Current Affairs Updates - 28th June 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 28th June 2018 has a list of Latest and Updates News Headlines which are all very important for the upcoming government examinations of Bank such as IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL and SSC CHSL. Aspirants should go through these in details to get a better understanding of the topics involved here while at the same time going through the One Liner GK and Quiz section.
New Appointments: National
Senior bureaucrat S Ramesh has been appointed as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), the apex policy-making body for indirect taxes.
- Ramesh, a 1981 batch officer of the Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise), is at present the member in the board, mandated with the responsibility of implementing the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
Committees in News
The Maharashtra government has set up a committee to study issues related to the development of a 1,000-MW floating solar power plant at Ujani dam in Solapur district.
- Among other things, the committee will study the environmental impact of the project and monitor the month-wise water level of the dam.
E Sreedharan Committee to lay down standards for metro rail systems
- Transport infrastructure is one of the most important factors for a country's progress. With rapid Industrialization, Urbanization, Globalization, and concentration of large population in urban centers, the cities, and towns of the country are growing at a faster pace.
Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh said the Centre has released Rs 340 crore to Assam for handling flood-related issues, including relief, rehabilitation and repair works of damaged infrastructure.
- We held a meeting this morning with officials of the state government. We informed that we have released Rs 340 crore as disaster relief fund
National Security Adviser Lt Gen (retd) Nasser Khan Janjua resigned without citing any specific reason.
- His decision, however, appeared to be sudden as he was supposed to chair the Pakistan, Afghanistan track II dialogue on Wednesday. The dialogue to be held at a local hotel was canceled following his resignation.
Oxytocin ban to come into effect from July 1
- Restricting manufacturing and sale of oxytocin formulation to prevent its misuse, the health ministry said no private manufacturer will be allowed to manufacture the drug for domestic use from July 1.
Ten new heritage sites of the country today firmed up action plans for raising their sanitation standards to exemplary levels.
- These Places are Sri Raghavendra Swami Mutt Mantralayam (Andhra Pradesh), Hazarduari Palace (West Bengal), Shri Brahma Sarovar Temple (Haryana), Vidur Kuti Temple (Uttar Pradesh), Mana village (Uttarakhand), Pangong Tso (Jammu and Kashmir), Shri Nag Vasuki Temple (Uttar Pradesh), Nupi Keithel (Manipur), Sree Dharma Sastha Temple (Kerala) and Kanvashram (Uttarakhand), which constitute Phase-III of the Swachh Iconic Places (SIP) initiative of the Swachh Bharat Mission, coordinated by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
Britain’s Queen Elizabeth granted royal assent to Prime Minister Theresa May’s flagship Brexit legislation on Tuesday, ending months of debate over the legislation that will formally end the country’s European Union membership.
- The House of Commons speaker John Bercow said the EU withdrawal bill, passed by both houses of parliament last week, had been signed into law by the monarch, to cheers from Conservative lawmakers.
Nikki Haley is traveling to India for the first time as the US Ambassador to the UN on a two-day visit during which she will meet senior Indian officials, business leaders, and students, underscoring America's "strong alliance" with the country.
- Talks between Nikki Haley, the highest ranking Indian-American in the Donald Trump administration, and Indian officials could include a host of topics including India-US strategic ties and significant global developments.
Defense & Railway News
The world's largest multilateral naval exercise Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) will begin off Hawaii in the Western Pacific Ocean.
- The two-month long biennial exercise is likely to be attended by navies of 26 countries. About 25,000 naval personnel and 52 ships and submarines are participating in this year’s Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise.
Application / Portal
Getting a valid passport will now be much easier for the applicants with the government launching a Passport Seva App
- The app, which was launched by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, makes the process for obtaining a passport much easier.
Schemes / Programme
Accepting suggestions from a woman of Kalimela block of Malkangiri district, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday enhanced the health cover assistance for women to Rs 7 lakh from Rs 5 lakh under the ‘Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana’.
- The woman from Malkangiri, Mamata Padiami had requested to enhance the health assistance under the ‘Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana’ for women.
Summit /Conference / Events
The 15th India-Australia Joint Ministerial Commission (JMC) was held on 25th June 2018, in Canberra, Australia.
- The meeting was jointly chaired by Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu and Australian Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Steven Ciobo.
The 222nd meeting of the Central Board of Trustees, EPF was held yesterday under the chairmanship of Union Minister of State for Labour & Employment (Independent Charge) Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar at New Delhi.
- The Central Board approved the proposal for insertion of Paragraph 68HH in EPF Scheme, 1952 provisioning Advance from the fund to a member who ceases to be in employment for a continuous period not less than one month.
The President of India Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Udyam Sangam-2018 in New Delhi on International MSME Day 2018.
- Referring to UdyamSakhi portal of the MSME Ministry, the President said that it will empower women and weaker sections by providing training to 80 lakh women.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Junior Shooting World Cup: Saurabh Chaudhary strikes gold with a world record
- Sixteen-year-old Indian shooter Saurabh Chaudhary set a new world record on the way to winning a gold medal in the ISSF Junior World Cup in Suhl, Germany.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Economist Lawrence Haddad, Dr. David Nabarro awarded World Food Prize
- The World Food Prize will be awarded this year to two men who have dedicated their careers to improving the availability of nutritious food for pregnant women and children in an effort to reduce the effects of malnutrition in developing countries.