Daily Current Affairs Updates - 21st May 2018
Read our today's Daily Current Affairs Updates for 21st May 2018 which has all the Important news given in details from the weekend. We bring to you only those kind of news which are very important for the upcoming examinations of Bank like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and Railway examinations. Aspirants should go through these in details to get study the GK Pointers and mark the important points. We also provide you with One Liner GK and Static Note Down Points along with Daily Current Affairs Quiz. We appreciate your feedback and are always working on it.
The worldwide community of museums will celebrate International Museum Day on and around 18 May 2018. Theme: Hyperconnected museums: New approaches, new publics".
- The objective of International Museum Day is to raise awareness of the fact that, “Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.”
New Appointments: National
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of Mahanadi Coalfields chief Anil Kumar Jha as Chairman and Managing Director of Coal India.
- Jha will likely replace Coal Ministry’s Additional Secretary Suresh Kumar, who had recently assumed additional charge as the coal behemoth’s chief.
Rajinder Singh was named president of Hockey India (HI), following Mariamma Koshy's resignation from the post.
- Singh, who is the Senior Vice President of HI will take charge as President from today, according to media release.
New Appointments: International
Gina Haspel confirmed as CIA's first female director
- The US Senate has approved the CIA's first female director, despite her role in the spy agency's post-9/11 interrogation programme.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
According to a UN report, India’s economy is projected to grow 7.6% in fiscal year 2018-19.
- The UN World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) as of mid-2018, launched at United Nations, said GDP growth in India is expected to climb to 7.5 and 7.6% in fiscal years 2017-18 and 2018-19 respectively.
World Bank extends 300 mn dollar credit to scale up energy efficiency program
- The Program, to be implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), will help scale up the deployment of energy saving measures in residential and public sectors, strengthen EESL’s institutional capacity, and enhance its access to commercial financing.
The Commission for Scientific and Technical Terminology has decided to adopt the word ‘AYUSH’ in Hindi and English languages for scientific and technical purposes.
- The “AYUSH” became popular as the acronym for five traditional and complementary systems of medicine, namely Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy and successfully adopted and used in all Government communications.
NITI Aayog, in association with Vision India Foundation, is organising the Venture Capital Symposium 2018 to deepen the economic relationships between France and India.
- The Venture Capital Symposium 2018 is a three day event where the French investors will be interacting with 100 early to mid-stage Indian start-ups.
Prime Minister of the Netherlands Mark Rutte will visit India on May 24 and 25 with an aim to boost the economic and political cooperation between the two countries.
- It will be Rutte's second visit to India since June 2015 but the first after being re-elected as prime minister in 2017.
In a major bureaucratic reshuffle, the Centre today appointed senior IAS officers Amit Khare and Anup Wadhawan as secretaries in the Information and Broadcasting Ministry and the Commerce Ministry, respectively.
- MM Kutty has been named new petroleum secretary and senior bureaucrat Rina Ray the secretary in the Department of School Education and Literacy, an order issued by Personnel Ministry said.
Russia has presented to the media the world's first floating nuclear power station in the port of the far northern city of Murmansk.
- The Akademik Lomonosov was towed out of the St. Petersburg shipyard, where it was constructed, on April 28, arriving on May 17 in Murmansk, where its nuclear reactors will be fueled.
Defence & Railway News
The Northeast Frontier Railway has started operating one lease Parcel Cargo Express Train (PCET) on fortnightly basis, connecting Northeastern part of the country to the West Coast
- The PCET has been started in line with the Government's priority to provide connectivity to the Northeast region and empowering the local industries there.
Schemes / Programme
Minister Harsh Vardhan’s ‘Green Good Deeds’ gets global recognition
- Green Good Deeds, the societal movement launched by Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan to protect environment and promote good living has found acceptance by the global community.
Summit /Conference / Events
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be on a day-long visit to Jammu and Kashmir during which he will lay the foundation for Zojila tunnel on the Srinagar-Leh National Highway beside launching several other development projects.
- Modi's visit to the state comes two days after the Centre asked the security forces to halt their operations during Ramadan following chief minister Mehbooba Mufti's call for a ceasefire.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Asian, Arab, and women filmmakers scored big at the closing ceremony of the 71st Cannes Film Festival, while Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda took home the top prize — the Palme d’Or.
- Kore-eda, in the festival’s main competition for the fifth time, won the Palme d’Or for ‘Manbiki Kazoku’ (Shoplifters), a deeply felt film about a cobbled-up family existing on the margins of society and fighting to prevent itself from imploding.
Shivangi Pathak becomes youngest Indian woman to scale Mount Everest
- Managing Director of Seven Summit Treks, Mingma Sherpa told DD News Kathmandu correspondent that 16-year-old Shivangi successfully stood atop world’s highest mountain.
India’s Jagriti Yatra wins charity award in UK
- An Indian charity that organises 15-day train journeys around India to understand and build the India of smaller towns and villages through enterprise has won an award in London.
Iron ore mining major NMDC Ltd has bagged the S&P Global Platts Global Metals Award 2018 in the corporate social responsibility category.
- At an event held at London Grosvenor Square Marriott Hotel in the UK, N. Baijendra Kumar, Chairman-cum-Managing Director, and Sandeep Tula, Director (Personnel), NMDC Ltd, received the coveted award.