Current Affairs Updates - 23rd March 2018
Here in our today's Current Affairs Updates - 23rd March 2018 we have once again sorted out some of the best news from all the Latest and Current News Headlines which are important for all kinds of government exams like IBPS, SSC, RAIL, and RRB. Each of the news have been given in detailed as bullet points so we request readers do go through them in details. A number of news like the Brahmos Supersonic Missile, China's wind tunnel and New Delhi being a top destination for Travelers are some of the hot topics for today. Make sure you also go through the Static Note Down Points section in our One Liner GK and Static Note Down Points Article where we will we providing some GK based points. Also, practice the Daily Current Affairs Quiz on a regular basis to check your knowledge.
First in India & World
Indian Oil Corporation starts home delivery service of diesel
- IOC is now going to deliver diesel at the doorstep of Pune residents.
Rankings & Indexes
Singapore airport rated world's best while Mumbai ranked 63rd
- The Singapore Changi Airport has been named the world's best airport for the sixth consecutive year by consultancy firm Skytrax. The Incheon International Airport in South Korea and Haneda Airport in Japan were placed second and third respectively. While the Mumbai airport has been ranked 63rd, the airports in Bangalore and Delhi are at 64th and 66th place respectively.
New Delhi has been ranked 22nd in the world and eighth in Asia in the top destination for 2018, Travellers' Choice awards for Destinations by TripAdvisor.
- Paris in France topped the list of Travellers' Choice awards for Destinations followed by London (UK), Rome (Italy), Bali (Indonesia), Crete (Greece).
Homegrown online food delivery startup Swiggy has now partnered with digital payments company PhonePe
- The technology and product teams at Swiggy and PhonePe have collaborated to build a one-tap checkout flow for the former’s users.
Permanent ban on hookah bars in Punjab
- Punjab government has decided to impose a permanent ban on hookah bars in the state instead of issuing temporary orders against them every two months.
Nitin Gadkari inaugurates Inland Ferry Services in Goa
- Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Shri Nitin Gadkari today inaugurated the Inland ferry services in the port city of Vasco in Goa.
Jackfruit declared as Kerala’s official fruit
- The aim is to promote the ‘Kerala jackfruit’ as a brand in markets across the country and abroad, showcasing its organic and nutritious qualities, he said. This will also help in boosting the fruit’s production and sale, besides increasing its value-added products.
German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier arrived on Thursday on a four-day visit to India.
- The ministry of external affairs spokesperson, Raveesh Kumar, informed on Twitter that Minister of State (MoS) Drinking Water and Sanitation SS Ahluwalia received the German President, who was accompanied by his wife Elke Büdenbender.
Bihar celebrates 16th foundation day
- Bihar celebrates its 106th foundation day today. It was on this day in 1912 that the state was carved out of United Bengal. A number of programmes are being organised throughout the state to mark the occasion.
The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved opening of 18 new missions in Africa over a four-year period to enhance India's diplomatic outreach in the continent.
- The decision, taken at the cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, will take the number of Resident Indian Missions in Africa from 29 to 47.
China has announced it is building the world's fastest wind tunnel to develop a new generation of super-fast airplanes, but it could also be used for hypersonic missile technology.
- Wind tunnels test how air will pass over a solid object, helping designers improve aerodynamics or reduce stress points for objects as they reach high speeds.
Science & Technology
New low-cost material to reduce air, water pollution
- Scientists have developed a new low-cost and sustainable material that may displace activated carbon as the preferred choice for reducing waste-water and air pollution.
Defence & Railway News
India today successfully test fired the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile with an indigenous 'seeker' at Rajasthan's Pokhran test range, enhancing the country's capability to hit enemy targets at a range of up to 400 km.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said the missile hit the target with "pin-point" accuracy and the success will further bolster India's national security.
Schemes / Programme
The Union Cabinet approved the launch of the Ayushman Bharat — National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM), which was announced in the Budget.
- The scheme will provide a cover of 5 lakh per family per year.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on Wednesday approved the Integrated Scheme for Development of Silk Industry.
- According to the CCEA, a total allocation of Rs 2,161.68 crore has been approved for the implementation of the scheme for three years from 2017-18 to 2019-20
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the North East Industrial Development Scheme (NEIDS)
- NEIDS is a combination of the incentives covered under the earlier two schemes with a much larger outlay.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
The NITI Aayog and Piramal Foundation entered into a Statement of Intent (SoI) to work closely with the District Collectors and Key officers of ‘Aspirational Districts’ to support their transformation in terms of healthcare, education and nutrition.
- NITI Aayog ranked 115 Aspirational Districts selected by the Government on six socio-economic parameters, pertaining to health and nutrition, education, financial inclusion and skill development, agriculture and water resources and basic infrastructure.
Summit /Conference / Events
BSNL Launches Free Wi-Fi Facility at Udwada Village in Gujrat, Hon’ble Minister for (I&B) and Textiles Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani and MoC Sh Manoj Sinha jointly launch the facility
- The facility was launched by Sh. Manoj Sinha, Hon’ble Minister of State for Communications and Minister of State for Railways in the presence of Smt Irani on the occasion of Navroz.
Two-day Smart India Hackathon 2018 to be held at nodal centres across India from 30 March
- The grand finale of the Smart India Hackathon 2018 (Software Edition) will be held on 30 and 31 March at 28 nodal centres across the country, Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Prakash Javadekar said on 22 March.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands wins Abel Prize
- Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been named as the winner of the Abel Prize for 2018 "for his visionary programme connecting representation theory to number theory"
NHAI Receives Best Design Pavilion Award at 105th Indian Science Congress at Imphal
- The NHAI pavilion at 105th Indian Science Congress- Pride of India Expo held at Imphal from 16-20 March 2018 has been adjudged as BEST DESIGN PAVILION. The award was conferred by Dr. Najma Heptulla, Governor of Manipur.
Les Payne, Pulitzer Prize-Winner And NABJ Founder, Dies At 76
- Les Payne, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who spent his career at Newsday expanding coverage beyond local issues to include international stories first as a reporter, then as a columnist and editor — all while vehemently crusading for racial equality — has died at his home in Harlem, N.Y. He was 76.