Current Affairs Updates - 24th April 2018
Today we have brought to you some of the ongoing topics and Latest News Headlines under our today's Current Affairs Updates - 24th April 2018. These news comes under different sections of National Affairs, International Affairs, Ranking, Schemes, Obituary and other similar sections. These are very important for IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, Railway and SBI PO and SBI CLERK and aspirants should go through these in details to know more about the Current Affairs section. Aspirants should also practice the Daily Current Affairs Quiz and Static One Liner and GK Note Down points.
First in India
Manipur’s Karang is India’s first cashless island
- The Union ministry of electronics and information technology under its Digital India programme announced Karang as the first cashless island in India on Friday. Confirming it, deputy commissioner M Harekrishna of Bishnupur district said the island fulfilled the Centre’s necessary criteria.
New Appointments: International
Mario Abdo Benitez elected as Paraguay's president
- Conservative candidate Mario Abdo Benitez of Paraguay's ruling Colorado Party narrowly defeated his opposition in the country's presidential elections.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
India’s GDP expected to reach 5 trillion dollar by 2025: Economic Affairs Secretary
- India is poised to remain the fastest growing large economy in the world and its GDP is expected to reach 5 trillion dollar by 2025 as the economic reforms adopted in the last few years have started to bear fruit
Axis Bank picks Egon Zehnder to find new CEO
- Axis Bank, which recently said that the tenure of MD and CEO Shikha Sharma would end on December 31, has appointed global recruitment firm Egon Zehnder to find a successor for the top post.
Rankings & Indexes
India to top global remittances chart with USD 66 billion in 2017: World Bank
- India is expected to retain its position as the top remittances receiving country, with its diaspora set to pump in a whopping USD 65 billion in the year 2017, the World Bank said today.
AFSPA removed from Meghalaya after 27 years
- With insurgency-related incidents in the northeast region down by 85% from the levels recorded at the peak of militancy two decades ago, the Centre has withdrawn the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) totally from Meghalaya as well as from eight out of 16 police stations in Arunachal Pradesh, with effect from March 31, 2018.
Bengal has once again topped in the country with Digambarpur Gram Panchayat (GP) bagging the Centre’s award for the best GP in the country.
- Besides this, some more Gram Panchayats in districts including Purulia, Birbhum and Burdwan have also been awarded special prizes for certain achievements.
TCS First Indian IT Company To Touch 100 Billion Dollar Market Value
- TCS shares moved nearly 4 per cent higher today at day's high, extending their Friday's surge. TCS shares rose today by 4 per cent to Rs. 3,557, pushing the market capitalisation of India's biggest outsourcer to over Rs. 6.8 lakh crore.
Former foreign secretary Subrahmanyam Jaishankar set to join Tata group
- Former foreign secretary, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar is all set to join the Tata group as President of Global Corporate Affairs.
Defence & Railway News
Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba arrived in Tehran to participate in a three-day symposium aimed at strengthening maritime cooperation between different countries in the Indian Ocean region
- During his visit, Lanba will hold bilateral discussions with the Commander of the Iranian Navy, and other participating chiefs of navies and heads of maritime agencies during the 6th edition of the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) in Tehran between April 23 and 25.
Books & Authors
Nitish Kumar Launches 3 Books titled- 'Mister M K Gandhi Ki Champaran Diary' written by Arvind Mohan, 'Champaran Andolan 1917' edited by Ashutosh Partheshwar and 'Pir Muhammad Munis: Kalam Ka Satyagrahi' On Mahatma Gandhi's Champaran Movement.
Nitish Kumar released the books titled- 'Mister M K Gandhi Ki Champaran Diary' written by Arvind Mohan, 'Champaran Andolan 1917' edited by Ashutosh Partheshwar and 'Pir Muhammad Munis: Kalam Ka Satyagrahi' collected and edited by Srikant.
Agreements/ MoUs SignedIndian Overseas Bank (IOB), one of the leading public sector banks, entered into an agreement for information utility services with the National E-Governance Services Limited (NeSL).
- The NeSL became India's first information utility (IU) for bankruptcy cases under the 'Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) 2016' in October 2017.
Summit /Conference / Events
Winners of the ‘1st Print Biennale India 2018’ given away awards in New Delhi
- Lalit Kala Akademi, organised the award ceremony of the 1st Print Biennale India 2018 (PBI)in New Delhi. It was the first-ever International Print Biennale, an International Exhibition of Graphic Prints.
Canada to host meeting of female foreign ministers
- Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland says Canada and the European Union will host the world's first female foreign ministers' meeting in September.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Rafael Nadal beats Kei Nishikori for record 31st Masters title
- Rafael Nadal won a record 31st Masters title after beating Kei Nishikori 6-3, 6-2 in the Monte Carlo Masters final Sunday.
Other Sports & Award Related News
8th South Asian Judo Championship begins in Lalitpur near Kathmandu where India return with 10 gold medals
- Besides host Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka participating in a three day championship.
- All seven Indian women won gold medals, while three men out of six bagged the yellow metal at the continental level judo event held in Nepal.
Mohamed Salah named PFA Premier League player of the year
- Liverpool forward Mohamed 'Mo' Salah has won the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) player of the year award for the 2017-2018 season on Sunday.
The world’s oldest person died at 117. She was the last known person born in the 19th century.
- At 117, Nabi Tajima was older than modern-day Australia, and everyone else known to live on the planet.