One Liner GK Current Affairs - 9th May 2018
One Liner GK Current Affairs for 9th May 2018 consists of a list of Latest News Headlines based on the pattern of the upcoming examination of Bank, Rail and SSC such as IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and Railway exams. We have added a list of Static GK and Note Down Points at the end of the article in bullet points which are also important for the upcoming examinations and have been given under the different sections of National, International, Schemes, Obituary, Appointments, and Summits and other Miscellaneous parts.
- World Red Cross day means 8th of May is celebrated every year as the birthday anniversary of founder of the Red Cross.
Committees in News
- New committee to be formed to review conduct of everyday business in Rajya Sabha
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
- BSE will launch trading in the commodity derivatives segment from October 1, and to start with, it will focus on non-agri products.
- The National Stock Exchange of India on Monday introduced a facility of managed colocation service, which has been named, ‘Colocation as a Service’ (CaaS).
- Central government has laid down guidelines for labelling genetically modified food
- India has launched a flood and earthquake early warning systems in Myanmar.
- Cabinet secretary PK Sinha gets another one-year extension
- As many as 100 additional districts would have One Stop Centres (OSC) aimed at supporting women affected by violence, as part of plans to cover all districts of the country in due course, an official statement said on Monday.
- U.S. and Philippine forces began their largest annual military exercises since President Rodrigo Duterte came to power and vowed to scale down America’s military presence in the country as he sought closer ties with China and Russia.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Secretary -General Rashid Kutbiddinovitch Alimov arrived here on Monday to hold talks with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and other Union ministers.
- As many as 100 additional districts would have One Stop Centres (OSC) aimed at supporting women affected by violence, as part of plans to cover all districts of the country in due course
- Rajasthan institute comes up with new sheep insemination technique
- New York AG Eric Schneiderman resigns over assault allegations
- Journalist Carlos Alvarado was sworn in as Costa Rica's president through 2022, promising a "plural" and inclusive government following an election and runoff where same-sex marriage became a key issue.
- Donald Trump withdraws US from Iran nuclear deal
Science & Technology
- Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) has developed an atomic clock that will be used in navigation satellites to measure precise location data.
- Researchers tracking the evolution of the remote access trojan GravityRAT warn that developers behind the malware have made key changes to the RAT’s code in an attempt to decrease antivirus detection.
- Google said it had appointed Nitin Bawankule as the country head for its cloud business in India, as the search giant looks at taking a larger share of the booming demand for those services in the country.
Schemes / Programme
- After the launch of the Van Dhan Vikas Kendra at Bijapur by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on 14th April, 2018 and his call to converge Jan Dhan, Van Dhan and Govardhan Schemes, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA), Government of India proposes to expand Van Dhan Vikas Kendras in Tribal Districts across the country.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
- The World Bank will provide a USD 200 million loan to help the government achieve its goal of reducing stunting in children 0-6 years of age from 38.4 per cent to 25 per cent by the year 2022
- India and Guatemala signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for expanding cooperation in the area of diplomatic training.
- The tax department has notified the amendments of Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Kuwait, which enables sharing of information with other law enforcement agencies.
- The National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC) has recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) for the year 2018-19.
Summit /Conference / Events
- The two-day conference ‘First Apex Conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities' will be held in Bhopal
- The ‘1st Sensitization Meeting of Stakeholders to make Delhi a Model Accessible City’ Held
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announced a climate summit set to take place in September 2019 in New York to review the Paris Agreement commitments.
STATIC GK AND NOTE DOWN POINTS
- NSE: National Stock Exchange
- NSE Currency: Indian rupee
- NSE CEO: Vikram Limaye
- BSE: Bombay Stock Exchange
- US Attorney general: Jefferson Sessions
- US Capital: Washington, D.C.
- US President: Donald Trump
- Philippine Capital: Manila
- Philippine Currency: Philippine peso
- Philippine President: Rodrigo Duterte
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Secretary General: Rashid Alimov
- Costa Rica President: Luis Guillermo Solís
- Costa Rica Capital: San José
- Costa Rica Currency: Costa Rican colón
- Iran President: Hassan Rouhani
- Iran Capital: Tehran
- Iran Currency: Iranian rial
- ISRO: Indian Space Research Organization
- ISRO Headquarters: Bengaluru
- ISRO Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- World Bank President: Jim Yong Kim
- World Bank Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- World Bank CEO: Kristalina Georgieva
- Guatemala Capital: Guatemala City
- Guatemala Currency: Guatemalan quetzal
- Guatemala Continent: North America
- Guatemala Official language: Spanish
- Kuwait Capital: Kuwait City
- Kuwait Currency: Kuwaiti dinar
- NSIC: National Small Industries Corporation Limited
- NSIC Headquarters: New Delhi