Current Affairs Updates - 18th April 2018
Some of the important headlines in our today's Current Affairs Updates - 18th April 2018 includes App-based cab aggregator Ola plans to introduce 10,000 e-rickshaws and electric auto rickshaws in India, UK joins International Solar Alliance, Bengaluru being the highest paying city and other similar news. These are all important for the upcoming government examinations like Bank ,IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar examinations. We hope aspirants would find this article really helpful. Other than these we also include Daily Current Affairs Quiz for you to practise on a regular basis.
World Hemophilia Day is observed on 17th april 2018
- The World Federation of Hemophilia will focus on the importance of sharing knowledge. The bleeding disorders community is filled with the first-hand knowledge and experience needed to help increase awareness, as well as to improve access to care and treatment.
New Appointments: National
Lieutenant General PP Malhotra assumed charge as Director General of National Cadet Corps (NCC), the largest uniformed youth organization in the world on 11 Apr 2018.
- Lt Gen Malhotra’s distinguished professional career includes various regimental, staff and command appointments.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
Yes Bank has announced the launch of ‘Yes GST’, an OD (over draft) facility for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
- Through this an MSME can avail OD up to Rs 1 crore, based on their annual turnover, backed by GST returns. Any additional assessment of balance sheet or bank statements will not be required.
Kotak Mahindra Bank pips SBI to become India’s second most valuable bank
- Shares of private lender Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd on Monday beat India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) for the first time to become the second most valued bank in the country.
Bandhan Bank among top 50 most valuable publicly traded firms in India
- Kolkata-based Bandhan Bank Ltd became one of the top 50 most valuable publicly traded firms in India. On Thursday, the market capitalization of Bandhan Bank was at Rs64,000 crore, claiming 50th rank, according to BSE data.
Rankings & Indexes
Bengaluru is highest paying city for talent: Randstad study
- The garden city of Bengaluru, which topped the list of salary trends in 2017, continues to lead the pack as the highest paying city in the country, with an average annual cost to company (CTC) for talent across all levels and functions standing at about Rs 11 lakh, according to Randstad Insights, the research and analysis division of Randstad India.
Subramanian Swamy backs RSS Chief on Air India disinvestment plan
- BJP leader Subramanian Swamy today backed RSS Sarsanghchalak Mohan Bhagwat’s suggestion on Air India rights.
Government revises target to complete Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana from year 2022 to 2019
- The scheme, since its inception in 2000, has been able to provide connectivity to more than One lakh 50 thousand habitations.
India wins elections to key UN subsidiary bodies
- India has won an election to a crucial non-governmental organisation committee in the UN after garnering the highest number of votes besides getting elected by acclamation to other subsidiary bodies in five separate polls.
App-based cab aggregator Ola plans to introduce 10,000 e-rickshaws and electric autorickshaws in India in the next 12 months, the company said in a statement.
- The ride-hailing company is in talks with state governments, OEM partners and electronic vehicle innovators to speed up the introduction of EVs in India.
UK joins International Solar Alliance to mark Narendra Modi visit
- The United Kingdom on Monday joined the India-led International Solar Alliance (ISA) ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s four-day visit to Britain. At an event held at the London Stock Exchange as part of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting 2018 (CHOGM), Britain formally announced its membership of the alliance, which aims to raise $1 trillion of private and public finance to provide affordable and sustainable energy for all by 2030.
Science & Technology
Giant asteroid 2018 GE3 makes surprise fly-by past Earth
- A giant asteroid gave Earth a surprise close shave this week, flying by at a distance of 1,92,000 kilometres, just a day after astronomers discovered the object, scientists say.
Defence & Railway News
Pilgrimage train flagged off from Sambalpur station
- A special pilgrimage train for senior citizens, under the Baristha Nagarika Tirtha Yatra Yojana, has been flagged off from Sambalpur station by Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India Signs Loan agreement with World Bank for USD 48 million for Meghalaya Community - Led Landscapes Management Project
- A Loan Agreement for IBRD loan of USD 48 million for the Meghalaya Community - Led Landscapes Management Project (MCLLMP) was signed with the World Bank.
Summit /Conference / Events
Kochi to host India Skills Kerala 2018
- Kerala will host the India Skills Kerala 2018 – in Kochi from April 28 to 30, as part of the World Skills India 2018. The event is aimed at identifying and training talents to get medals at the World Skills Competition Kazan 2019.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Yuki Bhambri back in top-100 after more than 2 years
- Yuki Bhambri on Monday broke back into the top-100 for the first time since February 2016 following his-title winning performance at the Taipei Challenger as he leapfrogged 22 places to a career-best rank of 83.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Winners Of 2018 Pulitzer Prizes Announced
- This year's Pulitzer Prize winners include journalists who helped launch a movement, a former criminal defense attorney and a hip-hop star.
Pune-based 17-year-old swimmer Sampanna Ramesh Shelar has set a world record to double cross the Bangla Channel.
- Shelar, is the first person to swim to and fro from Saint Martin's Island Jetty to Teknaf in Bangladesh also known as the Bangla Channel on Friday. An ambitious Shelar has now planned to participate in the upcoming swimming competition.
Veteran Journalist S Nihal Singh Passes Away
- Veteran journalist S Nihal Singh passed away here today following illness, his family members said.