Current Affairs Updates - 3rd May 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 3rd May 2018 consists of a list of news headlines and important and Latest Current Affairs Updates which are very important for the upcoming government examinations of Bank like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar exams. Moreover, aspirants should go through in details to have a detailed knowledge of all these points. We hope aspirants will find this article really helpful in their preparation of Current Affairs.
New Appointments: National
Sitanshu Kar new DG of Press Information Bureau
- Sitanshu Ranjan Kar, a 1983 batch officer of Indian Information Service, took over as principal spokesperson of Government of India and Director General of Press Information Bureau (PIB) in New Delhi on Wednesday. Kar succeeded Frank Noronha, who superannuated on April 30.
Former IAS officer Subhash Chandra Khuntia was today appointed as the new Chairman of Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India (IRDAI) for three-years.
- His appointment was approved by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), IRDAI said in a statement.
RBI in News
RBI allows FPIs to invest in treasury bills, yields likely to fall
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) allowed foreign portfolio investors (FPI) to invest in shorter maturity Government bonds such as treasury bills, subject to the 20 percent overall limit for investments in government securities as well as corporate bonds of less than one year maturity .
Rankings & Indexes
India had 14 out of world’s 20 most polluted cities in terms of PM2.5 levels in 2016, says WHO
- Delhi and Varanasi are among the 14 Indian cities that figure in a list of 20 most polluted cities in the world in terms of PM2.5 levels in 2016, data released by the WHO shows.
Cabinet approves accession to protocol under WHO framework convention to eliminate illicit tobacco trade
- The union cabinet has given approval for India to accede to the protocol under World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC) to eliminate illicit trade in tobacco products.
The government today released draft of new telecom policy - National Digital Communications Policy 2018 - with an aim to provide access of broadband with 50 megabit per second to every citizen, attract USD 100 billion investment in the sector and create 40 lakh jobs by 2022.
- The policy recognises the importance of continued improvement in the regulatory framework for attracting investments and ensuring fair competition, to serve the needs of Indian citizens. Given the sector's capital-intensive nature, the policy aims to attract long-term, high quality and sustainable investments
The Telecom Commission (TC) approved various issues including in-flight connectivity and internet telephony and telephone ombudsman for addressing customer complaints.
- For the in-flight connectivity will be allowed within the Indian air space with a licence fee of Rupee 1 for the Telecom service provider and the consumer price will be decided by the operator and the airline company, senior Department of Telecom (DoT) official told reporters here.
Core sector growth slows to 4.1% in March
- The growth of eight core sectors slowed to a three-month low of 4.1% in March due to weak performance in six sectors including coal, crude oil and natural gas.
The draft of National Telecom Policy (NTP) 2018 aka National Digital Communications Policy 2018 has been uploaded for public consultations on the Department of Telecom's (DoT) website
- One of the key strategies in the draft talks of recognising spectrum as a key natural resource for public benefit to achieve India’s socio-economic goals, optimise availability and utilisation by making adequate spectrum available to be equipped for the new broadband era.
Party poppers, commonly used during celebrations and events, have been banned owing to the health risks it poses, including severe eye trauma and other facial injuries
- The CPCB, in its office memorandum, said that all such party poppers have been banned, except those which are using compressed air as the charge material and soft papers as streamers.
The Hyderabad City police launched the eOffice System in the city Police Commissionerate office as a citizen-friendly initiative.
- eOffice is a 'product suit' developed by NIC and it aims at handling files in a more efficient and transparent manner to improve the responsiveness to citizens.
Telecom Commission clears connectivity in flights, creation of ombudsman & internet telephony
- The highest decision making body of the telecom ministry also approved another consumer benefitting initiative of creating a telecom Ombudsman under Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai), for which it will also amend the Trai Act.
Telecom sector to get ombudsman to handle consumer grievances
- The apex decision making body of the telecom ministry said necessary amendments will be initiated in TRAI Act for effective enforcement of the new complaint redressal mechanism.
Applications for setting up of Inland Container Depots (ICDs), Container Freight Stations (CFSs) and Air Freight Stations (AFSs) will now be handled by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs, according to a government notification.
- The move is aimed at promoting ease of doing business at trade front, a commerce ministry official said.
Government extends MEIS export benefits to certain handicraft products
- According to a public notice of the directorate general of foreign trade, these benefits are provided under merchandise Export from India Scheme (MEIS).
Dominican Republic establishes ties with China, breaks with Taiwan
- The Dominican Republic and China announced they were establishing diplomatic relations today as the Caribbean country becomes the latest nation to dump Taiwan in the face of Beijing's growing influence.
Schemes / Programme
Cabinet approves Doubling of Investment Limit for Senior Citizens from Rs. 7.5 lakh to Rs.15 lakh under Pradhan MantriVayaVandanYojana (PMVVY)
- The Union Cabinet chaired by chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for extending the investment limit from Rs 7.5 lakhs to Rs 15 lakhs as well as extension of time limits for subscription from 4thMay 2018 to 31stMarch, 2020 under the Pradhan MantriVayaVandanYojana (PMVVY) as part of Government's commitment for financial inclusion and social security.
In an outreach to farmers, the Modi Governmentis organising 'Kisan KalyanKaryashala' tomorrow at the block level across the country, with the BJP asking its MPs to attend the programme.
- The workshops will be part of the ongoing 'Gram Swaraj Abhiyan', which is being seen as the government's and ruling BJP's campaign to connect with scheduled castes and tribes, besides youths and farmers, by highlighting and expanding several welfare initiatives of the Modi dispensation
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India and Japan have agreed to further strengthen bilateral cooperation in energy development space as well as contribute to worldwide energy security and solutions to climate change issues.
- Also, both countries agreed to initiate a discussion on electric vehicles (EVs) and work together in promoting well-functioning energy markets, according to a statement issued after the 9th India Japan Energy Dialogue here.
Summit /Conference / Events
India- South Africa Business Summit Concludes in Johannesburg
- The visit began with a series of bilateral meetings: he met Dr. Rob Davies, Minister of Trade and Industry of South Africa and ministers from Swaziland, Botswana and Lesotho.
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to be held in Varanasi
- The next Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in the holy city of Varanasi in January with the Indian diaspora having an option to participate in Kumbha Snan and attend the Republic Day parade in New Delhi, an official in the Indian Embassy in Washington has said.
The bilateral trade for the year 2018 between the traders of India and China through the Nathu La border started on Tuesday with traders and government officials from both sides exchanging gifts and greetings.
- Traders from India and the Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR) said they were optimistic that there would be no problems this year, the Sikkim government official said, adding that the trade was stopped in July last year.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Lewis Hamilton wins the Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton's win at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix looked incredibly unlikely with as little as three laps to go, as Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas had victory cruelly snatched from him with a late puncture.
Mohamed Salah named writers' Footballer of the Year
- Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah has been named the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Legendary Singer Asha Bhosle Honored with PC Chandra Puraskaar
- Legendary singer Asha Bhosle was honoured with 26th PC Chandra Puraskaar for her contribution in the field of Indian music.
Eminent economist and former West Bengal Finance Minister Ashok Mitra dead
- Noted scholar and the first Finance Minister in the Left Front government in West Bengal Ashok Mitra passed away in a private hospital in Kolkata on Tuesday morning.