Current Affairs Updates - 16th February 2018
We, the AchieversRule team have brought to you the most important for Current Affairs Updates - 16th February 2018. These are the most important headlines for the upcoming exams of Bank, Rail and SSC. We hope our readers would go through all the points in details for better result in their examinations. Aspirants can also follow Current Affairs Note Down Points and Current Affairs Quiz which are usually updated at the end of the day.
Rankings & Indexes
IT services and outsourcing provider Wipro Limited and Tata Steel Ltd are the two Indian firms that have been selected among 135 of the world's most ethical companies for 2018 by the US-based think tank Ethisphere Institute.
- The 135 companies dedicated to "defining and advancing the standards of ethical business practices" were selected from 23 countries across 57 industries, Ethisphere said in a statement late on Monday.
The government will change the base year to 2017-18 for the calculation of GDP and IIP numbers while for retail inflation the year will be revised to 2018
- During 2018-19, the ministry is proposing to initiate steps to revise the base years of gross domestic product (GDP), Index of Industrial Production (IIP) and Consumer Price Index (CPI) to accommodate and factor the changes that take place in the economic scenario of the country
Power equipment maker BHEL has bagged an order worth Rs 560 crore for supply and installation of the flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) system from NTPCBSE 0.06 % for 2x490 MW National Capital Power Station (NCPS) at Dadri in Uttar Pradesh.
- The notification calls for installation of equipment to control various harmful emissions, both in existing as well as new thermal power plants.
West Bengal Becomes First State to Opt Out of ‘Modicare’
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had announced the National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS) on February 1, making it the biggest global plan to provide quality health cover.
- Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan said that the excise duty and Value Added Tax (VAT) levied on crude oil would be replaced with the Goods and Services Tax (GST) in the near future.
The Hampi monuments which are part of Karnataka’s cultural heritage, will be one of the 10 tourist destinations across India to be developed as ‘Iconic Tourism Site’ by the central government.
- The government proposes to develop ten prominent tourist sites as Iconic Tourism destinations through holistic infrastructure and skill development. In addition, tourist amenities will be upgraded at 100 Adarsh Monuments of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)
West Bengal Becomes First State to Opt Out of ‘Modicare’
- Claiming that the Bengal government had already enrolled 50 lakh people under its own Swasthya Sathi programme, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has announced the decision to opt out of Centre’s ‘Modicare’ scheme.
Japan posts longest growth streak since 1980s bubble economy
- The economy expanded at a 0.5 percent annualized rate in October-December, less than the median estimate for annualized growth of 0.9 percent, Cabinet Office data showed on Wednesday. That followed a revised 2.2 percent annualized increase in July-September.
Science & Technology
Milky Way's neighbouring galaxy formed after Earth: Study
- Milky Way's nearest spiral galaxy Andromeda formed in a "recent" crash between two smaller star systems when Earth already existed, China and Europe-based astronomers have found. Scientists showed that two galaxies, with a galaxy four times more massive than the other, fused between 1.8 billion and 3 billion years ago to forge Andromeda.
Sea level will rise by over 2 feet by 2100, scientists fear
- Scientists have learned from 25 years of satellite data that sea levels are rising at 3 mm every year, while its rate is increasing about 0.08 mm per year. Scientists fear if the oceans continue to change at this pace, globals sea levels would rise 65 cm by 2100, which could flood coastal cities.
Schemes / Programme
The 'Assistance to States and UTs for Narcotics Control' scheme has been extended for a further period of 3 years--from 2017-18 to 2019-20--with an estimated budget of Rs 21 crore
- The purpose of the scheme is to assist state governments and Union Territories which are contributing in controlling the inter-state and cross border drug trafficking.
Summit /Conference / Events
President Ram Nath Kovind hosted the LPG Panchayat at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The LPG Panchayat was organised by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas with an aim to provide a platform for LPG consumers to interact with each other, promote mutual learning and share experiences, read an official note
Awards & Honours: Sports
Tamil Nadu beat Manipur 2-1 to lift their maiden title in the 23rd edition of the Senior Women's National Football Championship
- Tamil Nadu created history by becoming champions in their first-ever final with Indumathi scoring the opener in the 3rd minute while Indrani made it 2-0 in the 40th minute.
Cristiano Ronaldo becomes the first player in Champions League history to score 100 goals for one club
- The Portuguese forward converted a first-half penalty against Paris Saint-Germain in the first leg of their last-16 tie at the Santiago Bernabeu to take his Champions League tally into triple figures for Real Madrid.
Other Sports & Award Related News
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is planning a ranking system for National Sports Federations (NSFs).
- Aimed at inculcating healthy competition between sports bodies, the rankings will be based on the federations’ administrative capability, transparency, talent-spotting ability, and medal count of athletes.
India to host 8th Theatre Olympics
- In an effort to put India firmly among the top nations in the world theatre map, the country will play host to the 8th Theatre Olympics, the greatest carnival of thespianism.