Current Affairs Updates - 3rd April
Current Affairs Updates - 3rd April has a list of new headlines marked with a detailed explanation given in bullet points. These have been put under different sections of National, International, Schemes, Programs, Obituary and Banking. All the below mentioned news headlines are based on the Latest Government Exam patterns as these can easily be asked in the upcoming government exams of IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar exams. You may also like the Daily Current Affairs Quiz and One Liner Static and GK Note Down Points.
New Appointments: National
Debjani Ghosh, former managing director of Intel South Asia, is the new president of Nasscom.
- A big propagator of gender diversity and equal representation in corporate India, Ms. Ghosh was the first woman to lead Intel India and MAIT (Manufacturers' Association for Information Technology).
Lt Gen Harpal Singh an alumni of National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla is appointed as Director General Border Roads (DGBR)
- He was commissioned into the Corps of Engineers on 24 December 1982. He later commanded a Border Roads Task Force in Jammu & Kashmir valley. He has also been the Chief Engineer of Project Dantak (BRO) at Bhutan, Chief Engineer (Navy), Mumbai and Chief Engineer HQ Eastern Command.
Senior bureaucrat Chandra Bhushan Kumar has been appointed as Deputy Election Commissioner as part of a major bureaucratic reshuffle effected by the government.
- A total of 13 officers have been appointed as joint secretaries in different central government departments.
New Appointments: International
US diplomat DiCarlo becomes first female UN political chief
- Long-serving American diplomat Rosemary DiCarlo was today appointed to become the first woman to head UN political affairs, one of the most high-profile positions at the world body.
Carlos Alvarado Quesada set to be next Costa Rica President
- Costa Rica's ruling-party presidential candidate Carlos Alvarado Quesada is all set to be the country's next leader, according to preliminary poll results posted by electoral officials.
RBI in News
RBI changes methodology for bond valuation to check manipulation
- In a bid to prevent the possibility of manipulation in the prices of securities, especially government securities (G-Secs), on the last trading day of a quarter, the Reserve Bank of India has changed the methodology used by debt market players, including banks and primary dealers, for their valuation.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
SIDBI celebrated its foundation day as day of Sampark (connect), Sanwad (interaction), Suraksha (security) and Sampreshan (disseminate).
- Chairman Managing Director of SIDBI Shri Mohammad Mustafa launched a series of initiatives.
Jana Small Finance Bank (formerly Janalakshmi Financial Services) announced commencement of its banking operations.
- To cover its extensive customer base, Jana Bank will initially open19 branches across 18 States and expand to 200 banking outlets, including the 25% unbanked rural branches by June 2018.
Sebi decided to double the investment limit by angel funds in venture capital undertakings to Rs 10 crore.
- In this fast changing ecosystem, where angels are investing much higher amounts, the increase is expected provide more opportunities to angel funds.
Rankings & Indexes
The Mangalore International Airport has been adjudged the cleanest airport in the country.
- In the survey conducted across 53 airports in the country by AAI, Mangaluru airport was adjudged the cleanest.
India is now the world’s No 1 almond importer
- The health-conscious Indian seems to be gobbling almonds like never before, leading the country to topple China and Spain to emerge as the world’s largest consumer of the nut in recent times.
Hyderabad ranked the top city in JLL’s 2018 Global City Momentum Index
- Hyderabad has been ranked the top city in the short-term Momentum Ranking of JLL’s annual global survey. The ‘CMI Short-Term Momentum rankings’ published by Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) features Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Pune and Kolkata among the top five cities with Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai also earning a spot among the top 20 in the Global Top 30 index.
Delhi Becomes First Indian City to Roll-Out Euro-VI Ultra Clean Petrol, Diesel
- Ultra-clean Euro-VI grade petrol and diesel, at no additional price, supply has been started in the national capital from yesterday in a bid to combat alarming levels of air pollution.
India is now the second largest mobile phone producer in the world after China, as per information shared by Indian Cellular Association with Telecom Minister Manoj Sinha and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- According to the data shared by ICA, annual production of mobile phones in India increased from 3 million units in 2014 to 11 million units in 2017.
- India replaced Vietnam to become second largest producer of mobile phones in 2017.
Defence & Railway News
The United States and South Korea began their joint military training exercises Sunday as diplomatic relations have been thawing on the Korean Peninsula, according to the South Korean defense ministry.
- The planned drills, known as Foal Eagle and Key Resolve, take place before the April 27 summit between North and South Korea and ahead of a meeting with President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un expected in May.
Schemes / Programme
The Centre has allowed states to set up their own insurance companies for implementing Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
- The move comes after several requests from states as well as observations made by Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in its 2017 report that old crop insurances schemes which have now been merged with PMFBY, were poorly implemented during 2011-2016.
West Bengal government brings out 'RUPASHREE' Scheme for unmarried girls
- What can be called a major step towards ensuring a safe future for young women in West Bengal, the Mamata Banerjee government has launched a scheme called 'Rupashree' which provides one-time financial support to the marriages of poor girls.
Summit /Conference / Events
Shri R K Singh lays foundation stone of the 60 MW Naitwar Mori Hydro Electric Project in Uttarkashi
- The project on Tons river to give 265.5 Million Units of renewable energy to grid and cut CO2 emissions by 0.21 Million Tons annually
Kerala to host Asia's largest startup conclave on April 6, 7
- The initiative is envisaged to provide a platform for start-ups to pitch their products and interact with a wide array of technology and industry leaders from around the world.
Union Minister of State for Corporate Affairs and Law and Justice P.P. Chaudhary embarked on an official visit to Marrakech, Morrocco, for the first International Justice Conference.
- The conference is being organised by parliamentary constitutional monarchy Morrocco in celebration of the judicial reforms undertaken by it in 2017.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Kerala edged West Bengal 4-2 in a dramatic penalty shootout after a 2-2 draw at the end of extra-time to lift the 72nd Santosh Trophy at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata
- Kerala, which had already beaten West Bengal in the group stage of the tournament, started the brighter of the two sides and vaulted into the lead in the 19th minute with a goal from MS Jithin.
John Isner beats Alexander Zverev to win Miami Open title
- Isner wins final match to be played at Crandon Park before it moves 18 miles north next year to the Miami Dolphins' stadium
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Lyricist and director Sreekumaran Thampi has been selected for the J.C. Daniel Award, the Kerala government’s highest honour for lifetime contribution to Malayalam cinema.
- Culture Minister A.K. Balan said in a press release here that the award, comprising 5 lakh and a citation, would be presented to Thampi at the Kerala State Film Award distribution function in Kollam.
Other Sports & Award Related News
Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth met with Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu was appointed as a Deputy Collector in the state government.
- The appointment letter was handed over to him by Naidu in the state's upcoming capital of Amaravati, in the presence of badminton coach Pullela Gopichand.
Former Manipur Chief Minister R K Dorendra Singh passed away at the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital.
- He was 83. Dorendra Singh had been chief minister of the state four times between 1974 to 1993.
- Before becoming the chief minister, he was the Speaker of Manipur Assembly.