Current Affairs Update - 29 November 2017
Indian online payments company BillDesk has launched cryptocurrency exchange Coinome in India which allows for the trading of Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.
- Mumbai-based Coinome allows users to register via an instant e-KYC process by using Aadhaar number. Coinome CEO Vivek Steve Francis said that the exchange has planned to introduce the trading of 20 cryptocurrencies by 2018.
The Minister of Women and Child Development, Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi launched an intensive training program for Elected Women Representatives (EWRs) of Panchayati Raj Institutions and Master Trainers, in New Delhi .
- The Capacity building of Elected Women Representatives (EWRs) is critical to empower women to participate effectively in the governance processes. This will help them assume the leadership roles expected of them and guide their villages towards a more prosperous future. About 150 master trainers and 450 EWRs attended today’s program.
India and Russia, the two strategic partners signed anti-terror pact in combating terrorism.
- The ministers underlined that cooperation in the field of security is an important aspect of this bilateral relationship further strengthen cooperation to combat terrorism, extremism and radicalism, a statement issued by the Indian embassy said.
India and Greece signed an air services agreement and a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the field of new and renewable energy.
- The two top diplomats held detailed discussions on all aspects of the bilateral relationship. The pacts were inked after talks between the two sides, India's state-run broadcaster All India Radio reported.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
The 7th international military games will be held in Wuhan city in the central China's Hubei Province.
- The International Military Sports Council (CISM) Military World Games is a top sporting gala for military personnel.
- It comprises 329 competitions in 27 categories and is expected to attract around 8,000 participants from more than 100 countries and regions.
A Two-day Korea Tourism Festival showcasing Korea’s rich art and was inaugurated by Korea Tourism Organisation (KTO) Executive Vice President Min Hong Min at the Ambience Mall culture in Haryana.
- The festival displayed food counters (managed by Korea Agro Fisheries and Food Trade Cooperation) to give a taste of the local Korean flavours to serve Indian taste buds besides featuring experiential attractions like face mask painting, Hangeul calligraphy and video gallery exhibiting Korean history & cultural assets.
PM Modi and Advisor to US President, Ivanka Trump inaugurated the 8th edition of the Global Entrepreneurship Summit in Hyderabad. Theme: ‘women first, prosperity for all’.
- Modi went on to add, “Indian women continue to lead in different walks of life. Our space programmes, including the Mars Orbiter Mission, have had an immense contribution from women scientists. Kalpana Chawla and Sunita Williams, both of Indian origin, have been part of US space missions.”
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the International Ambedkar Conclave, organised by the Forum of SC and ST Legislators and Parliamentarians in New Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President noted with appreciation that Dr B.R. Ambedkar had attained senior public positions and acclaim on the basis of his extraordinary educational achievements, despite facing conditions of deprivation and inequality. Dr Ambedkar made unique contributions towards building a modern society in India, emphasising the struggle for social rights in public life.
Awards & Honours
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has been awarded the Bronze Medal for its creative and informative display at the 37th India International Trade Fair 2017 being held at Pragati Maidan.
- The Health Ministry pavilion highlighted programmes and initiatives of the Health Ministry such as Mission Indradhnaush for expanding full immunization coverage, introduction of new vaccines, Pradhan Mantri Matritva Suraksha Yojana (PMSMA), Mother’s Absolute Affection (MAA) for encouraging breastfeeding, Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) for strengthening the tertiary health sector.
Sports: Awards & Honours
India men beat Pakistan and Indian Women beat South Korea to win Asian Kabaddi Championship 2017 titles in Iran.
- For the second time in a week, Ajay Thakur proved to be the decisive man for India over Pakistan as the world champions edged the neighbours 36-22 to win the Asian Kabaddi Championship gold medal in Gorgan, Iran on Sunday.
India clinched 10 medals, including two golds, at the BWF Para-Badminton World Championships.
- India’s Parul Parmar defeated Thailand’s Wannaphatdee Kamtam 21-8 21-17 in the finals of the women’s singles Standing Lower (SL3) to clinch the gold medal.
- Parmar also combined with Japan’s Akiko Sugino to win the gold in the women’s doubles (SL 3-4) after beating Chinese pair of Cheng Hefang and MA Huihui 21-16 21-19 in the summit clash.