Daily Current Affairs Updates - 17th May 2018
Today we have updated the Latest News Headlines in Daily Current Affairs Updates - 17th May 2018. We have included all those GK and CA Updates which are specifically important for exams like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar examinations.To make it easy for you to study, the entire section of CA has been grouped under different headers such as Banking, National Affairs, Schemes, Awards, Honors and Agreements. We hope readers will go through this article in details along with the Regular Current Affairs Quiz as it will help to boost your knowledge and strengthen your knowledge. If you want to study only the important points and do not want to get the details then you can follow our Daily One Liner and Static GK and Note Down Points.
Important DaysInternational Day of Living Together in Peace is observed on 16th May
- Living together in peace is all about accepting differences and having the ability to listen to, recognize, respect and appreciate others, as well as living in a peaceful and united way.
New Appointments: NationalShashank Manohar elected unopposed, to serve 2nd term as ICC chairman
- Manohar, who became the first independent ICC Chairman in 2016, will continue for a second two-year term following his unopposed election.
- The top court also issued notices to Karnataka government and Yeddyurappa seeking their replies on the plea filed by Congress-JD (S) combine and posted the matter for hearing
- Ms. Sharma will be responsible for overseeing and guiding USIBC’s growth strategy in India through its offices in New Delhi and Mumbai.
- Vodafone Group Plc Chief Executive Officer Vittorio Colao is leaving after a decade of retreating from aggressive global growth in favor of the European market, handing the reins to company veteran Nick Read.
Banking, Economic & Financial AffairsIndia Fastest Growing Economy At 7.4 Per Cent In 2018: International Monetary Fund
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) reaffirmed that India will be the fastest growing major economy in 2018, with a growth rate of 7.4 per cent that rises to 7.8 per cent in 2019 with medium-term prospects remaining positive.
Rankings & IndexesAccording to Mercom report, India 3rd largest solar market in world behind China and US
- India set a new record with 9.6 GW of solar installations in 2017, which was more than double the 4.3 GW installed in 2016.
With an aim to boost renewable power generation, the government today announced a national wind-solar hybrid policy, which seeks to promote new projects as well as hybridisation of the existing ones.
- The government has set an ambitious target of achieving 175 gigawatt (gw) of installed capacity from renewable energy sources by 2022, which includes 100 gw of solar and 60 gw of wind power capacity.
To conserve and develop indigenous breeds to increase milk productivity, the Agriculture Ministry will set up a frozen semen station in Maranga, Purnea in Bihar.
- According to Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh, the frozen semen station is being set up at a cost of Rs 64 crore under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission with 100 per cent contribution from the Central Government.
BSNL partners SAP to boost GST compliance in rural India
- State-owned telecom operator BSNL signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with enterprise solutions provider SAP to jointly offer innovative GST (goods and services tax) solutions to enterprises across India.
- The leader of the single largest opposition party in the Lok Sabha, Mallikarjun Kharge, did not turn up after he was asked to join the process as a special invitee and not as one of its members.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has published its first 'essential diagnostics list', a catalogue of tests needed to diagnose the most common conditions as well as a number of global priority diseases.
- The step was taken to address the problem of people's inability to access diagnostic services, thus failing to receive the correct treatment.
Science & Technology
Scientists have discovered the fastest-growing black hole known in the universe, describing it as a monster that devours a mass equivalent to our Sun every two days.
- The astronomers have looked back more than 12 billion years to the early dark ages of the universe. This black hole is growing so rapidly that it's shining thousands of times more brightly than an entire galaxy, due to all of the gases it sucks in daily that cause lots of friction and heat
Defence & Railway News
Railways To Install 'Panic Button' In Trains For Women Safety
- With a view to strengthen security of women passengers in trains, the North Eastern Railway plans to deploy women police personnel on trains during night hours as well as install 'panic buttons' in coaches.
Online pharmacy Netmeds announced that cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni is its brand ambassador.
- At Netmeds, we believe we have embarked on a journey, and with him on board, we’re even more excited about the road that lies ahead.
Schemes / Programme
IIM-Ahmedabad’s Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) has launched a Bharat Inclusion Initiative to build knowledge and foster innovation and entrepreneurial activity across areas such as financial inclusion, livelihood, education and health.
- The initiative will aim at channelising approximately 25 million dollar over the next 3-4 years towards backing game-changing start-ups, leveraging the ongoing digital transformation in India, to create access to services that were hitherto inaccessible for a large segment of Indians.
Smt Smriti Irani Chairs Meeting of Stakeholders on ‘Samarth’- Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector
- The meeting was chaired by Union Minister of Textiles, Smt Smriti Zubin Irani. The broad objective of the new scheme is to skill the youth for gainful and sustainable employment in the textile sector covering the entire value chain of textiles, excluding spinning and weaving.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India releases grant for river training & construction of embankments in Nepal
- Indian Ambassador to Nepal Manjeev Singh Puri handed over a cheque of grant to Dr. Sanjay Sharma, Secretary Ministry of Energy, Irrigation & Water Resources, Nepal in Kathmandu on Tuesday.
NALCO inks MoU with Government of India for FY 2018-19
- The MoU has been formulated as per Department of Public Enterprise guidelines and finalized after discussions with both Inter-Ministerial Committee as well as Ministry of Mines.
Summit /Conference / Events
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, presented the National Geoscience Awards in New Delhi.
- The President said that India is one of the fastest growing major economies in the world.
The Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) organizes a conference on National IPR Policy
- The National IPR Policy is a vision document that aims to create and exploit synergies between all forms of intellectual property (IP), concerned statutes and agencies. It sets in place an institutional mechanism for implementation, monitoring and review.
President Ram Nath Kovind visited an exhibition on Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) technologies at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in Trombay, Mumbai
- He also dedicated several DAE facilities to the nation including Metal Fuel Pin Fabrication Facility, IGCAR, Kalpakkam and Integrated Centre for Crisis Management, a facility that monitors radiological data from country wide network of 504 radiation centres.
Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman gave away the DRDO Awards- 2016 & 2017 to various DRDO scientists for their outstanding contributions
- Speaking on the occasion, Smt Sitharaman said India being one of the largest procurer of defence equipment, the emphasis on indigenisation has to be reiterated, which has happened in the last four years.
The two-day Seminar being organized by the Ministry of Finance on the theme of “Physical and Social Infrastructure for Regional Development” in Guwahati, Assam.
- The Seminar is organized in collaboration with the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS) and the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industries (FICCI).
Awards & Honours: Sports
Neymar was named as France’s player of the year at an awards ceremony in Paris.
- The Brazilian, the world’s most expensive player, scored 19 goals in just 20 league games for PSG before suffering a foot injury in February that required surgery.
Lewis Hamilton rejuvenated by Spain F1 victory but wary of Monaco GP
- Lewis Hamilton said his world championship defence has been revived by victory at the Spanish Grand Prix.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Mark Tully to get Red Ink Award
- Senior journalist Mark Tully will be honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Red Ink Awards in Mumbai on May 18.
Anindita honoured with Jayadev Rastriya Yuva Puraskar award
- US-based Kathak dancer Anindita Anaam was honoured with the prestigious 'Shri Jayadev Rastriya Yuva Pratibha Puraskar 2018' for outstanding contribution to the field of art.
Other Sports & Award Related News
The India U-16 team lifted silverware by defeating Tajikistan 4-2 on Sunday in the four nation-tournament held in Serbia
- The India colts had a resounding start to the tournament when they got the better of Jordan in the inaugural match.