Current Affairs Updates - 1st May 2018
In our today's Current Affairs Updates for 1st May2018, we have brought to you some sorted and important news headlines based on the current trend in the examination pattern. These are based on the upcoming examinations of Bank, Rail and SSC. Aspirants should go through all of these news in details as they are very important. For now we are going to bring to you regular updates. Also, wait for our Monthly inshorts as it is going to be released soon. The Daily Current Affairs Quiz and One Liner Static GK will also be resumed in a while. Thanks for your cooperation!!!
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to be held in Varanasi
- The next Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in the holy city of Varanasi in January with the Indian diaspora having an option to participate in Kumbha Snan and attend the Republic Day parade in New Delhi.
New Appointments: National
Uday Kotak redesignated as MD & CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank
- The board of directors of Kotak Mahindra Bank has redesignated Uday Kotak as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer with effect from 1 May, 2018.
Jammu and Kashmir cabinet reshuffle updates: Kavinder Gupta replaces Nirmal Singh as deputy CM
- Governor NN Vohra administered the oath of office and secrecy to eight ministers, some of who took the oath in English and others in Hindi at the Convention Centre in Jammu amid tight security arrangements.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
HDFC Bank launches interactive humanoid IRA 2.0 in Bengaluru
- HDFC Bank has announced the launch of IRA 2.0, its interactive humanoid. In its new avatar, IRA will enhance user experience for customers visiting the Koramangala branch in Bengaluru.
India’s GDP likely to grow 7.5% in FY19: Deutsche Bank report
- The Indian economy is witnessing a “cyclical upswing” and the country is likely clock a GDP growth of 7.5% this financial year, says a Deutsche Bank research report.
ISA to create ecosystems for startups in solar innovations
- International Solar Alliance (ISA) will create ecosystems for startups in solar innovations by enabling incubation, partnerships, access to finance and standards.
Defence & Railway News
In a first, arch rivals India and Pakistan will be part of a multi-nation counter-terror exercise in Russia in September, which will also be joined by China and several other countries.
- The military exercise will take place under the framework of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, a China-dominated security grouping which is increasingly seen as a counterweight to NATO.
Application / Portal
One97 Communications Limited, the owner of digital payment major, Paytm, announced the launch of its offline payments solution - the Paytm Tap Card, in line with the company's vision to provide seamless payments solutions for non-internet customers.
- This card uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to enable safe and convenient digital payments, completely offline at Paytm-issued, NFC PoS terminals, in under a second.
Schemes / Programme
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has inaugurated 'Odisha Skills 2018', the state-level chapter of India Skill competition organised by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)
- Coinciding with the birth anniversary of the architect of modern Odisha Madhusudan Das, The two-day competition, which began yesterday, has about 7000 participants from across the state competing in six sectors and 25 skills.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
Maharashtra government signs MoU with British Council on education and cultural collaboration
- The announcement comes at a time when the UK's international culture and educational arm completes seventy years of its existence in India and on the heels of PM Narendra Modi's visit to London.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Rafael Nadal beats Stefanos Tsitsipas to win 11th Barcelona Open title
- World number one Rafael Nadal produced an imperious display to win his 11th Barcelona Open title with a 6-2 6-1 win over Greek teenager Stefanos Tsitsipas.
Barcelona clinch La Liga title as Messi treble downs Deportivo
- Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick and Philippe Coutinho added a goal to give Barcelona a 4-2 win at Deportivo La Coruna and an insurmountable 11-point lead over Atletico Madrid.
The fit-again duo of Sumit Sangwan (91kg) and Nikhat Zareen (51kg) was among the three gold-medallists in India's stupendous campaign at the 56th Belgrade International Boxing Tournament in Serbia.
- Himanshu Sharma (49kg), who defeated Algeria's Mohammed Touareg 5-0 in his final bout, was the third top spot finisher last night as India ended the tournament with three gold, five silver and five bronze medals in all.
Prajnesh wins maiden singles title on Challenger circuit
- Prajnesh Gunneswaran clinched his first ever singles title on the ATP Challenger circuit when he downed Egypt's Mohammed Safwat in the final of the Kunming Open in Anning, a victory which will push him inside top-200.
India's C A Bhavani Devi won a silver medal in the sabre event of the Tournoi World Cup Satellite Fencing Championship in Reykjavik, Iceland
- She had beaten Parede Torres 15-9 in the quarterfinal and followed it up by getting past Guila Arpino of Italy 15-10 in the semifinal. She posted a picture of herself with the medal on her.
Lewis Hamilton wins Azerbaijan Grand Prix after Red Bulls suffer calamity
- From formulaic through to a denouement that simply could not have been scripted, the streets of Baku were once again the stage for a compelling, dramatic performance.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Awards 2018: Manisha Koirala, Konkona Sensharma and Farida Jalal win big
- Manisha Koirala, Konkona Sensharma, Armaan Malik, Neeti Mohan, Farida Jalal, Amit Sadh and Manish Paul among others were honoured at the Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Awards 2018 held on April 29 in Mumbai.
Gujarati poet Sitanshu Yashaschandra's "Vakhar" chosen for Saraswati Samman
- Eminent Gujarati poet Sitanshu Yashaschandra's poetry collection "Vakhar" has been chosen for the Saraswati Samman for 2017, the K K Birla Foundation has announced.
Pankaj Roy, Gaekwad get Lifetime Award
N Sikki Reddy recommended for Arjuna Award
- Women’s doubles shuttler N Sikki Reddy has been recommended for Arjuna Award by the Badminton Association of India (BAI).