Current Affairs Updates - 30th May 2018
Current Affairs Updates - 30th May 2018 has a list of Latest News Headlines which are very important for the upcoming government examinations of Bank, Rail, SSC and IBPS. Aspirants should go through these news in details to improve their preparation in the examination along with proper referral to Daily Static GK and Note Down Points and Current Affairs Quiz.
International Day of UN Peacekeepers is observed on 29th May. 2018 Theme: “UN Peacekeepers: 70 Years of Service and Sacrifice”
- The Day, 29 May, offers a chance to pay tribute to the contributions of uniformed and civilian personnel to the work of the Organization and to honour more than 3,700 peacekeepers who have lost their lives serving under the UN flag since 1948, including 129 who died last year.
New Appointments: National
Sudha Balakrishnan appointed first CFO of Reserve Bank of India
- Balakrishnan, a chartered accountant, was till recently vice president with the National Securities Depository Ltd (NSDL), India’s first and largest depository, before joining RBI.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
Sebi to implement system-driven disclosures for non-promoters
- The system-driven disclosures in securities market was introduced in December 2015 and is being implemented in a phased manner. It has already been put in place with respect to disclosures of promoter/ promoter group.
The National Informatics Center (NIC) – is launching its fourth data center in Bhubaneshwar on Monday to address the increased load from various new digital projects.
- The server will cater to demand not just from the national projects but also from the state governments. It is also being looked as a disaster recovery zone for projects which are run out of centers in Delhi, Pune and Hyderabad since it will be in a different seismic zone.
DAC approves procurement of equipment for Defence Forces
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Raksha Mantri Nirmala Sitharaman, met here today and accorded approval for the procurement of equipment for the Defence Forces valued at over Rs. 6900 crore.In a major boost to indigenisation and in realisation of India’s growing technological prowess, the DAC approved procurement of Thermal Imaging (TI) Night Sights for the Rocket Launcher (RL) used by the Army and the Air Force under ‘BUY(Indian) IDDM’ category through established Indian Vendors.
Air India’s low-cost international arm Air India Express and budget carrier IndiGo are among the top five lowest cost airlines in the world, according to Melbourne-based travel planning site Rome2rio.
- India ranks fourth among 46 countries with lowest average air fares, while Chile is at the top and Nepal at the bottom of the rankings.
Centre notifies rules for execution of court order against economic offenders
- The gazette notification said the rules will be known as ‘Fugitive Economic Offenders (Procedure for sending Letter of Request to the Contracting State for Service of Notice and Execution of Order of the Special Court) Rules, 2018’ and come into effect from the date of publication in the gazette i.e. May 25.
Coal India’s first thermal power plant to come up in Odisha
- Coal India Ltd (CIL) will develop its first-ever thermal power plant in the country in Odisha, a top company official said here on Monday.
The United Nations Environment Programme is happy to recognise Cochin International Airport Ltd (CIAL) as the world's first fully solar energy-powered airport.
- He hailed the airport, through which more than 10 million people travel each year, for making considerable monetary savings through its solar power plants.
Nepal's Finance Minister Dr Yubaraj Khatiwada will present the first federal budget of the Himalayan nation after completing the three-tier elections held simultaneously in the year of 2017.
- "The economic growth of the previous decade has remained average at 4.3 percent. Now it is expected to reach 5.9 percent this year," Nepal's Finance Minister Dr Yubaraj Khatiwada appraised the parliament on Sunday.
Science & Technology
Google Doodle Celebrates pH Scale Inventor SPL Sorensen
- Google celebrated Danish chemist Soren Peder Lauritz Sorensen who introduced the pH scale to the world with an interactive Doodle. Sorensen's method of expressing acidity -- the negative logarithm of hydrogen ion concentration (pH) -- still has a wide range of real-world uses.
Schemes / Programme
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday launched ‘Paree Pain Katha Tiye’ (A word for the little angel), a State-wide awareness campaign against child sexual abuse.
- UNICEF and the State police have joined hands for the campaign to create awareness on the importance and role of every member of society in preventing child sexual abuse, need for reporting and need for trauma care.
The Gujarat government unveiled its 'Reuse of Treated Waste Water Policy' which aims to reduce the state's dependence on fresh water sources like the Narmada river
- The policy will promote the use of treated waste water and will see the setting up of sewage treatment plants (STP) in all major towns and cities of Gujarat.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
BMGI Enters Into a Strategic Partnership With SmartConnect Technologies
- BMGI, a global management consulting firm, has entered into a strategic partnership with SmartConnect Technologies, which provides Social / Digital Process Transformation through its IP-suite UNFYD®COMPASS across Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, mobility & field service operations.
An Agreement for IBRD Credit of USD 21.7 Million from World Bank for the Strengthening of Public Financial Management in Rajasthan Project was signed.
- The Implementing Entity Agreement was signed by the Secretary, Finance (Budget) on behalf of the Government of Rajasthan, and the Acting Country Director (India) on behalf of the World Bank.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) is teaming up with state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to send extreme weather warnings to people
- The move comes after the IMD came under criticism from several quarters, including some state governments for not sending out specific alerts, a charge denied by the weather body.
Tata Trusts signs MoU with government to provide development support in Naxal-hit districts in Chhattisgarh
- As per the pact, the Tata Trusts will help the government in conducting surveys and providing ground level and technical support in raising the living standards of citizens and ensuring inclusive growth for all, a home ministry official said
Summit /Conference / Events
The main event of 4th International Yoga Day celebrations (IDY-2018) will be held on 21st June 2018 at Dehradun in Uttrakhand.
- Shri Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH announced today that Dehradun (Uttarakhand) has been selected as the venue for Mass Yoga Demonstration (Main Event) of 4th International Day of Yoga on 21st June, 2018.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Yuvraj Singh Awarded 'Most Inspiring Icon Of The Year For Social Welfare'
- Indian star cricketer Yuvraj Singh has been awarded the 'most inspiring icon of the year for Social Welfare" award by the Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival (DPIFF) for his exemplary contribution in the field of social welfare.
Virat Kohli has emerged as the International Cricketer of the Year at the CEAT Cricket Ratings Awards for the 2017-18 season.
- Shikhar Dhawan was presented the International Batsman of the Year Award. New Zealand pace sensation Trent Boult has won the International Bowler of the Year Award.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Kamaljit Bawa first Indian to receive Linnean Medal
- Indian botanist Kamaljit S. Bawa, president of Bengaluru-based non-profit Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), received the prestigious Linnean Medal in Botany from the Linnean Society of London on May 24.