Current Affairs Updates - 20th April 2018
Today's Latest and Important News Headlines have been added up in Current Affairs Updates - 20th April 2018. RBI's restriction on City Co-operative Bank, Saudi Arabia's First Cinema Theatre, Amazon's launch of Internet Browser and ‘Study in India’ Programme are all very important for the upcoming government examinations of Bank like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar examinations. These are very important and can be of use to all our readers to begin their preparation.
World Liver Day is being observed on 19th April
- Liver diseases can be caused by hepatitis A, B, C, alcohol and drugs. Viral Hepatitis occurs due to consumption of contaminated food and water, unsafe sexual practices and drug abuse.
New Appointments: National
Dilip Chenoy was appointed as the Secretary General of industry body Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) from succeeding Sanjaya Baru.
- The post of Director General of FICCI was vacant for almost two years until Chenoy came in on January this year.
RBI in News
RBI imposes restrictions on City Co-operative Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) placed restrictions on the business activities of City Co-operative Bank Ltd till such time as its financial position improves.
Committees in News
NSA-headed committee for higher defence management
- According to a government notification, the Defence Planning Committee (DPC) headed by NSA Ajit Doval, will prepare a draft national security strategy, develop a capability development plan, work on defence diplomacy issues and improving defence manufacturing in India.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
In the wake of cash shortage faced by customers at ATMs, State Bank of India (SBI) has urged debit card holders to use any of the 4.78 lakh Point of Sale (PoS) terminals of the bank to withdraw cash.
- Currently, SBI is providing cash withdrawal through PoS without any fees or charges to all bank customers.
India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the worth of the economy, clocked in at 2.6 trillion dollar for 2017, according to the database of the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook (WEO) for April 2018.
- India is now the world’s sixth largest economy, displacing France. The five economies ahead are the United States, China, Japan, Germany and United Kingdom.
Rankings & Indexes
India was today ranked 10th on a new Commonwealth Innovation Index, topped by the UK, Singapore and Canada.
- The index was launched as part of a new Commonwealth Innovation Hub on the sidelines of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM)
The TRA Brand Trust Report 2018 said the State Bank of India was the most-trusted bank (both public and private sector) in the country and ICICI Bank topped the chart among the private ones.
- This year, State Bank of India tops the chart of BFSI (Banking and Financial Services Institutions) super-category despite seeing a dip in its overall brand trust index rankings from 13th in 2017 to 21st this year
Rural Maharashtra Is Now Open Defecation-Free
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis today declared rural areas of the state open defecation-free and claimed the state has constructed the highest number of toilets in the country.
Karan Johar to get his wax statue at Madame Tussauds
- Hindi filmmaker Karan Johar said becoming the first director from India to have his wax statue featured at the legendary Madame Tussauds was a great honour for him.
Saudi Arabia first cinema opens after 35 years
- Saudi Arabia has broken their 35-year ban to launch their first commercial theatre at the symphony hall in Riyadh.
Taiwan will next month open a trade office in New Delhi, part of its efforts to expand business ties with Asia’s third largest economy amid China’s insistence on One China policy
- As Taiwan and India do not have a diplomatic relationship, the trade office in New Delhi is expected to provide services to Indian and Taiwanese companies to expand business.
Application / Portal
Amazon launches Internet, a lite browser app for India’s slower networks
- Amazon has launched a ‘lite’ internet browser for emerging browsers. The web browser has a rather complicated name titled ‘Internet: fast, lite, and private’. It is currently available for Android users in India on Google Play Store.
Schemes / Programme
NITI Aayog to rank states on nutrition under govt's Poshan scheme
- The first meeting of the National Council on India's Nutrition Challenges under Poshan (nutrition) Abhiyaan was convened by NITI Aayog to address the issue through coordination and review meeting between ministries.
Venkaiah Naidu launches Assam govt’s cashless health scheme
- The cashless scheme, 'Atal Amrit Abhiyan', will cover 92 per cent of the state's population with annual income below Rs 5 lakh, he said.
‘Study in India’: Govt launches programme to attract more foreign students to India
- The ‘Study in India’ programme — similar to the initiative launched by Australia, Malaysia, Singapore and Canada — aims at boosting the country’s share of international students and, subsequently, improve the global reputation and rankings of Indian educational institutions.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India and the UK have signed 10 agreements in several sectors including cyber-relationship, rejuvenation of Ganga and skill development.
- The two countries have agreed to an overarching cyber-relationship framework that among others enables the development of a common and shared understanding of the international cyber activity.
India and US set up joint task force on natural gas
- India and the US decided to set up a joint task force on natural gas with a view to promote strategic and economic interest of the two nations.
Summit /Conference / Events
India will host the Global IT Challenge for Youth with Disabilities (GITC) this year, which is expected to be attended by people from 24 Asia-Pacific countries.
- The event will be held in the national capital from November 8 to 11. The Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry's disability division today signed an MoU with the Rehabilitation International, Korea, to host the GITC.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Madhya Pradesh conferred Most Film Friendly state Award
- Madhya Pradesh was chosen from among the 16 States that vied for the award including Andaman and Nicobar, Delhi, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh Maharashtra, Mizoram, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Telangana, Tripura, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
Kendrick Lamar, first rapper to win Pulitzer Prize for music
- American rapper, Kendrick Lamar, won the Pulitzer Prize for music on Monday for his album “DAMN,” organisers announced.
Indian animation expert Bhimsain Khurana dies at 82
Animation pioneer and multiple Indian National Award winner Bhimsain Khurana has died at the age of 82.