One Liner GK Current Affairs: 12th February 2018
We, the Achievers Rule team have brought to you the Daily One Liner GK Current Affairs of 12th February 2018. We have updated all the important Current Affairs Updates unders sections of National, International, Banking and Events. We hope that our readers are finding these articles helpful for their upcoming examinations of Bank, Rail and SSC. We also try to keep our readers updated with all the Latest Employment News along with Daily Current Affairs Quiz.
Current Affairs Bites
New Appointments: National
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) appointed Biswamohan Mahapatra as non-executive chairman for two years. NPCI had appointed Dilip Asbe as its managing director and CEO.
- Abhilasha Kumari was sworn in as the Chief Justice of the Manipur High Court. She was earlier the Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court.
- Private sector lender HDFC Bank announced appointment of Rakesh Singh as private banking head.
- Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta has been appointed Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) in the 2G matter and related cases.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
- Punjab National Bank has signed an agreement for information utility with National e-Governance Services Limited to augment the information infrastructure in India.
- The India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) Expansion Programme scheduled to begin in April this year, digital payments in post offices are expected to be enabled around the same time.
Rankings & Indexes
- According to a study by transportation analytics company INRIX, Thailand experienced the world's worst traffic congestion in the year 2017.
- According to a report by New World Wealth, India's financial capital Mumbai, with a total wealth of USD 950 billion, has been named among the top 15 wealthiest cities globally, while New York topped the list.
- A world record was created on the second day of Rajim Kumbh Mela after over 2,100 saints and locals played conch shells 'shankh' together in Chhattisgarh's Gariaband. The feat was certified by the Golden Book of World Records.
- NHAI to start 'pay as you use' pilot project on Delhi-Mumbai National Highways to study and implement the ability of the system in the country.
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) launched National Deworming Initiative on the occasion of National Deworming Day.
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development is considering to establish National Women Entrepreneurship Council (NWEC).
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh launched the university’s Centre for Spoken Sanskrit which will offer a six-month course for people on how to speak the language.
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated Abu Dhabi’s first Hindu temple as part of his three-nation tour to Palestine, Oman and the UAE.
- China Reopens Nathu La Route for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.
- Saudi Arabia has temporarily banned imports of live birds, hatching eggs and chicks from India after a form of bird flu that is highly lethal for poultry was found in the south Asian country.
Science & Technology
- Scientists from Britain and United States for first time have succeeded in growing human eggs in laboratory from earliest stages in ovarian tissue all way to full maturity.
Defence & Railway News
- The Indian Navy has unveiled the Integrated Automatic Aviation Meteorological System (IAAMS) at INS Garuda, naval air station located in Kochi, Kerala.
- China’s People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) has commissioned its new generation J-20 fourth-generation stealth fighter into combat service.
- The India Health Fund (IHF) launched by Tata Trusts in collaboration with Global Fund in August 2016 has come forward to financially support innovations and technologies designed to combat tuberculosis (TB) and malaria.
- The Muthoot Group, a leading business conglomerate has engaged Amitabh Bachchan as their Brand Ambassador.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
- India and Palestine have signed six Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) in different areas including health and education.
- Britain’s Prince Charles has launched a new 10-million-dollar Development Impact Bond (DIB) to help improve education for over 200,000 children in India.
- Online marketplace Paisabazaar.com on 10 February announced that they have entered into a partnership to develop "industry first" innovations on the tech giant's Cloud platform using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning.
- India on Saturday signed the first concessional agreement with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the oil sector.
- India and the UAE signed five agreements, including in the areas of energy and transportation, following delegation-level talks headed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Commander of the UAE Armed Forces Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Summit /Conference / Events
- The Delhi government and the MoEF jointly launched the Clean Air Campaign, which will continue for 2 weeks till February 23.
- International Conference on Unani Medicine inaugurated when a MoU was signed between CCRUM and Hamdard University, Bangladesh to establish an “academic chair” in Unani System of medicine in Bangladesh.
Awards & Honours: Sports
- Sharmila Nicollet has become the first Indian golfer to qualify for the China Ladies PGA Tour.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred the ‘Grand Collar of the State of Palestine’, the highest Palestinian honour for foreign dignitaries, recognising his contributions to promoting relations between India and Palestine.
STATIC GK NOTE DOWN POINTS
- National Payments Corporation of India Headquarters: Mumbai
- National Payments Corporation of India Founded: 2008
- HDFC CEO: Aditya Puri
- HDFC Headquarters: Mumbai
- HDFC Founded: August 1994, India
- HDFC Tagline: We understand your world
- Punjab National Bank Headquarters: New Delhi
- Punjab National Bank CEO: Sunil Mehta
- Punjab National Bank Tagline: A Name You Can Bank Upon
- Thailand Capital: Bangkok
- Thailand Currency: Thai baht
- UAE Capital: Abu Dhabi
- UAE Currency: United Arab Emirates dirham
- Saudi Arabia King: Salman of Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia Capital: Riyadh
- Saudi Arabia Currency: Saudi Riyal
- Army Chief of the Naval Staff : Sunil Lanba
- Palestine's Capital: East Jerusalem
- Palestine's President: Mahmoud Abbas
- Palestine's Prime minister: Rami Hamdallah
- Palestine's Currencies: Israeli new shekel, Egyptian pound, Jordanian dinar