Current Affairs Updates - 15th June
Current Affairs Updates - 15th June 2018 comprises of all the best features and news exercises from all around the globe given in subtle elements under different areas. These are for the most part significant to the up and coming government examinations of Bank, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other competitive examinations. We trust wannabes would locate this accommodating and experience these in entire points of interest. You may likewise take after our Current Affairs Quiz and One Liner GK and Note Down Points all the time.
Important DaysEvery year, on 14 June, countries around the world celebrate World Blood Donor Day.
- The event serves to thank voluntary, unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood and to raise awareness of the need for regular blood donations to ensure the quality, safety and availability of blood and blood products for patients in need.
New Appointments: NationalDr. Inder Jit Singh, assumed charge as Secretary, Ministry of Coal this morning at Shastri Bhawan office, New Delhi.
- Dr. Inder Jit Singh took over the charge of Secretary which fell vacant after superannuation of Shri Susheel Kumar on April 30 this year. In the interim, Secretary Mines, Shri Anil G Mukhim (IAS:1985:GJ) had been holding additional charge as Secretary, Coal.
- Chennai-born Ms. Suryadevara, 39, has been General Motor’s vice president of corporate finance since July 2017. She will report to Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mary Barra, 56, who has been head of the automaker since 2014.
Banking, Economic & Financial AffairsThe Union Cabinet approved the proposal to grant HDFC Bank permission to raise additional capital of up to Rs 24,000 crore from foreign direct investment.
- The decision would ensure that the composite foreign shareholding in the bank inclusive of all types of foreign investments, both direct and indirect, will not exceed 74% of the enhanced paid-up equity share capital of the bank.
Rankings & IndexesAt 17.2%, Axis Bank commands the largest value share of mobile banking transactions but it’s Paytm that tops volumes with 22%.
- However, Paytm’s value share is a meagre 0.25%, according to State Bank of India’s (SBI) annual report for 2017-18 which has put out Reserve Bank of India’s data for January 2018.
National AffairsInflation based on wholesale prices shot up to a 14-month high of 4.43 per cent in May on increasing prices of petrol and diesel as well as vegetables.
- According to government data released, inflation in food articles was at 1.60 per cent in May 2018, against 0.87 per cent in the preceding month.
Application / PortalCashless Ticketing through 'Utsonmobile' app developed by Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS)
- The ‘utsonmobile’ application enables booking and cancellation of unreserved tickets, issue and renewal of season and platform tickets, check and load R-wallet balance and helps maintain user profile management and booking history.
Agreements/ MoUs SignedThe Maharashtra government and Canada's Quebec province have signed a pact to increase the economic cooperation, especially in areas like information technology, biotechnology, artificial intelligence and welfare of the tribal community.
- Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, who is on a week-long tour to the US and Canada, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to this effect with Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard.
- The decision in this regard was taken during a series of meetings visiting Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu had with US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer.
- The MoU aims at cooperation in areas of common interest within the medical, life sciences and health research fields.
- Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications and Viet Nara Post mutually agreed to jointly issue Postage Stamps on India-Viet Nam: Joint Issue on the theme "Ancient Architecture".
- The agreement aims to establish the basis for a cooperative institutional relationship to encourage and promote technical bilateral cooperation on new and renewable issues on the basis of mutual benefit equality and reciprocity.
Summit /Conference / EventsPrime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates integrated command and control centre of Naya Raipur Smart City
- The Integrated Command and Control Centre of the Naya Raipur Smart City was inaugurated by Prime Minster Narendra Modi today. Hardeep Puri, MoS(I/C), Housing and Urban Affairs and Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, Dr. Raman Singh were also present on the occasion. Integrated Command & Control Centre of Naya Raipur becomes the 10th Smart City Centre to be operational in the country.
- BEL, India’s leading defence electronics company, is fast expanding its global presence, putting its best foot forward to give a thrust to exports worldwide, especially South East Asian countries such as the Republic of Union of Myanmar, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Philippines.
- The scheme also aims at linking five crore women across the country to the initiative, the minister said.
Awards & Honours: MiscellaneousNoted social reformer and founder of Sulabh International, Bindeshwar Pathak, was honoured with Japan’s prestigious ‘Nikkei Asia Prize for Culture and Community’ for his significant work in tackling poor hygiene and discrimination.
- Launched in 1996, the award honours people in Asia who have made significant contributions in one of the three areas: regional growth; science, technology and innovation; and culture and community.
Other Sports & Award Related NewsThe 2026 World Cup will be held in the United States, Canada and Mexico after their joint bid beat Morocco's proposal to host it.
- The 'United 2026' bid was selected by Fifa member nations, winning 134 votes compared to 65 for Morocco.