Current Affairs Updates - 24th February 2018
We, the AchieversRule team have brought to you the important Current Affairs Updates - 24th February 2018. These new set of bullet points contain sections of National, International, Schemes, Agreements and Obituary. We would advise our candidates as always to go through the Static Note Down Points and practice Daily CA Quiz for better result in the examination.
First in India
Avani becomes first-ever Indian woman to fly a fighter aircraft solo, that too a MiG-21
- Growing up in a small town named Deolond near Rewa in Madhya Pradesh, Avani Chaturvedi never in her wildest dreams imagined she would one day become the first-ever Indian woman to break the sound barrier with resounding sonic booms in a supersonic fighter all alone.
RBI in News
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has constituted an expert committee under the chairmanship of Y H Malegam, to look into the entire gamut of issues relating to classification of bad loans, rising incidents of frauds and effectiveness of audits.
- The RBI also said it had confidentially cautioned and alerted banks of such possible misuse, at least on three occasions since August 2016, advising them to implement the safeguards and about the potential malicious use of the SWIFT infrastructure.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The sale of first batch of electoral bonds will take place from March 1-10 at designated branches of State Bank of India (SBI).
- The government had notified the Electoral Bond Scheme on January 2 this year. As per provisions of the scheme, a person, who is a citizen of India or an entity incorporated / established in India can purchase electoral bonds.
Rankings & Indexes
India 81st in Global Corruption Index
- India has been ranked 81st in the global corruption perception index for 2017, released by Transparency International, which named the country among the "worst offenders" in terms of graft and press freedom in the Asia Pacific region
Paytm has launched two more firms Paytm Life Insurance Corporation Limited as well as Paytm General Insurance Corporation Limited with an aim to enter the insurance sector in the country.
- While Paytm did not comment on the RoC filing, sources said that these two companies would be used to sell its insurance products, an area where the company is planning major expansion
Manohar Parrikar arrives in Goa, presents state budget
- Ending speculation over his health, Goa chief minister Manohar Parrikar returned to capital Panaji and presented the state budget on Thursday, after being discharged from Mumbai’s Lilavati Hospital earlier in the day.
India contributes 1 million dollar for Tonga devastated by cyclone Gita
- The United States National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported that the Category 4 cyclone was the worst on record to hit Tonga.
Science & Technology
Indian scientists have developed a super critical carbon di oxide Brayton test loop facility that would help generate clean energy from future power plants including solar thermal.
- This is India’s first test-bed for next generation, efficient, compact, waterless super critical carbon dioxide Brayton cycle test loop for power generation. The technology is perhaps the first test loop coupled with solar heat source in the world.
Defence & Railway News
India today successfully test-fired the nuclear-capable ‘Dhanush’ ballistic missile with a strike range of 350 kms from a naval ship off Odisha coast.
- The surface-to-surface missile, a naval variant of the indigenously-developed ‘Prithvi’ missile, was test-fired from the ship positioned near Paradip.
Schemes / Programme
The Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar today launched Parivartan
- The Haryana government today launched Parivartan, a scheme designed to address 10 issues, including cleanliness and pollution, in 46 developmental blocks of the state.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India signs MoU with Canada's International Development Research Centre
- India and Canada signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) under which Canada's International Development Research Centre (IDRC) will assist the Indian government through ''programme based research support'' in addressing current and future global and local developmental challenges.
FICCI launches ASEAN-India Research Training Fellowship (AIRTF) in partnership with Department of Science and Technology
- The scheme provides opportunities to researchers from ASEAN member countries to undertake research and training for a period of 6 months at Academic and Research Institutions in India. The objective is to support and facilitate mobility of young talented researchers from ASEAN member countries to India to conduct short term research and training under the guidance of Indian host scientists.
Multi-lateral funding agency Asian Development Bank (ADB) on Friday signed a 84 million dollar loan agreement to finance water supply projects in two cities of Bihar.
- The Manila-headquartered funding facility is aimed at providing sustainable urban infrastructure and services in Bhagalpur, Gaya, Darbhanga and Muzaffarpur in Bihar.
Summit /Conference / Events
NER’s first regional Centre for Agriculture with Israeli collaboration to be inaugurated in Mizoram on 7th March
- This will be the first such centre in the North East region of India that is being established with Israeli collaboration.
- The two leaders will hold delegation-level talks later in the day, with a number of agreements expected to be signed on several areas.
An Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (MAPs) has been set up for the North Eastern Region (NER).
- The first meeting of IMC on MAPs is scheduled to be held on 12th of March. The meeting will be co-chaired by Secretaries of DoNER and AYUSH.
Renowned violinist M.S. Anantharaman passes away
- Noted violinist M.S. Anantharaman, an exponent of Parur style of violin playing, died here on Monday.