Current Affairs Updates - 11th June 2018
Follow Current Affairs Updates on 11th June 2018 if you are preparing for government exams like SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK and other similar examinations. We bring to you short summary of relevant news articles which is easy to read and understand. We try to keep it as much simple as possible for the user to understand. Also, do follow our Static GK and Note Down Points along with One Liners where you will get all the Latest News in simple single sentences and Current Affairs Quiz which is also equally important.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The Finance Ministry is planning to transfer shares of five sick CPSEs including HMT and Andrew Yule & Company, to the SNIF fund to meet Sebi's minimum 25 per cent public shareholding.
- The Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) whose shares would be transferred to the Special National Investment Fund (SNIF) are Fertilizers & Chemicals (Travancore) (FACT), Hindustan Photo Films Manufacturing Co., Scooters India, HMT and Andrew Yule & Company .
Indian Navy Brings Back 38 Stranded Indians From Cyclone-Hit Yemen Island
- The cyclone Mekunu had badly hit various parts of Oman and the Socotra island.
The government is strengthening back-end supply chain of over 3,600 Jan Aushadhi stores to ensure availability of low-cost generic medicines
- Technological efforts are also being made to connect the stores with warehouses and update stock situation on a real-time basis for maintaining an adequate supply.
NSE IFSC, a subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange, has put in place a framework for 'omnibus' trade, which will help overseas investors escape direct registration process and go through authorised brokers
- The move will also help in smooth transition of liquidity from Singapore Exchange (SGX) to Indian offshore exchange at Gujarat International Finance Tech (GIFT) City.
The United Nations General Assembly voted to elect Germany, Belgium, South Africa, the Dominican Republic and Indonesia for a two-year term in the Security Council starting on Jan. 1, 2019.
- The council is the only U.N. body that can make legally binding decisions and has the power to impose sanctions and authorize the use of force.
Science & Technology
ISRO’s PRL scientists discover an ‘EPIC’ planet
- In an epic Indian discovery, a team from the Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, has spotted for the first time a distant planet six times bigger than Earth and revolving around a Sun-like star about 600 light years away. Both the planet and the star have been named EPIC.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India and China ink 2 MoUs on sharing of Brahmaputra river data and supply of non-Basmati rice
- In a significant move, China agreed to provide India hydrological data of the Brahmaputra River in flood season, months after Beijing stopped the practice, crucial to predict floods.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) leaders taking part in a summit in China’s Qingdao have singed the Qingdao Declaration.
- The signing ceremony involved the leaders of China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi met Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev on the sidelines of the SCO Summit here and the two leaders reviewed the full range of bilateral ties, especially ways to boost economic and cultural links.
- It is for the first time that an Indian Prime Minister is attending the summit after India along with Pakistan became a full-fledged member of the group jointly dominated by China and Russia, which has been increasingly seen as a counter to NATO.
India and China have decided to set up a new "people to people mechanism" to build on the momentum in bilateral ties from the Wuhan Summit
- The decision to step up people to people contacts was announced by Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale during a press briefing after the meeting between the two leaders in this coastal city of China where Prime Minister Modi has arrived for the annual summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
Eight states and four UTs have signed MoUs with the Union Health Ministry to implement the government's ambitious national health protection mission, which aims to provide a cover of Rs 5 lakh per family annually to 10 crore vulnerable families
- Four states - Delhi, Odisha, Punjab and West Bengal - have not yet given any positive response towards adopting the programme.
India and China have signed 24 agreements worth over 10 billion dollars in Beijing this morning after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks with Chinese premier Li Keqiang.
- Some of these include Action plan between national railway administration of China and Indian Railways, Memorandum of Understanding on education exchange programme, Safety regulations on importing Indian rapeseed meal, Agreement for cooperation in the field of tourism and more.
Summit /Conference / Events
The Eleventh edition of GeoIntelligence Asia 2018 organised by GeoSpatial Media and Communication with Directorate General of Information System as Knowledge Partners and Military Survey as Co-organisers, took place at Manekshaw Centre, New Delhi
- The theme of Seminar was ‘GeoSpatial : A Force Multiplier for Defence and Industrial Security’. The seminar brought together the military, security officials including BSF and Police Forces, Government and industry together to examine the latest technology solutions and on the critical role of geospatial technology in military and security applications
Awards & Honours: Sports
World number one Simona Halep finally won her first Grand Slam title with a gutsy comeback victory over American 10th seed Sloane Stephens in the French Open final.
- But the 26-year-old Romanian battled back to take a see-saw second set against the US Open champion.
Anu Kumar wins men's 800m at Asian Junior Athletics Championship
- Middle distance runner Anu Kumar claimed a gold in the men's 800m and Arpandeep Kaur Bajwa grabbed a bronze in the women's discus throw as India added three more medals to its tally on the third day of the Junior Asian Athletics Championships.
New Zealand women make record ODI total in win over Ireland in Dublin
- The White Ferns surpassed their own 21-year record of 455 in the 48th over at the YMCA Sports Club in Dublin.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Veteran actor Anupam Kher will be given the prestigious Outstanding Achievement honour at the upcoming International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards ceremony in Bangkok.
- The 63-year-old actor, who has worked in over 500 films spanning across languages along with projects both in India and abroad for over three decades, will be honoured for his contribution in the field of cinema.
Odisha's most popular lyricist, Narayan Prasad Singh popularly known as Rasaraj died at his residence
- Born on May 28, 1933 at Koeli village, Singh earned his name in the world of Odia music. He was the lyricist of several popular melodious songs in Odia cinema.
Theatre personality Sukracharya Rabha passes away at 41
- Noted Assamese theatre personality Sukracharya Rabha, famed for his open air theatre festival, died of cardiac arrest at his village home in Goalpara district .