Current Affairs Updates - 27th February 2018
The Current Affairs Updates for 27th February 2018 consists of news headlines from National, International, Schemes, Science, Technology, Events and Agreements. These are the latest news and is of utmost importance for the upcoming examinations of Bank like IBPS PO,IBPS CLERK, SBI PO, SBI CLERK and SSC Exams like SSC CHSL, SSC CGL and others. We hope that our candidates will like our articles. You may also like Current Affairs Quiz and Daily CA One Liners Static GK and Note Down Points.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
State Bank of India (SBI) is set for a major restructuring of its business in the UK from April.
- SBI's UK operations will transform into a subsidiary named State Bank of India UK Limited from April 1, in compliance with wider ring-fencing of capital requirements by the Bank of England.
Rankings & Indexes
According to government data, Amid a rising graph of crime against women in the country, they constitute just 7.28 percent of the police force in India and at 2.47 percent, their presence is the lowest in Naxal-hit Telangana.
- The government data comes amid an increasing graph of crime against women in the country where overall crimes against them rose from 3,29,243 incidents in 2015 to 3,38,954 incidents in 2016.
Bihar officials ask couples to take 8th cleanliness 'phera'
- A Block Development Officer (BDO) in Bihar's Supaul district has started a new initiative asking Hindu couples to take eight pheras at their wedding, an extra as a cleanliness pledge. The BDO created a team of officials who have been going to weddings in the district, without a formal invitation, and asking couples to take the eighth phera.
The CRPF, in the thick of anti-Naxal operations in Chhattisgarh, has launched a bike ambulance initiative for providing basic healthcare facilities to those living in remote jungle areas of Bastar region.
- Medical teams, accompanied by well-armed security personnel ride their motorcycles to help the sick and injured in about 70 villages of Bijapur district that shares its border with Dantewada and also adjoining Telangana and Maharashtra.
Rome’s Colosseum illuminated red to protest Pakistan’s blasphemy law.
- The demonstration was against the persecution of Christians worldwide, particularly of Asia Bibi who was sentenced to death in Pakistan in 2010
- The ancient Colosseum in Rome was illuminated in red on Saturday in protest against persecution of Christians around the world.
India congratulates China on its election as vice-president of Financial Action Task Force (FATF)
- The Indian ministry of external affairs did not comment on whether a deal had been worked out at the FATF but analysts said given China’s track record of striking bargains for its vote in international organizations, it was possible that Beijing had done the same at the FATF plenary
China on Sunday cleared the decks for President Xi Jinping’s third consecutive term in office, ahead of a crucial session of parliament next month.
- China’s Xinhua news agency reported that Communist Party of China (CPC) proposed on Sunday that the President and the Vice-President will not be constitutionally restricted to two consecutive terms in office.
Science & Technology
Tech Mahindra has set up a lab in Bengaluru in association with US chipmaker Intel as part of its preparedness for 5G services expected to be rolled out by 2019
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) expects to finalise a road map for the services by June this year.
- The remaining 75,000 employees will be re-skilled by the end of the current calendar year, he said.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
Andhra Pradesh inked MoU with US-based AutoGrid to help transform electricity sector of the state.
- With this Andhra Pradesh will adopt smart grid and Internet of Things (IoT) based solutions of AutoGrid to improve energy utilities' financial health and customer experiences, officials said on Sunday.
Tamil Nadu Govt, Microsoft tie-up to accelerate cloud technology adoption
- Reaffirming its commitment towards transforming the education landscape, the government of Tamil Nadu on Saturday announced signing an agreement with IT Major Microsoft to improve the integration of technology in teaching and learning in the state.
Summit /Conference / Events
BioAsia, Asia’s largest Biotechnology and Life-sciences forum and the annual flagship event of the Government of Telangana concluded after three days of insightful deliberations by global leaders of Life Sciences.
- This edition saw the highest ever participation of 1,757 delegates from Healthcare, Biotech, Pharma, Life-Sciences, IT, Academia and Startups representing over 52 countries with 100 high profile speakers and 500 Corporates.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Aruna Reddy becomes first Indian to win an individual medal at Gymnastics World Cup.
- The 22-year-old scored 13.649 to finish third behind Tjasa Kysslef of Slovenia and Emily Whitehead of Australia in the women’s vault event.
Tejaswin Shankar breaks his own national high jump record
- Competing for Kansas State University, Shankar cleared a height of 2.28m at the Big 12 Indoor Athletics Championships in Ames, Iowa. In doing so, he bettered his own mark of 2.26m that he had set at the Junior National Championships in Coimbatore in 2016.
Amit Panghal claimed his second consecutive international gold but the celebrated MC Mary Kom had to be content with a silver in the 69th Strandja Memorial boxing tournament for men and women here on Sunday.
- Amit (49kg), who fetched the top honours at last month's India Open, defeated Morocco's Said Mordaji to fetch the yellow metal.
Other Sports & Award Related News
Indian shuttler Sameer Verma beat former world number two Jan O Jorgensen and clinched the men's singles title at the 150,000 dollar Swiss Open Super 300 tournament.
- Verma, who joins Kidambi Srikanth and HS Prannoy as the Indian shuttlers who have won the Swiss Open, had clinched the Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold last year.
Former Cabinet Secretary TSR Subramanian Dies At 79
- His cremation will take place at the Lodhi Road crematorium in New Delhi at 5.30 pm, the association said. The cause of death and other details were immediately not known.