Current Affairs Updates - 19th April 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 19th April 2018 has some grasping news such as Lieutenant General PP Malhotra as Director General of National Cadet Corps, India's 10th rank in Commonwealth Games, India's Win to Subsidiary bodies, Food and Agriculture Organization's New Sites and other similar news. These are very vital for the upcoming examinations of Bank like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and Railways. Aspirants should go through them in details for a better understanding of the topics. Along with that we also suggest you all to go through the One Liner and Static GK Points which will be published by the end of day and also do practice the Daily Current Affairs Quiz.
New Appointments: NationalLieutenant General PP Malhotra assumed charge as Director General of National Cadet Corps (NCC), the largest uniformed youth organization in the world on 11 Apr 2018.
- Lt Gen Malhotra’s distinguished professional career includes various regimental, staff and command appointments.
Rankings & IndexesThe NSE’s index services subsidiary, India Index Services & Products, launched a quality-factor-based smart-beta index named, Nifty200 Quality 30
- The Nifty 200 Quality 30 index includes the top 30 companies from its parent Nifty 200 index. The selection is based on ‘quality’ scores.
India ranks 10th on new Commonwealth innovation index
- India was today ranked 10th on a new Commonwealth Innovation Index, topped by the UK, Singapore and Canada.
National AffairsOdisha’s second longest river bridge opened
- The Biju Expressway-IB Thermal-Coal Region link would improve transport and accelerate economic growth in the entire region, Mr. Patnaik said.
India wins elections to key UN subsidiary bodies
- India has won an election to a crucial non-governmental organisation committee in the UN after garnering the highest number of votes besides getting elected by acclamation to other subsidiary bodies in five separate polls.
To involve the districts more actively in the growth of the Indian economy and to formulate a common development vision starting from the district level, through a participatory mechanism, it has been decided by Union Commerce & Industry Minister Shri Suresh Prabhu that District Plan will be created for achieving this goal.
- An addition of 3% growth at the district level will ensure that USD 5 trillion target for the Indian economy becomes achievable.
India is among four countries to pool into an innovative USD 5 million fund for small states to obtain easier access to international trade finance to diversify their economies and achieve the sustainable development goals
- The announcement of the Commonwealth Small States Trade Finance Facility came at the ongoing Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London
NITI Aayog will start ranking states on the nutrition parameter under the government run Poshan Abhiyaan.
- The first meeting of the National Council on India's Nutrition Challenges under Poshan (nutrition) Abhiyaan was convened by NITI Aayog to address the issue through coordination and review meeting between ministries
International AffairsFood and Agriculture Organisation has designated 14 new sites as Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS) since 2016
- Some of these are Siwa Oasis, Chinampa Agriculture, Zhagana Agriculture and Huzhou Mulberry.
India is expected to grow at 7.4 per cent in 2018 and 7.8 per cent in 2019, leaving its nearest rival China behind respectively at 6.6 and 6.4 per cent in the two years, as per the IMF.
- China is expected to grow at 6.6 per cent and 6.4 per cent in the respective two years.
- However, the latest IMF growth rate projection remains unchanged since the last one in October.
US To Restrict Movement Of Pakistani Diplomats From May 1
- The US will place "reciprocal restrictions" on the movement of Pakistani diplomats in the country from May 1, forcing them to stay within 40 kilometres of the city they are posted in, according to media reports.
Application / PortalCommerce Minister Prabhu launches digital platform for MSME Exporters
- Prabhu congratulated Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO) for coming out with the interesting idea. He said that this initiative will help in expanding India's multi-focused export strategy and also aid in connecting art and artisans to the market.
Amazon launches new app feature targeting international shoppers
- Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) announced a new feature within its Amazon shopping app to cater to international customers shopping for U.S. goods, targeting Brazil, China, Germany and Spanish-speaking markets.
HRD ministry's 'Study in India' portal -- www.studyinindia.gov.in -- will be launched at the India Habitat Centre on April 18, 2018
- The portal will enable students from 30 countries across South Asia, Africa, CIS and Middle East to select and apply for different courses from 150 select Indian institutions which are high on NAAC and NIRF ranking
Schemes / ProgrammeThe Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has released draft of National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) proposing multiple strategies to reduce air pollution.
- It aims to tackle increasing air pollution problem across country in comprehensive manner.
Agreements/ MoUs SignedThe Society of Indian Defence Manufacturers (SIDM) and the Groupement des Industries Françaises Aeronautiques et Spatiales (GIFAS) signed a memorandum of understanding on the sidelines of a major industrial mission in India in the field of aerospace and defence organised by GIFAS with the support of SIDM from the April 16 to 19, 2018.
- This agreement aims to promote a sustainable framework for present and future partnerships and cooperative actions between the French aerospace industry and the Indian defence industry by reaffirming the necessity to expand trade, through stronger economic and industrial cooperation, between France and India, and towards export customers.
India and Sweden agreed to further deepen their cooperation in the Smart Cities initiative, transport and energy sectors
- The two countries will exchange knowledge and explore cooperation on smart cities, including transit-oriented urban development, air pollution control, waste management, waste-to-energy, waste-water treatment, district cooling and circular economy, including through dialogue and capacity building.
Summit /Conference / EventsThe India-Wiesbaden Conference 2018 was held from April 16-17, 2018, in New Delhi. Title of the conference was ‘Securing Global Supply Chains through Government-Industry Partnerships towards Effective Implementation of UNSC Resolution 1540'
- The Wiesbaden Process was initiated by Government of Germany in 2012 to strengthen implementation of UNSC Resolution 1540 through Government-Industry partnerships.
The first meeting of National Council on India’s Nutrition Challenges under POSHAN Abhiyaan was held in New Delhi.
- It saw participation of NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar, CEO Amitabh Kant and representatives of various ministries of Central and State Governments.
Awards & Honours: MiscellaneousAditi Rao Hydari to receive Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award for Bhoomi
- Aditi Rao Hydari added another trophy to her achievements as she will receive Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award 2018 for the Best Leading Lady (Critics Award) for her memorable performance in Bhoomi.
Other Sports & Award Related NewsThe Sourav Ganguly-led technical committee of the BCCI has unanimously recommended the reinstatement of Bihar and inclusion of northeastern States in the 2018-19 Ranji Trophy.
- The technical committee unanimously approved the inclusion of Bihar in the Ranji Trophy 2018-19 season.
ObituaryFormer US First Lady Barbara Bush dies at 92
- She was the matriarchal figure of a political dynasty that included two presidents - her husband George HW Bush and son George W Bush.