Current Affairs Updates - 13 February 2018
Today, once again Achieversrule is back with all the important Current Affairs Updates for 13 th February 2018. We hope our readers are finding our articles useful. We have provided the best and latest CA updates which are vital for the upcoming Bank, Rail and SSC. We request our readers to go through the Daily Current Affairs Quiz daily for better performance in the upcoming examinations. Please provide us with your valuable feedback and stay tuned to our Latest Static GK Note Down Points.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The country's largest lender SBI wrote off bad loans worth Rs 20,339 crore in 2016-17.
- Public sector banks' (PSBs) write-off stood at Rs 27,231 crore in 2012-13, government data showed.
Rankings & Indexes
Mumbai, India's financial capital is the 12th richest city in the world with a total wealth of 950 billion dollar, says a report by New World Wealth which ranks New York as the richest city in the world.
- According to the New World Wealth report, Mumbai is followed by Toronto with a total wealth of 944 billion dollar, Frankfurt (912 billion dollar) and Paris (860 billion dollar).
ONGC and its partners have acquired 10% stake in Abu Dhabi oilfield for 600 million dollar.
- OVL, the overseas arm of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), Indian Oil Corp (IOC) and a unit of Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL), paid a signing amount of 600 million dollar for a 10 per cent stake in Abu Dhabi National Oil Co's (ADNOC) 40-year Lower Zakum Concession, Offshore Abu Dhabi.
Niti Aayog Vice-Chairman Rajiv Kumar made a strong case for setting up an independent debt management office.
- Better servicing of loans could lead to substantial reduction in India's interest payment. At present, the government debt, including market borrowing, is managed by the Reserve Bank of India.
The Minister of Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Shri Nitin Gadkari released India’s first ever Highway Capacity Manual in New Delhi .
- The manual, known as Indo-HCM, has been developed by CSIR – CRRI on the basis of an extensive, country-wide study of the traffic characteristics on different categories of roads like single lane, two-lane, multi-lane urban roads, inter-urban highways and expressways and the associated intersections on these roads.
Direct tax collections grew by nearly 20 per cent between April and January this year with strong growth in both corporate and personal income tax receipts.
- According to official data released on Friday, net direct tax collections grew by 19.3 per cent up to January 2018 to 6.95-lakh crore.
Defence & Railway News
India and UAE to hold first joint naval drill in Gulf
- Addressing the World Government Summit in Dubai, Modi highlighted the importance of assimilating technology with governance to ensure equitable growth, a key message relating to his government's programmes promoting inclusive growth through banking and DBT.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India and Oman Sign eight Agreements As PM Modi Meets Sultan Sayyid Fahd bin Mahmoud Al .
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today held wide-ranging talks with the Sultan of Oman as the two sides signed eight agreements, including pacts on cooperation in the field of defence, health and tourism.
Summit /Conference / Events
The 123rd Maramon Convention which is billed as Asia’s largest week-long annual Christian meet, began with a call to conserve river Pampa and the environment at its traditional venue on the riverbed of Pampa at Maramon near Kozhencherry
- Inaugurating the meet, the Mar Thoma Metropolitan Joseph Mar Thoma, said the Maramon convention had its beginning on the sprawling sandbed of Naranath Manappuram near the famous Sree Parthasarathy Temple at Aranmula a century ago.
Indonesia's Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati received the Best Minister Award at the World Government Summit held in Dubai.
- The award is given to one government official each year to recognise his or her efforts in implementing successful reforms in their home countries.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Pyeongchang 2018: India's Shiva Keshavan finishes 34th in men's singles luge event at sixth and last Olympics
- India's winter sports poster boy Shiva Keshavan on Sunday brought the curtains down to his Olympic career with a 34th-place finish in the men's luge singles event of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
India-Born Techie Mumbai-born engineer Vikas Sathaye Wins Sci-Tech Oscar Award for New Camera System
- They bagged the accolade for the concept, design, engineering and implementation of the Shotover K1 camera system. Brad Hurndell, John Coyle and Shane Buckham were other members of the team.
Pakistani human rights lawyer Asma Jahangir dies.
- A leading Pakistani lawyer and human rights activist, Asma Jahangir, has died in the eastern city of Lahore at age 66.
Theory of Everything composer Jóhann Jóhannsson dies at 48
- The Icelandic musician and producer, who won a Golden Globe for his score to the 2014 Stephen Hawking biopic starring Eddie Redmayne, was found dead in Berlin on Friday.