DAILY CURRENT AFFAIR: 17TH JANUARY
- Mysuru based Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Pvt. Ltd a wholly owned subsidiary of RBI has set a new record of printing 10.9 million currency notes in a day breaking the previous record held by American currency printing press of printing 8.7 million notes in a day.
- 170th 'Sadguru Sri Thyagaraja Aaaradhana Festival' ends on 17 th January,2016 in Tamil Nadu.
- Bharatb Heavy Electrical Limited(BHEL) has commissioned a new 500 MW Thermal Unit at Sagardighi, West Bengal.
- Union Information and Broadcasting Minister M Venkaiah Naidu has launched a Post Graduate Course in Urdu Journalism at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication(IIMC) in New Delhi.
- State Transport Minister of Kerala A K Saseendran has announced Kozhikode an elderly-friendly city,first of its type in Kerala.
- 'Khelo India National Level Competition' on various sports for Under-14 and Under-17 children has been inaugurated byThe Minister of States for Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goyel.
- Two naval ships named 'Hingol' and 'Basol' are given to Pakistan by China to protect much anticipated 46 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor project.
- Fashion and Lifestyle Department store'Central' of Future Group has tied up with SBI Card launching a co- branded credit card named 'Central SBI SELECT'and 'SELECT +'.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI) has tightened the Mergers and Acquisitions(M&A) norms for unlisted firms.It directs that public share holding after merger in the resultant entity must be more than 25%.The unlisted companies can merge only with Listed companies.
- International Monetary Fund has downgraded India's growth forecast to 6.6% from 7.6% resulting to India's hand over of'Fastest Growing Economy'tag to China.
- India signs an agreement of 48 million Dollars with World Bank for Nagaland Health Project.
- Rajeev Singh will take charge as interim chief of Prasar Bharati in February,2017.He will replace S C Panda.
- Kiran Doshi has been conferred 'The Hindu Prize 2016' for his book 'Jinnah often came to our house' at 7th edition of The Hindu Lit for Life festival 2017 in Chennai,Tamil Nadu.
- Mercedes has named 'Valtteri Bottas' as the new partner of Lewis Hamilton for the upcoming Formula One season. Valtteri Bottas will replace retired driver Nico Rosberg in Mercedes.
- Deepak Roy,National Award winner for his movie 'Limit to Freedom' has passed away at the age of 67.