Current Affairs Updates - 5 February 2018
Today our Achieversrule team have brought to you all the important Current Affairs Updates of 5th February 2018. All the important National Affairs, International Affairs, Schemes and Programs, Awards and Other Sports Related News. We also advice our readers to go through the Current Affairs One Liners and Static GK Note down Points at the end of the day which are of special importance for Bank, Rail, SSC and other Government exams.
First in India
Jaitley launches CRISIL-SIDBI CriSidEx, country's first MSE sentiment index.
- CriSidEx is a composite index based on a diffusion index of 8 parameters, and measures MSE business sentiment on a scale of 0 (extremely negative) to 200 (extremely positive).
- The first report based on the index was launched on today. It captured qualitative responses of 1,100 MSEs, out of which 550 were manufacturing units and the other 550 services units.
New Appointments: International
Alphabet has appointed John L. Hennessy as a new chairman replacing schmidt.
- Alphabet's former chairman Eric Schmidt announced in late December that he was stepping down from his role as chairman. Schmidt will remain as a "technical advisor" to Alphabet.
Royal Bhutanese Consulate was inaugurated in Guwahati seeking to strengthen North East and Bhutanese bond.
- Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bhutan Lyonpo Damcho Dorji on Friday jointly inaugurated the Royal Bhutanese Consulate.
Defence & Railway News
The Ministry of Railways is having a rethink on flexi-fares and bringing in a dynamic pricing system that will help increase occupancy and enhance revenues.
- Goyal said the railways needed to increase efficiency which will increase its profits and provide resources to meet social obligations.
Schemes / Programme
Maharashtra launched four new schemes for funding businesses, agriculture and skill development.
- The schemes were launched are expected to benefit ‘Maratha’ community.
- Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis launched the schemes at the Sahyadri guest house.
Arunachal Pradesh gave a nod to much awaited “Arunachal Pradesh Advertisement Policy 2018" which will enable the government to make payment of government advertisement bills to media houses on timely basis.
- With Arunachal Pradesh Advertisement Policy 2018, a centralized funding policy will be in place for enabling the government to make payment of government advertisement bills to media houses on timely basis, said Government Spokesperson Bamang Felix.
Union government announced a fund of Rs 1.4 lakh-crore for the ambitious Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahaabhiyan (KUSUM) scheme.
- The scheme will work towards promoting solar power production a.k.a. solar farming up to 28,250 MW to help farmers.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
Inland Waterways Authority of India signs project agreement with the World Bank for Jal Marg Vikas Project on Ganga .
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) signed a project agreement with the World Bank today, even as the latter entered into a US 375 million dollar loan agreement with the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance for Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP).
Summit /Conference / Events
Fifth International Biennial Conference of Indian Heritage Network (IHCN) was opened up in Odisha signifying socio-cultural heritage surrounding art and craft of India which will go on for three days.
- International Biennial Conference of Indian Heritage Network was inaugurated by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
- The outcome of the dialogue series is to arrive at policy-level recommendations to address the issues relevant to Odisha and also to raise awareness and be a platform for advocacy.
The 32nd Surajkund International Crafts Mela begins at Uttar Pradesh.
- The 17-day fair will conclude on February 18. The fair has been extended by two days this year.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Shabnam Asthana was awarded the 'Times Power Women of the Year 2017'- Pune for Global PR.
- The Times Group recently celebrated the invaluable contribution of women by introducing The Times Power Woman 2017 (Pune) awards.
MIFF 2018 honours Shyam Benegal with V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Eminent filmmaker Shyam Benegal has been honoured with the V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award of the Mumbai International Film Festival for Documentary, Shorts & Animation Films – MIFF 2018 conferred upon veteran film maker Shyam Benegal.
- The award carrying a Trophy, a shawl, citation and cash prize of Rs 1 million (Rs 10 lakhs) was presented at MIFF’s Valedictory Function.
Other Sports & Award Related News
India lifted a record fourth U-19 World Cup trophy after an eight-wicket rout of Australia in the final, underlining their dominant run in the tournament and giving Rahul Dravid the biggest success of his coaching career.
- India had all their bases covered with bowlers bouncing back to dismiss Australia for 216 from 183 for four at one stage.
India's leading squash player, Saurav Ghosal jumped five places to No 14 to become the highest ranked Indian in the latest Professional Squash Association (PSA).
- Former Indian national champion Harinder Pal Sandhu was placed at 49th, Mahesh Mangaonkar on 64, the spot that Ramit Tandon too achieved after rising 16 places and Vikram Malhotra on 68.
Luger Shiva Keshavan and cross country skier Jagdish Singh will represent India in the PyeongChang Winter Olympics.
- The 36-year-old Keshavan, the country's best known Winter Olympian, will be taking part in his sixth Games since his debut at Nagano in Japan in 1998. He also represented the country in the 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014 Winter Olympics.