One Liner GK Current Affairs: 21st February 2018
We, the Achieversrule team have brought for our candidates the Daily One Liner GK Current Affairs: 21st February 2018. We hope our readers will find this useful. We request our readers to keep following our site regularly. All the Latest Updates are mentioned in our home page itself. We hope our materials will be of help to you for the upcoming examinations of Bank, Rail and SSC. Todays note down points are based on National, International, Banking, Obituary and Schemes. These GK Points are not only helpful for the exams but will also help improve your knowledge. You all may go through the Daily GK Quiz for better performance.
Current Affairs Bites
New Appointments: National
- Vice Admiral RB Pandit takes over as Commandant of INA replacing Vice Admiral SV Bhokare
- Rajesh Kakkar took charge as Director (Offshore) of the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Debashish Mukherjee and Murali Ramaswami were today appointed executive directors of Canara Bank and Vijaya Bank respectively, according to an official order.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
- Private sector lender, Axis Bank announced opening of off-shore banking unit at the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) at Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
- The cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given approval to introduce the Chit Funds (Amendment) Bill, 2018 in Parliament, said an official release.
- Assam is at the bottom of the list with regard to maternal mortality rate(MMR) with a figure of 300 against the national average of 167.
- Maharashtra govt. under Asmita Yojana will provide cheap (subsidised) sanitary pads to school students on the International Women’s Day (March 8, 2018).
- The Union Cabinet approved the setting up of a tribunal to settle a row between Odisha and Chhattisgarh on sharing the waters of the river Mahanadi.
- Shah Karim Al Hussaini, the Aga Khan, will arrive on a 11-day visit, during which he will hold talks with Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Nasscom’s Future Skills platform that seeks to initially upskill 40 lakh IT employees and prospective job seekers in eight emerging technologies that could drive IT jobs in the future.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given approval for creation of National Urban Housing Fund (NUHF) for Rs 60,000 crore.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved construction of Bi-Directional Silkyara Bend-Barkot Tunnel in Uttarakhand as part of ‘Chardham Mahamarg Pariyojana’.
- Saudi Arabia is set to host in March its first ever Arab Fashion Week at Riyadh's eco-friendly Apex Centre.
- The Pakistani Senate approved a motion to declare Mandarin as one of the official languages of Pakistan.
Defence & Railway News
- Surface-to-surface Agni-II ballistic missile was successfully test-fired as part of user trial by Strategic Forces Command (SFC) from the Abdul Kalam Island, off Odisha coast.
Schemes / Programme
- The Delhi government announced the launch of "Mission Buniyaad" for improving learning skills of children studying in state and municipal-run schools.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
- UK, India launch Joint research projects on Water Quality Research and Energy Demand Reduction in Built Environment
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval to the Cooperation Agreement between India and the Moroccan National Railways Office (ONCF) to develop long-term cooperation and partnership in different areas of railway sector.
- The Union Cabinet approved an agreement signed between India and Israel on co-production of films
Summit /Conference / Events
- India is the global host of 2018 World Environment Day which will take place on June 5, 2018 with the theme "Beat Plastic Pollution"
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has arrived in Lucknow to inaugurate the two-day Uttar Pradesh Investors' Summit.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
- The Star India Pvt. Ltd, which holds the media rights of the Indian Premier League, also won the audio-visual production rights for not just the IPL but also the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) domestic circuit for the 2018-19 season.
STATIC GK NOTE DOWN POINTS
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Headquarters: Uttarakhand
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation CEO: Shashi Shanker
- Canara Bank Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Canara Bank CEO: Rakesh Sharma
- Vijaya Bank Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Vijaya Bank CEO: R. A. Sankara Narayanan
- Canara Bank Tagline: Together We Can
- Vijaya Bank Tagline: A friend you can bank on
- Axis Bank Headquarters: Mumbai
- Axis Bank CEO, MD: Shikha Sharma
- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City is a business district promoted by the Government of Gujarat through a joint venture company.
- Assam Capital: Dispur
- Assam Chief minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Nasscom: The National Association of Software and Services Companies
- Nasscom Chairperson: Raman Roy
- Nasscom Headquarters: New Delhi, Chanakyapuri
- Saudi Arabia Capital: Riyadh
- Saudi Arabia Currency: Saudi riyal
- Saudi Arabia King: Salman of Saudi Arabia
- Pakistan Capital: Islamabad
- Pakistan Prime minister: Shahid Khaqan Abbasi
- Pakistan Currency: Pakistani rupee
- Pakistan President: Mamnoon Hussain
- UK Prime minister: Theresa May
- UK Capital: London
- UK Currency: Pound sterling
- Israel Currency: Israeli new shekel
- Israel Capital: Jerusalem
- Israel Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
- BCCI President: C K Khanna
- BCCI Headquarters: Mumbai
- BCCI Chief Exec: Rahul Johri
- BCCI Secretary: Amitabh Choudhary