Current Affairs Updates - 28 November 2017
New Appointments: National
Nirmala Sitharaman, who was promoted to the cabinet, is the country's new Defence Minister.
- She takes charge of the crucial ministry from Arun Jaitley, who has been saying for some time that he would like to focus his attention entirely on the Finance Ministry.
- She is India's first woman Defence Minister after Indira Gandhi. She is a Rajya Sabha member.
Science & Technologies
China launches a Long March 6 rocket carrying three Jilin-1 commercial earth observation satellites that takes off at Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in Taiyuan which is designed to conduct electromagnetic probes.
- The satellites have entered the preset orbit and today’s launching mission was proclaimed a success, the report said. They will conduct electromagnetic probes and other experiments, the report said. China, earlier this week, had launched three remote sensing satellites designed to improve observation capability to promote commercial use for the remote sensing industry.
Scientists have developed the world's first artificial intelligence politician called SAM, by Nick Gerritsen, a 49-year-old entrepreneur in New Zealand
- There seems to be so much existing bias that countries around the world seem unable to address fundamental and multiple complex issues like climate change and equality," he said.
- The AI politician is constantly learning to respond to people through Facebook Messenger as well as a survey on its homepage.
Defence & Railway
The third Indo-UK joint Army training exercise 'Ajeya Warrior' will be conducted in Rajasthan at the Mahajan Field Firing Range.
- The aim of the exercise is to build and promote bilateral relations and enhance interoperability while sharing experiences between the Royal British army and the Indian Army," he added.
Awards & Honours
Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, who represented South Africa, won the Miss Universe crown at The AXIS theater at Planet Hollywood casino-resort on the Las Vegas Strip.
- The 22-year-old, who wants to use her reign to champion HIV/AIDS and self-defense causes, was crowned. Along with the title, Nel-Peters earned a yearlong salary, a luxury apartment in New York City for the duration of her reign and more prizes. She is the second woman from her home country to earn the crown.
Golden Temple receives the 'most visited place of the world' award by World Book of Records (WBR).
- A London-based organisation, the WBR team presented the award certificate to Shriomani Gurdwara Pharbandhak Committee (SGPC), the management body of the Golden Temple.
Acclaimed writer Nayantara Sahgal was presented a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Times literature Festival.
- The member of the Nehru-Gandhi family and a constant face in the protest against the alleged intolerance in the country, she fired a series of salvos at the ruling dispensation, even saying that the Narendra Modi-led NDA government is "a fascist regime" practising an undeclared dictatorship.
Sports: Awards & Honours
Gopi Thonakal became the first India man to win gold at the Asian Marathon Championship.
Gopi clocked 2 hours 15 minutes and 48 seconds to clinch the gold. Gopi, thus, became the first Indian man to win the title after the formation of separate Asian Marathon championships.
Serene Valtteri Bottas beats Lewis Hamilton at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- This was just the third victory of Bottas’ career and by some distance the most vital. While Hamilton glided into his winter break with barely a care in the world, his fourth championship long since secured, the Silver Arrows’ No 2 driver needed to keep proving that he was worthy of their faith.
India win five gold medals at AIBA Women’s Youth World Championships
- Nitu (48kg), Jyoti Gulia (51kg), Sakshi Choudhary (54kg), Shashi Chopra (57kg) and Ankushita Boro (64kg) propelled India to its best-ever performance at the event by winning their finals at the Nabin Chandra Bardoloi Indoor Stadium.