Current Affairs Update - 28 and 29th September
Do You Know?
Patanjali Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Acharya Balkrishna has made it to the list of top 10 richest Indians riding high on the success of the Baba Ramdev-run Ayurveda FMCG brand.
- The list also features other names like Radhakishan Damani of D-Mart. Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani topped the list for the sixth time in a row while he also made it to the top 15 in the Hurun Global rich list.
World Rabies Day to be observed on 28th September Every Year
- World Rabies Day is the first and only global day of action and awareness for rabies prevention. It is an opportunity to unite as a community and for individuals, NGOs and governments to connect and share their work.
- Created and coordinated annually by GARC, World Rabies Day, September 28th, focuses on rabies endemic countries, to increase community awareness of the disease and its prevention. World Rabies Day also raises the profile of national and local control programmes and acts as a springboard for year-round capacity building and awareness.
World Tourism Day to be observed on 27th September, an annual event aimed at underscoring the social, cultural, political and economic value of international tourism.
- On World Tourism Day, globetrotters are being challenged to be responsible, mindful travelers at a time when the news cycle seems be peppered with stories of tourists behaving badly.
- September 27 marks World Tourism Day, an annual event organized by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), aimed at underscoring the social, cultural, political and economic value of international tourism.
- This year's event also aligns with the UN's overall designation of 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
The Asian Development Bank said it will increase its annual lending to India to a maximum of $4 billion between 2018 and 2022 to help fasten inclusive economic transformation towards upper middle income status.
- “ADB’s programme in India will focus on three main pillars of activity during the 5-year period — boosting economic competitiveness to create more and well-paid jobs, improved access to infrastructure and services, and addressing climate change and improving climate resilience,” it said in a release.
- The proposal was endorsed at new ADB Country Partnership Strategy for 2018- 2022. The new lending programme, which includes private sector operations, is much higher than the average $2.65 billion a year in loans extended during 2012 and 2016.
IDBI Bank on Tuesday said it has launched ‘Project Nishchay’ in partnership with The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) to accelerate its turnaround programme and improve financial performance.
- The project will be led by senior management at IDBI Bank along with BCG, the public sector bank said in a statement. IDBI Bank Managing Director and CEO Mahesh Kumar Jain said “BCG will assist us to identify areas for cost containment and revenue maximization leading to sustainable growth and profitability of the Bank.
- “With the support from our consulting partner, we hope to identify and address existing gaps, capitalize on core strengths and improve existing products and processes.”
India is world's 40th most competitive economy: WEF (World Economic Forum)
- India has been ranked as the 40th most competitive economy -- slipping one place from last year's ranking -- on the World Economic Forum's global competitiveness index, which is topped by Switzerland.
- On the list of 137 economies, Switzerland is followed by the US and Singapore in second and third places, respectively.
- In the latest Global Competitiveness Report released today, India has slipped from the 39th position to 40th while neighbouring China is ranked at 27th.
- Fortune list of Most Powerful Women in International Business
Kandla Port renamed as Deendayal with effect from 25th of September, 2017. Kandla Port, located on the Gulf of Kutch in Gujarat.
- The Ministry of Shipping has issued a notification renaming Kandla Port Trust as Deendayal Port Trust with effect from 25th of September, 2017. Kandla Port, located on the Gulf of Kutch in Gujarat, is one of the twelve major ports in the country. As per the Ministry’s notification, the Central Government, in exercise of powers conferred on it under Indian Ports Act, 1908, made the amendment to replace “Kandla” with “Deendayal”.
- While inaugurating various projects at Kandla Port in May this year, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had given the suggestion for renaming of Kandla Port after Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay, who stood for the uplift of the poor and weaker sections of society. The Ministry of Shipping issued the required notification on the occasion of the closing of the year long centenary celebrations of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay.
Cabinet approves umbrella scheme of "Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF)" for years 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- The financial outlay for the scheme over the three year’s period is Rs.25,060 crore, out of which the Central Government share will be Rs.18,636 crore and the States’ share will be Rs.6,424 crore.
Salient Features of Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF)
- Special provision has been made under the Scheme for internal security, law and order, women security, availability of modern weapons, mobility of police forces, logistics support, hiring of helicopters, upgradation of police wireless, National Satellite Network, CCTNS project, E-prison project etc.
- Under the umbrella scheme, central budget outlay of Rs.10,132 crore has been earmarked for internal security related expenditure for Jammu & Kashmir, North Eastern States and left wing extremism affected States.
- Scheme of Special Central Assistance (SCA) for 35 worst LWE affected districts has been introduced with an outlay of Rs.3,000 crore to tackle the issue of underdevelopment in these district.
- An outlay of Rs.100 crore has been earmarked in the North Eastern States for police infrastructure upgradation, training institutes, investigation facilities etc.
- Implementation of this scheme would bolster the Government's ability to address challenges faced in different theatres such as areas affected by LWE, Jammu and Kashmir and North East effectively and undertake development interventions which will catalyze in improving the quality of life in these areas and help combat these challenges effectively at the same time.
- New initiatives are being introduced to provide assistance to States for upgradation of police infrastructure, forensic science laboratories, institutions and the equipment available with them to plug critical gaps in the criminal justice system. Police Stations will be integrated to set up a national data base of crime and criminals’ records. It will be linked with other pillars of criminal justice system such as ‘prisons, forensic science laboratories and prosecution offices.
- The umbrella scheme also provides for setting up of a State-of Art forensic science laboratory in Amravati, Andhra Pradesh and upgradation of Sardar Patel Global Centre for Security, Counter Terrorism and Anti Insurgency in Jaipur and Gujarat Forensic Science University in Gandhi Nagar.
- It is expected that the umbrella scheme, "Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF)" will go a long way to boost the capability and efficiency of Central and State Police Forces by modernizing them.
The resolution was introduced by Ami Bera who said securing a permanent spot for India on the UN Security Council would strengthen democracy around the world.
- Two influential Democratic lawmakers, including an Indian-American, on Tuesday introduced a legislation in the US House of Representatives to support India’s permanent membership to the UN Security Council.
- Introduced by Congressman Ami Bera, Vice Ranking Member on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and longest serving Indian-American in Congress, and Congressman Frank Pallone, founder of Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans, the resolution would put the House officially on record in support of India’s bid. Currently it has seven original cosponsors.
The Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) of the Ministry of Women & Child Development has started a monthly “Jan Sampark” program to enable the public to have interaction with its officials and staff for seeking information related to Adoption as well as flagging their concerns.
- The first of its kind programme was held in New Delhi yesterday. Nearly 150 Prospective Adoptive Parents (PAPs), Adoptive Parents and representatives of agencies participated in the session, which lasted for more than four hours.
- Details pertaining to Immediate Placement and Special Needs Adoption Module of Child Adoption Resource Information & Guidance System (CARINGS) as well as the newly launched Grievance/Query portal were shared with all the stakeholders. Also many of the PAPs were counselled and motivated to go for adopting older children.
Science & Technologies
Twitter Tests Expanding Tweet Limit To 280 Characters from 140 Characters.
- Twitter announced Tuesday a test project allowing tweets to be expanded to 280 characters -- double the existing limit -- in the latest effort to boost flagging growth at the social network.
- San Francisco-based Twitter said the new system, a major shift for the messaging platform known for its 140-character tweets, aims to address "a major cause of frustration" for many users.
Russia and US will cooperate to build moon's first space station
- Russia and the United States have agreed to cooperate on a Nasa-led programme to build the first lunar space station, part of a long-term project to send humans to Mars.
- The US space agency said earlier this year that it was exploring a programme called the Deep Space Gateway, a multi-stage project to push further into the solar system.
- The project envisages building a crew-tended spaceport in lunar orbit that would serve as a “gateway to deep space and the lunar surface,” Nasa has said.
Defence & Railway
Piyush Goyal said that innovative techniques are soon being introduced to eliminate rail accidents. These include revamping the existing signalling system by use of TPWS – Train protection and Warning System and MTRC, Mobile Train Radio Communication. He said, the remaining 5000 unmanned level crossings will be eliminated in a time bound manner.
- Addressing media this morning alongwith MoS Manoj Sinha and Chairman Railway Board Ashwini Lohani in New Delhi, he said, Railways is committed to ensuring high standards of safety, speed and service for passengers and ensuring national wealth to contribute to national development. He said, priority is being given to track renewal over new lines.
- The Minister said, CCTV cameras are being installed in coaches and stations for enhanced security. He said, RPF staff and TTEs have been instructed to be in proper uniform while on duty to bring in transparency. Mr Goyal said, electrification of rail tracks will be completed by next 4-5 years. This will lead to savings in energy costs over 10,000 crore while reducing pollution and dependence on imported diesel.
Application / Portal
Centre launches 'Divyang Sarathi' mobile app for the differently-abled by providing easier and convenient access of information to them.
- Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot launched the Beta version of 'Divyang Sarathi' - the accessible and comprehensive mobile application for easy dissemination of information to 'Divyangjans' ( differently - abled ) here today.
- Speaking on the occasion, Gehlot said that this mobile application is bound to empower the 'Divyangjans' by providing easier and convenient access of information to them as they can now understand all details pertaining to the schemes, scholarships, statutes, institutional support systems and other relevant and crucial information at the click of a button.
Schemes / Programme
Union Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurates 13th Formation Day of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). The theme of this years formation day is School Safety.
- Delivering the inaugural address, Shri Rajnath Singh said that NDMA has covered a long distance in short time span of 13 years since its formation.
- He said that NDMA has established credibility of India across world. He further said that there was no institutional framework for disaster management earlier, but after the setting up of NDMA, a mechanism has been developed not only for disaster management, but also for disaster risk reduction.
- He expressed happiness that India got appreciation due to NDMAs work at Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meeting on Disaster management held in Kyrgyzstan last month, where he had participated. He said that NDMA has done good work for enhancing the disaster management capabilities.
The Cabinet approved signing of interbank local currency credit line agreement and cooperation memorandum relating to credit ratings by Exim Bank with member banks under BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism.
- Exim Bank finances, facilitates and promotes India's international trade. It provides competitive finance at various stages of the business cycle.
- "The agreements will promote multilateral interaction within the area of mutual interest which will deepen political and economic relations with BRICS nations," an official statement said after the Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Maharashtra signs MoU with South Korea for infrastructure projects, The meeting was held at Seoul.
- The Maharashtra government’s ambitious Rs 46,000-crore Nagpur-Mumbai Super-communication Expressway (also called Samruddhi Corridor) got a positive response from South Korea, which has agreed to enter into business partnership with the state to push mega-infrastructure projects.
- CM Devendra Fadnavis held a meeting with representatives of the South Korean government to discuss the investments and joint partnership for big infrastructure projects. The meeting was held at Seoul. The delegation led by Fadnavis made a presentation and explained the modalities of the projects.
Awards & Honours
Mahtab Bamji, a noted scientist, has been selected to receive the Living Legend Award of the International Union of Nutritional Sciences ((IUNS).
- In a communique, the IUNS said the award will be presented at its General Assembly to be held at the IUNS-ICN in Buenos Aires, Argentina on October 18.
- The IUNS Council presents Living Legend Awards to individual members of Adhering Bodies in good standing who are eighty (80) years or above, the communique from the Secretary General Catherine Geissler said.
- The award is a recognition for those who have significantly contributed to the work of national nutrition society or regional organisation and contributed to the advancement of nutrition at national, regional and global level through professional activities such as research, teaching, services.
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) registered National E-Governance Services Limited (NeSL) today as an Information Utility (IU) under the IBBI (Information Utilities) Regulations, 2017.
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) registered National E-Governance Services Limited (NeSL) today as an Information Utility (IU) under the IBBI (Information Utilities) Regulations, 2017. This registration is valid for five years from the date of registration.
- IU stores financial information that helps to establish defaults as well as verify claims expeditiously and thereby facilitates completion of transactions under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 in a time bound manner. It constitutes a key pillar of the insolvency and bankruptcy ecosystem, the other three being the Adjudicating Authority (National Company Law Tribunal and Debt Recovery Tribunal), the IBBI and Insolvency Professionals.