Once again we have brought to you our Daily Current Affairs Updates - 6th June 2018. We have included some of the top picked Latest News Headlines which can be important for your government examinations like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar kind of examinations. Aspirants should not only go through our updates but also through the One Liner GK and Daily CA Quiz to boost their performance in the examination.
Theme: "Beat Plastic Pollution”.In order to raise awareness about protecting the environment, every year June 5 is celebrated as World Environment Day as has been designated by the United Nations (UN).
- Environment might be one of the the most important treasures we have, but human beings do end up treating it recklessly. In order to raise awareness about protecting it, every year June 5 is celebrated as World Environment Day as has been designated by the United Nations (UN).
New Appointments: National
The Government Appoints IDBI Bank’s MK Jain As RBI Deputy Governor
- Jain has been the managing director and chief executive officer of IDBI Bank Ltd. since April 2017. A career banker, Jain has previously served as the CEO of Indian Bank.
Committees in News
The government will set up a non banking finance company (NBFC) dedicated for funding companies in the food processing industry
- She also said that more than 4 lakh jobs would be created by March 2019 as 15 new mega food parks become operational and another 3.4 lakh direct and indirect jobs will be generated created with operations of 122 projects approved under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
SEBI moves to ease corporate insolvency resolution process
- Corporate insolvency resolution process (CIRP) in India will get a boost with SEBI now amending its ‘Takeover Code’ to remove capital infusion hurdles in companies with approved resolution plans under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC).
Markets regulator Sebi has drastically slashed the 'additional expense' charged by mutual funds to just 5 basis points to help increase the penetration of such products among investors.
- The move will help reduce the cost of investing in MFs and industry players believe that it may result in lower commissions for distributors.
Rankings & Indexes
According to the report released by Assocham and NEC, India is among the top five e-waste generating countries in the world besides China, the US, Japan and Germany,
- The global volume of e-waste is expected to reach 52.2 million tonne (MT) or 6.8 kg per inhabitant by 2021 from 44.7 MT in 2016 at a compound annual growth rate of 20 per cent, according to the study.
Fitch Ratings has downgraded the Viability Rating (VR) of Punjab National Bank to ‘b’ from ‘bb-’ and maintained negative ratings.
- The two-notch downgrade to PNB’s VR is a reflection of the significant deterioration in its standalone credit profile, mainly due to a drop in its core capital ratio that was bigger than Fitch’s expectation.
According to the 'Status of Environment Report, India 2015', India's forest cover stood at 21.34 percent in 2015, an increase of 1.29 percent from 2009.
- As per the latest estimate by Forest Survey of India (FSI), in 2015, the forest cover stood at 21.34 percent of India's total geographical area, with a marginal rise from 20.05 percent in 2009, it said.
Government announces Rs 8000 crore bailout package to cash-starved sugar mills
- The Union government on Monday announced a package of more than Rs 8,000 crore aimed to provide relief to sugarcane farmers and to clear their dues, officials said.
- The package is part of the government’s efforts to address the ongoing agrarian crisis in the country and offset its political impact.
In a first, Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has stumbled upon the remains of a chariot that dates back to “Bronze Age” (2000-1800 BC) at Sinauli village of Baghpat district in Uttar Pradesh.
- Decorated with copper motifs, the findings of the Copper-Bronze age have opened up further research opportunities into the area’s civilisation and culture.
Himachal govt launches helicopter taxi service from Shimla to Chandigarh in 20 minutes
- The service is expected to boost heli texi tourism in the state, and in future could be expanded to other tourist areas as well.
The Ministry of Women and Child Development has proposed to ban obscene depiction of women on the Internet and on SMS/MMS by amending the Indecent Representation of Women Act, 1986.
- The Ministry has also suggested that stricter punishments be awarded for such crimes on par with those recommended under the IT Act, 2008.
The Tamil Nadu government announced a ban on manufacture, sales, storage and usage of disposable plastic across State with effective from January 1, 2019.
- Making a suo motu statement in the Assembly here, Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami said that the announcement was based on the recommendations of an expert panel constituted by former Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in this regard.
Centre to start measuring ‘green GDP’ of States
- The numbers will eventually be used to calculate every State’s ‘green’ Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
UN releases first education guide on fighting anti-Semitism
- The guide, aimed to be used by young people, the teaching world, as well as political leaders, was presented by Audrey Azoulay, UNESCO's first Jewish director general.
Defence & Railway News
India and its two strategic partners- the US and Japan- will hold the Malabar naval exercise from next week off the coast of Guam in the Philippine Sea with an aim to deepen cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region where China has been expanding its military footprint.
- Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar said the upcoming edition of the annual exercise will be very significant in terms of the "scope and complexity" it was aiming at with a view to deal with threats and challenges in the Indo-Pacific region.
Schemes / Programme
Government launches 'Krishi Kalyan Abhiyaan' to help farmers raise their income
- The Krishi Kalyan Abhiyaan will be undertaken in 25 Villages with more than 1000 population, each in 111 Aspirational Districts identified in consultation with Ministry of Rural Development as per directions of NITI Ayog.
- In the districts where the number of villages (with more than 1000 population) is less than 25, all villages will be covered.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
Telangana government and the LIC signed an MoU for the implementation of a Rs five lakh life insurance scheme for the benefit of farmers in the state.
- The Memorandum of Understanding was signed in the presence of Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao at an event where he addressed state agriculture department officers and others.
Ministry of MSME and Ministry of AYUSH signed an MoU in the presence of the Ministers of AYUSH and MSME today in New Delhi.
- The MoU will create synergies through the institutions and schemes of both ministries for the development of AYUSH enterprises in the country. The objective of this partnership is to position India as a world leader in “Holistic Healthcare”.
Other Sports & Award Related News
Swimmer Ben Lecomte begins record Pacific crossing attempt
- A French swimmer has set off from Japan aiming to become the first person to swim across the Pacific Ocean.