One Liner GK Current Affairs - 13th May 2018
One Liner GK Current Affairs - 13th May 2018 includes some of the vital news headlines such as India's Economic Growth will accelerate to 7.3 per cent, Jammu and Kashmir Cabinet abolishes stamp duty on sale of properties in women's name, India dispatches warship to Maldives for joint surveillance of Exclusive Economic Zone and more which have all been mentioned under its respective segments. These are very important for the upcoming government examinations of IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar examinations. Aspirants should go through these in details to get a better understanding of the subjects and the topics.
- International Nurses Day is celebrated on 12 May
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
- SEBI has asked listed companies to split the post of Chairman and Managing Director by April 2020.
- Reserve Bank has initiated prompt corrective action against public sector lender Dena Bank in view of high non-performing loans, restricting the bank from giving fresh credit and new hiring.
- India's economic growth will accelerate to 7.3 per cent in the current fiscal and 7.5 per cent in the next as money supply has recovered to its pre-demonetisation level and disruptions related to the rollout of GST have diminished.
- Government departments earmark Rs 16,500 cr for Swachh Bharat Mission in 2018-19
- Punjab gets major fillip in industrial development of state as a result of which at least 21 mega companies is going to be set up in Ludhiana
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh praised the Jharkhand government for its success against Maoists and said that it was a matter of pride for him.
- Jammu and Kashmir Cabinet abolishes stamp duty on sale of properties in women's name.
- India dispatches warship to Maldives for joint surveillance of Exclusive Economic Zone
- President Donald Trump's administration has ended US space agency Nasa's monitoring system into greenhouse gases.
- The first-ever oral cholera vaccination campaign in Yemen was launched on 6 May and concludes on 15 May, just before the start of Ramadan.
- Iraq holds its first parliamentary election since IS defeat
- President Ram Nath Kovind unveiled India's first, indigenous lithium-ion battery charger, developed by Ampere Vehicles
Science & Technology
- SpaceX blasted off its newest and most powerful Falcon 9 rocket, known as the Block 5, carrying the first high-orbit communications satellite for Bangladesh and marking a leap forward in re-usability for the California-based aerospace company.
- NASA will send a small helicopter to Mars as part of the U.S. space agency's 2020 mission to place a next-generation rover on the Martian surface, marking the first time such an aircraft will be used on another world.
Defence & Railway News
- Indian Railway is likely to spend almost Rs 90,000 crore to improve connectivity in the northeast by 2020, including a 795-km railway line in Arunachal Pradesh that will provide accessibility right up to the China border, and connections between the capitals of all northeastern states.
Books & Authors
- Gen Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army the Staff today released the book 'Across the Bench - Insight into the Indian Military Judicial System' by Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan, former Army Commander and Member 'A', Armed Forces Tribunal, Lucknow Bench.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
- India and Russia strengthen ties discussing issues related to security and enhancing bilateral contacts.
- India and Peru signed agreement in field of Renewable Energy that will increase trade, investments and cooperation among these countries.
- The Kerala State Electricity Board has signed a memorandum of understanding with the National Thermal Power Corporation for increasing solar power generation in the state.
- INDIA and MYANMAR signed Seven agreements which includes Agreement on Land Border Crossing, MoU on Restoration and Preservation of Earthquake Damaged Pagodas in Bagan, MoU on assistance to the Joint Ceasefire Monitoring Committee,MoU on Training of Myanmar Foreign Service Officers, MoU on Setting up Industrial Training Centre (ITC) at Monywa, MoU on ITC at Thaton and Exchange of Letters on extending a maintenance contract for ITC Myingyan.
Summit /Conference / Events
- Indian Customs and Department of India Posts held a First ever Joint Conference at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi to deliberate on streamlining of imports and exports by post.
Awards & Honours: Sports
- The Indian duo of Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy entered into the semi-finals of the Men’s doubles event of Australian Open 2018.
- Indian judokas win three medals on first day of Asian Cadet Judo Championships
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
- Prof Muhammad Yunus conferred KISS (Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences) Humanitarian Award 2018
- Oscar-winning film editor Anne V. Coates dies at 92
STATIC GK AND NOTE DOWN POINTS
- SEBI: Securities Exchange Board of India
- SEBI Headquarters: Mumbai
- SEBI Agency executive: Ajay Tyagi
- RBI: Reserve Bank of India
- RBI Interest on reserves: 4.00%
- RBI Bank rate: 6.00%
- RBI Headquarters: Mumbai
- DENA Bank Headquarters: Mumbai
- DENA Bank CEO: Shri. Ashwani Kumar
- Maldives Capital: Malé
- Maldives Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
- Maldives President: Abdulla Yameen
- NASA: National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- NASA Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- NASA Founder: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Yemen Capital: Sana'a
- Yemen Currency: Yemeni rial
- Iraq Capital: Baghdad
- Iraq Currency: Iraqi dinar
- Iraq President: Fuad Masum
- Iraq Prime minister: Haider al-Abadi
- SpaceX CEO: Elon Musk
- SpaceX Headquarters: Hawthorne, California, United States
- China President: Xi Jinping
- China Capital: Beijing
- China Currency: Renminbi
- Russia Currency: Russian ruble Trending
- Russia Capital: Moscow
- Russia President: Vladimir Putin
- Peru Capital: Lima
- Peru Currency: Sol
- Peru Co-official languages: Quechua; Aymara
- Myanmar Capital: Naypyidaw
- Myanmar Currency: Burmese kyat
- Myanmar President: Win Myint
- Australia Capital: Canberra
- Australia Prime Minister: Malcolm Turnbull