Current Affairs Updates - 21st June 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 21st June 2018 has a list of Latest News Headlines which are all important for the upcoming government examinations of Bank such as IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar examinations. Aspirants should go through each of these in complete details to get a better grab of the topics involved here along with a proper idea of the examination. Also do follow our CA One Liner GK and Note Down Points with the Daily Current Affairs Quiz.
World Refugee Day is observed on 20th June
- In a world where violence forces thousands of families to flee for their lives each day, the time is now to show that the global public stands with refugees.
RBI in News
Concerned over funds sent abroad under the ‘maintenance of close relative’ category of the Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS), the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has narrowed the definition of relatives to check the flow of funds.
- Hence, funds under the ‘maintenance of close relative’ category can be sent only to immediate relatives such as parents, spouses, children and their spouses.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The Banks Board Bureau (BBB), reconstituted in April, has just completed its first major exercise: recommending 22 general managers to be elevated as executive directors at various public sector banks.
- Set up in February 2016 - based on the recommendations of the RBI-appointed Nayak Committee - its broad agenda was to improve governance at state-owned lenders.
ICICI Bank names Sandeep Bakhshi as COO
- CEO Sandeep Bakhshi as whole-time director and chief operating officer (COO), creating a new top position at India’s second largest private bank, to steer all its businesses.
Rankings & Indexes
Shillong has been selected as the 100th city to receive funding under the Centre's flagship Smart Cities Mission after evaluation of the proposal submitted by it.
- The ministry had, till now, kept on hold the final slot for the Smart Cities Mission for the Meghalaya capital, which was selected for its inclusion in the scheme, as the city could not submit its proposal due to state elections on February 27.
US quits 'biased' UN human rights council
- The US has pulled out of the United Nations Human Rights Council, calling it a "cesspool of political bias".
- Nikki Haley, the US envoy to the UN, said it was a "hypocritical" body that "makes a mockery of human rights".
Science & Technology
US scientists have unveiled the world's most powerful and smartest scientific supercomputer that can complete over 200,000 trillion calculations per second - providing unprecedented computing power for research in energy, advanced materials and artificial intelligence (AI).
The US Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)supercomputer called Summit will be eight times more powerful than its previous top-ranked system, Titan.
Defence & Railway News
Indian Railways would provide you a free meal if your train gets delayed on a Sunday, depriving you of a lunch or dinner at home.
- We will provide free meals and bottled water to passengers having reserved tickets in case the train is delayed during the meal hours.
Books & Authors
The ministry had, till now, kept on hold the final slot for the Smart Cities Mission for the Meghalaya capital, which was selected for its inclusion in the scheme, as the city could not submit its proposal due to state elections on February 27.
- The book was divided into four volumes in vedas prose. the brahmin book is placed in the second order of preference of vedic literature.
Application / Portal
Union Human Development Minister Prakash Javadekar on Tuesday launched the National Digital Library, a repository of millions of academic texts from around the world which will be open for all to use.
- The digital library at present hosts 17 million-plus items (books, audiobooks, images etc) in 200-plus languages from more than 170 institutions.
The Telangana police have launched a mobile-based messenger application ‘Cop Connect’ to provide real time information to over 60,000 police officers across the State.
- The app has been developed based on police’s internal communication strategy, which will enable the entire workforce to pro-actively engage and pass real time information in seconds.
Getting the saplings of your choice at the doorstep, that too free of cost, is just a click away in Punjab as the State Government has launched a mobile application —‘i-Hariyali’.
- Aimed at increasing the state's green cover, the mobile application would enable the users to order free plant saplings. The 'i-Hariyali' app, under ‘Mission Tandarust Punjab’ can be downloaded from the app store for free, said an official spokesperson.
Schemes / Programme
Health Minister JP Nadda launches National Health Resource Repository
- Union Health Minister JP Nadda launched the National Health Resource Repository (NHRR) -- the country's first-ever national healthcare registry of authentic, standardised and updated geo-spatial data of all public and private healthcare establishments.
The government plans to expand its BPO promotion scheme to one lakh seats, and will also set up India's largest National data centre in Bhopal.
- The government will increase the capacity under the BPO promotion scheme to one lakh seats from the current 48,000 seats, he said, adding that initiative has not only created new job opportunities but also ensured that people in smaller towns find employment closer home.
Summit /Conference / Events
Asia & Oceania region intergovernmental ministerial meet on anti-doping begins in Colombo
- The annual Asia and Oceania region intergovernmental ministerial meeting on anti-doping began in Colombo on Monday with representatives from 29 countries including India attending.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Anukreethy Vas From Tamil Nadu Crowned Femina Miss India 2018
- Anukreethy Vas, a 19-year-old Tamil Nadu college student, has been crowned Femina Miss India 2018 in a grand ceremony in Mumbai hosted by filmmaker Karan Johar and actor Ayushmann Khurrana.