Current Affairs Updates - 22nd May 2018
Read our Current Affairs Updates - 22nd May 2018 where we have brought for all our readers the Latest Current Affairs Headlines which are very important on your preparation phase for the examination. Aspirants should go through these in details as these are all Updated News and are important for exams such as IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, Railway and other Competitive Examinations. Readers must go through these in details and also follow our Static GK and Note Down Points along with Daily Current Affairs Quiz.
Anti-Terrorism Day to be observed on 21st May
- The Day is observed to generate awareness in the country among all sections of people, about the danger of terrorism and violence and its effect on the people, society and the country as a whole.
New Appointments: National
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of Mahanadi Coalfields chief Anil Kumar Jha as Chairman and Managing Director of Coal India.
- Jha will likely replace Coal Ministry’s Additional Secretary Suresh Kumar, who had recently assumed additional charge as the coal behemoth’s chief
RBI in News
RBI slaps 5-cr penalty on South Indian Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of ₹5 crore on South Indian Bank (SIB) for non-compliance with its directions on Income Recognition and Asset Classification (IRAC) norms, Know Your Customer (KYC) norms and treasury function.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The domestic GDP growth rate is expected to improve to 7.4% in Q4 FY18 from 7.2% in Q3 FY18, exceeding the implicit forecast of 7.1% embedded in the Central Statistics Office’s (CSO’s) Second Advance Estimate of National Income for 2017-18.
- As per ICRA, the growth of the Indian gross value added (GVA) at basic prices in year-on-year (yoy) terms is likely to record a considerable recovery to 7.3% in Q4 FY18 from 6.7% in Q3 FY18, thereby rebounding above 7.0% after a gap of five quarters.
RIL gets green nod for Rs 2,338 cr expansion project in Maharashtra
- RIL has received environment clearance for the expansion and optimisation of its petrochemical complex at Nagothane in Raigad district of Maharashtra at an estimated cost of Rs 2,338 crore.
India said it has decided to wind up a camp office of its embassy in Nepal as the purpose for which it was set up has been fulfilled.
- The purpose for which this camp office was opened has been fulfilled. Government of India had already decided to wind up the camp office and re-locate the personnel
According to the Customs Brokers Licensing Regulations, 2018, notified by the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) recently, an applicant seeking to get a licence for customs broker should hold Aadhaar as well as PAN card.
- 'Customs broker' is a person licensed to act as an agent on behalf of importer/exporter for transaction of business relating to entry or departure of conveyances or goods at any customs station, including audit.
Venezuela's President Nicolás Maduro has won re-election to another six-year term, in a vote marred by an opposition boycott and claims of vote-rigging.
- The National Electoral Council (CNE) put it at just 46% but the opposition alleges it was even lower.
Defence & Railway News
Tamil Nadu to Build India’s Next Generation Defence Aircraft
- The Aeronautical Development Agency, which had conceived and designed the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, has set the ball rolling for building the next generation defence aircraft, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), by extending an invitation to private players in Coimbatore to build a technology demonstrator.
India successfully test-fired the Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from a test range along the Odisha coast to validate some new features.
- The missile was test-fired from a mobile launcher stationed at Launch pad 3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur near here at 10.40 am, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
The Indian and Vietnamese navies will hold their first-ever joint exercise from 21-25 May to augment the bilateral comprehensive strategic partnership agreed by the two countries in 2016.
- The service pointed out that the manoeuvres are meant to boost the IN’s “extensive interactions” with People’s Army of Vietnam Navy (PAVN) that include training, maintenance, and logistics support.
CRPF raises 'Bastariya Battalion' to combat Naxals activities
- In a bid to enhance combat capabilities in Naxal-hit area of Bastar district in Chhattisgarh, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), for the first time, has decided to include local representation in a special unit.
Chetak Corps' enageged in exercise 'Gandiv Vijay' in Rajasthan
- Thousands of soldiers with war fighting equipment of South Western Command's Chetak corps are engaged in intensive training in Mahajan field firing ranges of Rajasthan under exercise 'Gandiv Vijay'.
Schemes / Programme
Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana in Haryana for Women Safety
- Haryana govt. is going to launch Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana for safety of girls.
- Under this scheme, all the girl students will get free travel facility from their home to their educational institutions.
The Director General of the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) Shri Rajiv Ranjan Mishra inspected the Yamuna River Front Development (RFD) project being implemented by Delhi Development Authority (DDA)
- Yamuna RFD project aims to restore, revive and rejuvenate the river’s floodplains and make them accessible to the people of Delhi. River Front “walks”, a major component of the project, will enable people to develop a relationship with river Yamuna.
N'tnl convention on 'Rejuvenation of Krishna River' on May 22
- The 'National Convention on Rejuvenation of the Krishna River', IWC's first event, will see participation of over 300 delegates of government organisations from various states and NGOs, including Rajendra Singh, known as 'Waterman of India', Telangana Water Resources Development Corporation Chairman V Prakash Rao told reporters here.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
NMDC Limited and NLC India Limited (formerly Neyveli Lignite Corporation) may invest over USD 26 million for setting up an R&D facility for developing innovative technologies in iron and steel making.
- Senior executives of NMDC Limited and NLC India Limited are expected to visit Australia to sign a joint R&D agreement with Environmental Clean Technologies Limited.
Awards & Honours: Sports
South Korea defeat India to lift 5th Women's Asian Champions Trophy
- Defending Champions Indian Women’s Hockey Team lost to hosts South Korea 0-1 in the Final match of the 5th Women’s Asian Champions Trophy played here at the Sunrise Stadium
Lionel Messi wins European Golden Shoe for the fifth time
- The Argentina internationalclaimed the prize after scoring 34 goals in La Liga this season, helping his club to a 25th league triumph.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Prajnesh Gunneswaran won the prestigious T.K. Ramanathan award for the year 2017-18 at the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA) annual day function at the SDAT tennis stadium
- Cash prizes were given to the winners and the runners-up of the Chennai City inter-club tennis leagues — the Sanmar-TNTA league, the Sanmar-TNTA 45+ and 60+ Veterans’ league, and the UCAL-TNTA mixed doubles championship.
Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency (TNeGA) has received an award for promoting ease of doing business by developing an investor facilitation portal that provides single window clearance to industrial proposals in the state.
- The award was given in recognition of simplification of procedure and ease with which clearances from various authorities can be procured by a business, Anand Patil.
Paweł Pawlikowski wins best director award at Cannes
- Oscar-winning Polish-British filmmaker Paweł Pawlikowski has walked away with the best director award at this year’s Cannes Film Festival for his movie "Cold War."
Writer Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani dies aged 78
- Veteran writer, novelist Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani, who along with her women counterparts Arikepudi Kousalya Devi and Ranganayakamma, heralded a new era in Telugu fictional literature since the 1950s, passed away at California on Monday.
Prominent historian Lewis dead
- Historian Bernard Lewis, whose influential books shaped generations of scholars on the West Asian region but whose views stirred fierce passions, died at an assisted living facility on Saturday, The Washington Post reported. He was 101.