brought to you a list of Latest News under different sections along with GK Pointers in One Liner GK Current Affairs - 20th May 2018. These are important for the upcoming examinations of IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and Railway. Aspirants will find this really helpful while taking preparation for these exams. The GK part is specifically important for the SSC kind of exams while news under Banking are vital for Bank exams. Also go through the CA Updates and the CA Quiz part. We appreciate your feedback and are always trying to provide you with the best material in the market.
New Appointments: National
- Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar sworn in as chief justice of Manipur high court
- BAI President Himanta Biswa Sarma was elected as the Vice-President of Badminton Asia Confederation (BAC) during the Annual General Meeting of the continental body in Bangkok, Thailand.
New Appointments: International
- Gina Haspel confirmed as CIA's first female director
- Indian origin Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal's sister Susheela becomes first South Asian to be elected in Oregon
RBI in News
- The Reserve Bank has advanced the meeting of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) by a day to June 4 and also increased the duration to three days due to "certain administrative exigencies".
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
- The UN World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) as of mid-2018, said GDP growth in India is expected to climb to 7.5 and 7.6 percent in fiscal years 2017-18 and 2018-19 respectively
- India Post plays an important role in financial services, reaching out in the rural areas with its large and efficient network.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has slapped a penalty of 50 million on South Indian Bank Limited for non-compliance with the directions issued by it.
- The Commission for Scientific and Technical Terminology has decided to adopt the word ‘AYUSH’ in Hindi and English languages for scientific and technical purposes.
- Minister Harsh Vardhan's 'Green Good Deeds' gets global recognition
- BS Yeddyurappa Quits As Karnataka Chief Minister
- Prime Minister of the Netherlands Mark Rutte will visit India on May 24 and 25 with an aim to boost the economic and political cooperation between the two countries.
- The Ministry of Commerce issued a notification for a unified Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR) that would subsume the Directorate General of Anti-dumping and Allied duties, Directorate General of Safeguards and some functions of the Directorate General of Foreign Trade.
- India and European Union together organised a two-day workshop on countering online radicalisation in which experts from both sides discussed various aspects related to radicalisation, best practices, capacity building and sharing of information etc.
- The Supreme Court brushed aside all objections from Karnataka to the proposed Cauvery Board that will oversee actual water-sharing arrangements under the Cauvery Water Tribunal Award between the riparian states and ordered the central government to notify it before the monsoons.
- Mobile users will not need to buy a new SIM while changing service provider or buying a new connection, according to new guidelines issued by the Department of Telecom to allow use of embedded SIMs (eSIM).
Defence & Railway News
- The Aeronautical Development Agency, which had conceived and designed the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, has set the ball rolling for building the next generation defence aircraft, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), by extending an invitation to private players in Coimbatore to build a technology demonstrator.
Schemes / Programme
- The Union Environment Ministry launched its full fledged Green Skill Development Programme(GSDP) that aims to train over 5.5 lakh workers in environment and forest sectors in the country through 30 courses by 2021.
- The Union environment ministry has launched a drive aimed at cleaning 24 beaches and water bodies as well as 24 polluted river stretches in the run-up to the World Environment Day on June 5
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
- NITI Aayog, in association with Vision India Foundation, is organising the Venture Capital Symposium 2018 to deepen the economic relationships between France and India.
Summit /Conference / Events
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be on a day-long visit to Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday during which he will lay the foundation for Zojila tunnel on the Srinagar-Leh National Highway beside launching several other development projects.
Awards & Honours: Sports
- India's Shivangi Pathak has become youngest women of the country to scale Mt Everest from Nepal side.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
- India’s Jagriti Yatra wins charity award in UK
- The ongoing 71st Cannes International Film Festival honoured late Sridevi, who died suddenly in February this year in a Dubai hotel, with a special salute to the Sadma star at the Titan Reginald F Lewis Film Honours
- NMDC Limited has bagged the prestigious S&P Global PLATTS Global Metals Award 2018 in corporate social responsibility (CSR) category held on 17.05.2018 at London.
- Leading NRI industrialist Lord Swraj Paul has received a lifetime achievement award for his contributions towards promoting brand India in the UK.
Other Sports & Award Related News
- The inaugural National Para Games, on the lines of National Games for able-bodied athletes, will be held under the Khelo India Scheme in June-July in Bengaluru.
STATIC GK AND NOTE DOWN POINTS
- Manipur Governor: Chura Chand Singh
- Manipur Chief minister: N. Biren Singh
- CIA: Central Intelligence Agency
- CIA Headquarters: Virginia, United States
- CIA Founder: Harry S. Truman
- RBI Interest on reserves: 4.00%
- RBI Bank rate: 6.00%
- RBI Headquarters: Mumbai
- RBI Governor: Urjit Patel
- Headquarters: Thrissur
- South Indian Bank CEO: V. G. Mathew
- Karnataka Capital: Bengaluru
- Aeronautical Development Agency
- Aeronautical Development Agency Headquarters: Bengaluru
- France President: Emmanuel Macron
- France Capital: Paris
- France Prime minister: Edouard Philippe
- Nepal Capital: Kathmandu
- Nepal Prime minister: Khadga Prasad Oli
- Nepal Currency: Nepalese rupee
- Nepal President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- UK's Prime minister: Theresa May Trending
- UK's Capital: London
- UK's Currency: Pound sterling