Current Affairs Updates - 8th May 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 8th May 2018 consists of some of the top headlines and recent news along with some detailed description given in bullet points. These are very important for the upcoming examinations of Bank, Rail and SSC. Aspirants should go through these in details to have a better understanding of the subject. We shall also bring you the Static One Liner and GK Note Down Points for improved performance in the examination.
New Appointments: International
Vladimir Putin sworn in for fourth term in Kremlin ceremony
- Russian president promises to serve people faithfully amid tensions with west and domestic discontent over poverty
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Secretary -General Rashid Kutbiddinovitch Alimov arrived to hold talks with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and other Union ministers.
- Alimov is scheduled to hold talks on a wide array of matters. Today, Alimov will meet Minister of State for Culture Mahesh Kumar at Shastri Bhawan.
India will establish a Marine Observation System Along the Indian Coast (Mosaic). At least six observatories – three along the east coast and and an equal number along the west coast – will be established.
- The project, to be launched later this year is intended to carry out monitoring, especially the marine coastal pollution, said MN Rajeevan, Secretary, Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
After IOC, state-owned Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) has launched home-delivery of diesel in Mumbai and has plans to expand it to other parts of the country.
- 'HP Fuel Connect' will "deliver diesel to select customers having fixed equipment, heavy machinery in their premises in surrounding areas of Uran, Raigad in Maharashtra,
Science & Technology
BrahMos to attain 76% localisation in six months
- BrahMos, the world's fastest supersonic cruise missile, will be achieving 75 per cent localisation in the next six months from the current 65 per cent domestic components that goes into its production
Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) has developed an atomic clock that will be used in navigation satellites to measure precise location data.
- The space agency currently imports atomic clocks from European aerospace manufacturer Astrium for its navigation satellites.
Defence & Railway News
The second phase of the Indian and Malaysian armies' joint military exercise 'Harimau Shakti' was initiated on Monday.
- The exercise was conducted in Hulu Langat forest of Malaysia under harsh and humid conditions.
Schemes / Programme
DEPwD to organise ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’ in Faridabad
- A ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’ is being organized by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in association with Indian Red Cross Society and Sarvodaya Hospital & Research Centre tomorrow on 6th May, 2018 at Huda Convention Centre, Sector-12, Faridabad (Haryana).
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) notified the protocol amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Kuwait.
- The protocol updates the provisions in the DTAA for the exchange of information as per international standards, and also enables sharing of information received from Kuwait for tax purposes with other law enforcement agencies, subject to an authorisation of the competent authority of Kuwait and vice versa.
Summit /Conference / Events
Skill India organizes an Ajeevika and Kaushal Vikas Mela in Bhubaneswar Array of opportunities for youth to connect to New India vision of the country
- Celebrating the spirit of New India, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), together joined hands to amplify the “Gram Swaraj Abhiyaan” of the current incumbent government which is promoting social harmony and awareness around the pro-poor initiatives of the government.
The 7th National Children's Theatre Festival in Kolkata
- Kolkata Eso Natak Shikhi' is a registered theatre group working with children for the last 20 years. From 11th to 13th June, 2010 it is going to organize its 7th National Children's Theatre Festival in Kolkata at the Rabindra Sadan with assistance from the Sishu Kishore Akademi, Ministry of Information & Culture, Govt. of West Bengal.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Young Indian golfer Aditi Ashok notched up her second successive top-10 finish by finishing Tied-sixth at the Volunteers of America LPGA Texas Classic
- The tournament, cut short to 36 holes because of rain and weather, had Aditi setting the clubhouse target as she played her second and final round in 5-under 66 to finish at 7-under 135.
Gagan Narang-Pooja Ghatkar win silver medal in shooting meet
- Olympic medallist Gagan Narang made a fine comeback to the 10m air rifle event as he combined with young Pooja Ghatkar to win the mixed team silver medal in the Grand Prix of Liberation international shooting competition in Pilsen, Czech Republic
India's Ramit Tandon on Sunday toppled number one seed Omar Abdel Meguid of Egypt to win the Abu Dhabi Open, his third title on the Professional Squash Association (PSA) tour.
- The third seed beat the Egyptian 11-6, 6-11, 11-3, 11-2 in an exciting one-hour final.
Leading Marathi bhavgeet singer Arun Date passes away at 84
- Noted Marathi bhavgeet singer Arun Date whose iconic songs like Shukratara, Hya janmavar hya jaganyavar, Bhatukalicha khelamadhale, Asen mi nasen mi and Yeshil yeshil remain popular 60 years after they were recorded, passed away at his residence in Kanjurmarg.