Current Affairs Updates - 22nd April 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 22nd April 2018 has all the Important Current Affairs Updates which are important for the upcoming examinations of Bank like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar examinations. Aspirants should go through these in details and also practice the Daily Current Affairs Quiz for better performance in the examination. Some other Static GK and Note Down Points have been mentioned here in bullet points at the end of the article.
With an aim to strengthen trade ties with India, Taipei World Trade Centre (TWTC) launched its office in Delhi
- Over the last couple of years, the Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA) has been focusing on strengthening trade ties with India. TAITRA is the official body of the Taiwan government for trade promotion.
The Union Cabinet today approved a proposal to promulgate Fugitive Economic Offenders Ordinance 2018 that provides for confiscating properties and assets of economic offenders like loan defaulters who flee the country
- It seeks to confiscate properties of economic offenders - like Nirav Modi- who have left the country to avoid facing criminal prosecution.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj arrived on a four-day visit during which she will hold crucial talks to normalise bilateral ties with her Chinese counterpart Wang Yi and take part in the foreign ministers’ meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- This is their first meeting after Wang was elevated as state councillor last month which makes him the top diplomat of the country in the Chinese hierarchy. He also continues to be foreign minister.
Shri Vijay Goel launches Central Project Monitoring Unit for e-Vidhan project at Parliament House Annexe
- e-Vidhan mission mode project to make functioning of State Legislatures in India paperless
Prince Charles 'deeply touched' to be confirmed as Queen's Head of the Commonwealth successor
- The Prince of Wales will one day succeed the Queen to become the next Head of Commonwealth, it was confirmed on Friday night, after leaders reached an agreement to honour Her Majesty’s “vision, duty and steadfast service” to the institution.
Romania to move Israeli embassy to Jerusalem
- If confirmed, the move would put Romania among the first countries to take this step after the United States. US President Donald Trump recognised Jerusalem as Israel's capital last December and announced the upcoming move of the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
Kyrgyzstan's parliament named Mukhammedkaliy Abylgaziyev prime minister after his nomination by the Social Democratic party which leads the ruling coalition.
- Abylgaziyev, previously chief of staff in President Sooronbai Jeenbekov's office, replaced Sapar Isakov whose cabinet lost a no-confidence vote this week.
Application / Portal
Integration of e-SANAD portal and NAD – National Academic Depository
e-Sanad is a project aimed at online submission and verification of documents with the ultimate object to extend contactless, cashless, faceless and paperless document attestation service. NAD is a 24X7 online storehouse of all academic awards viz. diplomas certificates, degrees, mark-sheets etc.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
SJVN Limited signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Ministry of Power, Govt. of India for the year 2018-19.
- The MoU was signed by Shri Ajay Kumar Bhalla, Secretary (Power) and Shri Nand Lal Sharma, Chairman & Managing Director, SJVN. As per the targets set in the MOU, SJVN shall strive to achieve 9200 Million Units generation during the year under 'Excellent' category.
Indian Overseas Bank (IOB), one of the leading public sector banks, entered into an agreement for information utility services with the National E-Governance Services Limited (NeSL).
- With this agreement, the IOB branches will be able to provide high-quality, authenticated information about debts and defaults; which will have more transparency in maintaining the list of borrowers, debtors, creditors and loan defaulters.
India and Afghanistan to hold bi-lateral meet on drugs this week
- The one-day bi-lateral meeting on April 20 will also see discussions on cooperation between the two nations for exchange of ideas, sharing of best practices and furthering areas of cooperation in the drug crime domain, a senior official said.
Summit /Conference / Events
Vice-President inaugurates 2-day Civil Services Day event in New Delhi
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the two-day Civil Services Day event in New Delhi..
- The Vice President also released a book Emulating Excellence- Takeaways for Replication'.
In a bid to strengthen cooperation along economic lines, India participated at the BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors meeting in Washington DC.
- India was represented by Subhash Chandra Garg, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs (EA).
- During the meeting with BRICS counterparts, Garg highlighted that India has been a constructive participant to the discussions on NDB’s membership expansion.
Mumbai Football Arena to host Intercontinental Cup
- The Mumbai Football Arena, the new hub of Indian football will play host to the inaugural edition of the four-nation Intercontinental Cup from June 1 to 10. The tournament will see the Indian team competing with the likes of South Africa, New Zealand and Chinese Taipei.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
CWG star Manika Batra recommended for Arjuna Award
- The Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) recommended Manika Batra, the country's only quadruple medallist at the Commonwealth Games, for the prestigious Arjuna Award.
Other Sports & Award Related News
The 16th Federation Cup Junior National athletics championship begun in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- The meet will serve as the selections trials for the 18th Asian Junior Athletic Meet to be held at Gifu, Japan, in June.
Commonwealth countries unanimously agree to take action on cybersecurity by 2020
- The Commonwealth countries have unanimously agreed to take action on cybersecurity by 2020.
- In a landmark declaration at the end of Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting (CHOGM) in London, the leaders of 53 countries agreed to work closely to evaluate and strengthen their cybersecurity frameworks and response mechanisms.
Bengaluru thrash East Bengal to win inaugural Super Cup
- Skipper Sunil Chhetri led from the front with a brace as Bengaluru FC thrashed 10-man East Bengal 4-1 to win the inaugural Super Cup football tournament here.
Indian animation expert Bhimsain Khurana dead
- Indian animation pioneer and multiple National Award winner Bhimsain Khurana is dead. He was 82. Khurana, known for films like "Gharaonda" and for iconic animation shorts like "Ek Anek Ekta" -- with the unforgettable -- "Ek chidiya, anek chidiya" song -- died at a hospital
Avicii, top electronic dance music artist, found dead at 28
- Swedish DJ Avicii, one of the world's biggest dance music stars, has died in Oman at the age of 28.
- Avicii's club anthems include Wake Me Up, Levels, and recently, Lonely Together with Rita Ora.