Current Affairs Updates - 2nd May 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 2nd May 2018 has a list of news headlines along with a brief explanation. Only the necessary points have been added from where questions may arise in different government examinations like Bank, IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar examinations. These are all placed under different sections like National, International, Schemes, Obituary, Banking and Awards and Honors. Aspirants should go through them in details and have a clear idea of all such kind of news.
International Workers' Day, also known as Labour Day or Workers' Day in some countries and often referred to as May Day
- It is a celebration of labourers and the working classes that is promoted by the international labour movement which occurs every year on May Day (1 May), an ancient European spring festival.
World Asthma Day is observed on 1st may.
- It is an annual event organized by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) to improve asthma awareness and care around the world.
India maintained their dubious record of being among top 10 nations with regards to doping violations being joint sixth as World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) published its report as per samples collected in 2016
- But in the latest report published on Thursday, India have 69 Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRV), the same as that of Russia, a country which has been under intense international scrutiny for years now.
India Projected to be 2nd Fastest Growing Nation for Passenger Traffic
- The AIC, a global trade body representing airports across the globe, has put Vietnam at the top position with a 8.5 per cent growth rate, followed by India at 7.5 per cent and Iran at 7.3 per cent. China has been placed at the 8th position with 5.9 per cent growth rate.
BS-VI Fuel To Be Available In 17 Districts Of Delhi NCR By April 1, 2019
- The Central government told the Supreme Court that the BS-VI (Euro-VI) fuel will be made available by April 1, 2019, in 17 of the 23 districts in the National Capital Region.
After Red Fort, Dalmia Bharat Group adopts Gandikota Fort also
- Rather, the Dalmia Bharat Group has entered into an understanding with the Union ministry of tourism and culture and the Archaeological Survey of India on April 9 as part of Central government's ‘Adopt Heritage’ scheme.
Science & Technology
NASA is set to launch Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport (InSight) on May 5, the first-ever mission to study the heart of Mars.
- NASA is also launching a separate technology experiment known as Mars Cube One (MarCO), on the same rocket.
Schemes / Programme
Govt. launches Pilot scheme Procurement of Aggregate Power of 2500 MW for three years
- The Government kicks off a Pilot Scheme for Procurement of Aggregate Power of 2500 MW on competitive basis for 3 (three) years under medium term i.e. from generators with commissioned projects but without Power Purchase Agreement.
Uma Bharti launches Gobardhan Yojana from Haryana
- Launching the scheme at the National Dairy Research Institute in the district, she spoke on the importance of Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources - an acronym from Gobar - scheme as a component of the Open Defecation Free-plus strategy across the country.
NITI Aayog to soon come out with development agenda for ‘New India 2022’
- NITI Aayog will soon come out with a development agenda for ‘New India 2022’, which will spell out strategy for expediting economic growth, its vice chairman Rajiv Kumar said
Merger & Acquisitions
India and Nepal to conduct comprehensive review of bilateral trade treaty
- India and Nepal have agreed to take steps such as comprehensive review of the existing bilateral trade treaty to further boost two way commerce and investments between the countries
Summit /Conference / Events
9th India-Japan Energy Dialogue held in New Delhi; both countries agree to work together for energy security, energy access and climate change issues
- The 9th India Japan Energy Dialogue was held in New Delhi. Minister of State(IC) for Power and New &Renewable Energy, Shri R.K Singh, and Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) Mr. Hiroshige Sekosigned a Joint Statement at the conclusion of the meeting.
International Buddhist Conference concluded in Lumbini
- In his concluding remarks Prime Minister of Nepal K. P. Sharma Oli said that Lumbini is a fountain of light that candles Buddha's quest for enlightenment. He said that deliberations on Gautama Buddha's immortal teachings have great relevance in the contemporary world.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Shahzar Rizvi claims No.1 spot in 10m air pistol rankings
- Indian shooter Shahzar Rizvi on Tuesday grabbed the number one spot in ISSF world rankings, riding on his silver medal-winning performance in the just-concluded World Cup in Changwon, Korea.
India’s CA Bhavani Devi wins silver at Fencing tourney in Reykjavik
- India’s CA Bhavani Devi won a silver medal in the sabre event of the Tournoi World Cup Satellite Fencing Championship in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Other Sports & Award Related News
Harendra Singh appointed coach of India men’s hockey team; Sjoerd Marijne to take over women’s side
- Hockey India appointed Harendra Singh as the Chief Coach for the Indian Men’s Hockey Team – a position he takes over from Dutchman Sjoerd Marijne, who will return back to his responsibility as coach of the Indian Women’s Hockey Team.
Veteran Marxist economist and politician Ashok Mitra, 89, is dead
- Eminent Marxist economist and politician, and former finance minister of West Bengal, Ashok Mitra, died at age 89.