Weekly Current affairs antibiotics - 9 may to 16 may 2017
Download Button at the Bottom of the Page
Important Days & Themes
- National Dengue Day has been observed on 16th of May, 2016 by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Government of India.
- The International Day of Families is observed on the 15th of May every year. The theme of 2017 is “Families, education and well-being”.
- International Nurses Day (IND) is celebrated every year all around the world on 12th of May to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Florence Nightingale and to mark the nurses contributions towards people’s health. The theme of 2017 is “Nursing: A voice to lead – Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals”.
- India celebrates National Technology Day on 11th May every year, The theme of the function is “Technology for inclusive and sustainable growth”.
- The World Migratory Bird Day is observed every year on 10 May. The theme of WMBD 2017 is “Their Future is Our Future – A Healthy Planet for Migratory Birds and People”.
- Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May every year. The theme of the mother day is "Every Mother Knows".
- Edouard Philippe has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of France.
- Justice Mukul Mudgal elected head of FIFA Governance Committee.
- The government has named Road Transport and Highways Secretary Sanjay Mitra as its new defence secretary in a top-level bureaucratic reshuffle.
- Microblogging platform Twitter has elevated Taranjeet Singh as its Country Director for India.
- South Korea's liberal leader Moon Jae-In as the new president of South Korea.
- PM Modi to inaugurate India’s longest 9.15-km-long Dhola-Sadiya bridge near China border.
- Kerala and Tamil Nadu - secured first and second rankings for the second year in a row while poll-bound Gujarat gained two positions rising from five in 2016 to three in 2017 and Bihar stayed at the bottom in public affairs index (PAI) in governance in States.
- Ahmedabad in Gujarat will host biggest ever International Yoga Day event on the 21st of June announced by Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev.
- The Election Commission of India has added feather to its cap with the launch of National Contact Centre with a toll-free No. 1800111950.
- The government has exempted the residents of Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, Meghalaya and citizens above 80 years from mandatory quoting of Aadhaar to obtain PAN cards and file tax returns.
- India has decided to replace the Maitri research station in Antarctica with a new one in the next three to four years.
- Bengaluru has been named the world’s most affordable tech city in the new Savills Tech Cities Index 2017.
- Government sets up a high-level task force to compute timely data on employment and to create jobs in the country. The task force has been created under the chairmanship of NITI Aayog's vice chairman Arvind Panagariya. The other members of the task force are labor secretary Sathiyavathy, secretary statistics T.C.A. Ananth, Pulak Ghosh of NITI Aayog and Manish Sabharwal (member RBI Board).
- GVK group-run Mumbai airport has been crowned the world’s busiest among the single-runway facilities as it overtakes London’s Gatwick airport, which handles 757 flights a day.
- The 112 feet tall "Adiyogi Shiva Statue" made up of steel in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India Enters The Guinness Book Of World Records As World's Largest Bust
- The Maharashtra government has banned the sale of junk food in school canteens for safety issues.
- India has been unanimously elected as the President of UN-Habitat, an organ of the United Nations Organisation.
Defence & Railway
- India test fired a surface-to-air missile ‘Spyder’ from a test range at Chandipur in Odisha as part of missile launch practice of a series of tests of the short-range quick reaction.
- Union home minister Rajnath Singh launched a mobile phone app 'MHA Mobile Application' to remain ‘just a click away’ from troopers of all central forces to address their grievances.
- Light combat aircraft 'Tejas' has successfully demonstrated an Air-to-Air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile firing capability by releasing Derby Air-to-Air BVR missile in RADAR guided mode.
- The 29th edition of Co-ordinated Patrol (CORPAT) between India-Indonesia commenced in Port Blair.
- The Indian Railways will float global tenders worth over ?100 crore for acquiring End of Train Telemetry (EoTT) equipment to run 1,000 trains without guards.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) is now offering home delivery of rail tickets and will allow passengers to make payment through any payment mode, including cash.
- Rajnath Singh coins an acronym "SAMADHAN" to wipe out left-wing terror in the country.
- In a survey conducted during March and April 2017, FICCI predicted India’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth will be around 7.4% for fiscal 2017-18, with a minimum and maximum level of 7% and 7.6% respectively.
- India's growth is expected to rebound to 7.2 percent in the 2017-18 fiscal and 7.7 percent in 2018-19 after disruptions caused by demonetization, as per the IMF (International Monetary Fund) report.
- The government has revised the base year of Wholesale Price Index, WPI and Index of Industrial Production, IIP to 2011-2012 from 2004-05.
- Reserve Bank of India has put restriction on Kolkata based PSU UCO Bank’s lending and branch expansion plans as the state-run lender made net losses for the two successive fiscal amid severe stress on asset quality.
- LIC Housing Finance launched a new product `Griha Siddhi' which will offer loans for construction, purchase of the house or flat and repairs or renovation to the existing properties.
- Dena Bank has become the first lender to classify Videocon Industries as a bad loan. With the default on payments, Dena Bank has declared Videocon Industries account as non-performing asset (NPA) in the fourth quarter ended March 2017.
Books and Authors
- President Pranab Mukherjee has received the first copy of book “India’s Indira: A Centennial Tribute” in New Delhi. Mukherjee has also written a chapter in the book, which was released by vice-president M Hamid Ansari. Senior leader Anand Sharma has edited the book.
Science & Technology
- Technology giant Oracle has launched its cloud computing service for India, which aims to support the government's GST rollout in July and plans to open data centres in the country.
- Indian Teen 'KalamSat' From Tamil Nadu Develops The World’s Smallest Satellite For NASA
- Scientists using NASA telescopes have detected "a strong water signature" in the atmosphere of a distant Neptune-sized planet, that could help understand more about the birth and development of planetary systems.
- Apple briefly touched $800 billion market valuation, making it the world's first ever company to hit the milestone.
- A Mother's Day gift has been given to lakhs of children in schools of Uttar Pradesh in the form of 'Maa' by forming the 'Maa Comittee'.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur has collaborated with the British Geological Survey to turn Varanasi into a smart city.
- The expanded Preferential Trade Agreement, PTA between India and Chile has come into effect. Under this trade agreement, both the countries have offered to lower or eliminate duties on a number of items traded with each other.
- HDFC Life has entered into a bancassurance tie-up with Catholic Syrian Bank to distribute its individual life insurance products to the private lender’s customers.
- Cashkaro.com ties up with YES Bank to launch card-linked offers.
- India and the UK agreed to sign an MoU in the urban transport sector for cooperation in policy planning, technology transfer and institutional organisation.
- India's first International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) at Gujarat International Finance-Tec City (GIFT) entered into an agreement with Gujarat National Law University (GNLU) to collaborate on efforts for Skill Development in the field of International Financial Services & Regulations.
- Techmagnate, India’s leading Digital Marketing Agency acquired BlogX, India’s largest blog conference where bloggers and content managers connect.
- India's largest cab aggregator Ola has partnered with Bharti Airtel to launch a range of integrated digital offerings to customers.
- The Government of Jharkhand and Oracle signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) intended to improve cloud-based citizen services and to make Jharkhand an attractive destination for start-ups.
- Amitabh Bachchan has been appointed by the World Health Organisation as its Goodwill Ambassador for Hepatitis in South-East Asia Region to spread awareness about the disease.
- Vinay Mohan Kwatra currently a joint secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office has been appointed as the next ambassador to France.
- Venu Rajamony appointed India’s Ambassador to Netherlands.
Summit /Conference / Events / Host
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the second meeting of National Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (NPDRR) in New Delhi.
- Jhulan Goswami, India’s fast bowler, is now the Worlds leading wicket-taker bowler in Women’s ODIs.
- Heena Sidhu wins bronze in Grand Prix of Liberation Plezn 2017 Shooting championship.
- MS Dhoni sets record for most catches by a keeper in T20s.
Award & Honour (Sports)
- Lewis Hamilton has won the Spanish Grand Prix from pole position in the Formula One championship.
- Arjun Maini, driving for Jenzer Motorsports, created history by becoming the first Indian driver to win a GP3 race.
- India win 1 gold, 5 silver & 4 bronze in Asian Wrestling Championship
- Rafael Nadal beat Dominic Thiem to win his fifth Madrid Open title held in Spain and move into the world's top four.
- VVS Laxman awarded with an honorary life membership by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
Award & Honour (Miscellaneous)
- Aravind Kumar Rengan has been awarded the prestigious Indian National Science Academy (INSA) medal in the Young Scientist category for 2017
- ICICI Bank chief Chanda Kochhar has become the first Indian woman to be conferred with the prestigious Woodrow Wilson Award for Global Corporate Citizenship.
- Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling was conferred with the first Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Lifetime Achievement Honour in Public Service by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Govardhan Eco Village, set up by the ISKCON in adjoining Thane district, has won a Smart Village award for being a sustainable project in rural Maharashtra.
- Hollywood actor Emma Watson picked up the first-ever Genderless Acting Award for the Best Actor category for "Beauty and the Beast" at the MTV Movie and TV Awards.
- A team of Indian Institute of Techonology (IIT) Delhi researchers was awarded the startups national award 2017 by the technology development board for creating a technology that protects against air pollutants and minimises the risk of respiratory diseases.
- Krishna Kumari, a health worker in Ganjam district, has bagged the prestigious Florence Nightingale award 2017.
- Sony Pictures Networks awarded 'Aon Best Employers India 2017' title.
- The Supreme Court of India has taken its first step towards becoming a paperless, digital court.
- Telangana hosted the first outreach program of the Ministry of External Affairs ‘Videsh Sampark’ to engage the State governments in creating awareness about various programmes of the Ministry.
- Telangana has introduced a logo for identifying vehicles driven by persons with hearing impairment and has become the first state in the country to do so.
- Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari launched the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) Masala Bond at the London Stock Exchange, UK.
- Edelweiss Tokio launched India's first and the simplest life insurance product that can be bought at a point of sale (PoS) has finally been launched.
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar has decided to gather a detailed data of every resident and issue a sleek identity for every house in Haryana. The objective of this two-month long data generating exercise, to be launched on June 15, 2017 is to get details of land holdings and status of facilities.
Click the "Download Now" button to Download in PDF