Current Affairs Updates - 17th April 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 17th April 2018 has some of the noteworthy points here which include the Seventh Edition of Home Expo India 2018, MOU between the Indian Army and the Axis Bank, Odisha’s second longest river bridge and some similar news headlines. These are very important for the upcoming government examinations like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK,SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and some similar examinations. Aspirants should go through these in details for a better grip on the topics. We also provide Current Affairs Quiz and One Liner GK and Note Down Points.
Himachal Pradesh celebrates its 71st foundation day
- Himachal Pradesh celebrated its 71st foundation day with much fanfare and gaiety Sunday. Several cultural events were organized across the state.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) said it expects India's gross domestic product (GDP) to grow at 7.3-7.7 per cent during the 2018-19 financial year.
- This is based on strengthening demand in the rural economy, including agriculture and non-farm activities, as well as better global growth climate
- Shares of private lender Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd beat India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) for the first time to become the second most valued bank in the country.
WPI inflation eases to 2.47% in March
- On the basis of Wholesale Price Index, inflation was 2.48% in February and 5.11% in March last year.
- Inflation based on wholesale prices eased marginally to 2.47% in March on cheaper food articles, especially pulses and vegetables.
Govt raises Nabard's authorised capital to Rs 300 bn to aid rural economy
- The increase in authorised capital will enable Nabard to respond to commitments it has undertaken, particularly in respect of the Long Term Irrigation Fund and on-lending to cooperative banks
India to launch natural gas trading hub by October
- The government plans to launch a natural gas trading hub by October, creating an Indian gas benchmark which will spark a surge in consumption of the cleaner-burning fuel. Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) has sought bids to hire a consultant to help develop a regulatory framework for operationalising the gas trading/exchange hub.
Bisket Jatra being celebrated in Nepal
- The Jatra begins four days before the start of new year. It is believed that the festival started during Malla dynasty.
Government nudges IIT Delhi to settle dispute with Subramanian Swamy
- A 45-year dispute between IIT-Delhi and its former faculty member Subramanian Swamy, now a BJP leader, over salary dues seems to be headed for an out-of-court settlement after the government’s intervention last week.
Odisha’s second longest river bridge opened
- The much-awaited bridge built over the Ib river in Sambalpur district was thrown open to the public by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
UN launches Road Safety Trust Fund to improve road safety worldwide
- United Nations’ Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed on April 12, 2018 announced the launch of the ‘UN Road Safety Trust Fund’ to stimulate action that can save lives and prevent injuries and sufferings associated with road accidents.
Application / Portal
National Anti-Profiteering Authority goes online
- In a bid to ensure timely grievance redressal for consumers, the National Anti-Profiteering Authority (NAA) launched the "Anti Profiteering" online community in association with a citizen-engagement platform, LocalCircles.
Schemes / Programme
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana launched in State
- Launching the ‘Gram Swaraj Abhiyan’ here on Saturday, the Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan said the number of LPG distribution points in the State will be increased to 1,000 from the existing 707 for quicker and efficient delivery of gas cylinders.
Smriti Irani, Union Cabinet Minister for Textile, Information & Broadcasting, Government of India launched the Uttar Pradesh Neem Project at Kathaura –Jagdishpur, District Amethi Uttar Pradesh initiated by the Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited.
- Addressing a large audience of rural women and farmers on this occasion, Irani appreciated GNFC’s efforts for implementing Neem project in many states across the country.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
A Memorandum of Undertaking (MoU) was signed between the Indian Army and the Axis Bank on the Defence Salary Package.
- The first MoU between Axis Bank and the Indian Army was signed in 2011 and was renewed on March 24, 2015. The current MoU is tailor-made to suit the requirements of serving soldiers, pensioners and their families.
Summit /Conference / Events
Textiles Minister Smriti Zubin Irani inaugurated the seventh edition of Home Expo India 2018 at Greater Noida
- While inaugurating the expo, the minister stated that the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts has taken several initiatives for the promotion and development of handicrafts sector.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi left for a five-day visit to Sweden and the UK, where he will attend the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM).
- Modi said he was looking forward to deepening bilateral engagement with both the countries in a number of areas including trade, investment and clean energy.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in cooperation with Germany and the United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) will host the India-Wiesbaden Conference 2018 in the national capital.
- The title of the Conference is 'Securing Global Supply Chains through Government-Industry Partnerships towards Effective Implementation of UNSC Resolution 1540'.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Pune-based 17-year-old swimmer Sampanna Ramesh Shelar has set a world record to double cross the Bangla Channel.
- Shelar, is the first person to swim to and fro from Saint Martin's Island Jetty to Teknaf in Bangladesh also known as the Bangla Channel on Friday. An ambitious Shelar has now planned to participate in the upcoming swimming competition.
Shuttler duo Satwik Rankireddy and Chirag Chandrashekhar Shetty settled for silver after losing to England's Marcus Ellis and Chris Langridge in straight games in men's doubles badminton finals in the 21st Commonwealth Games
- Satwik and Chirag lost 13-21 and 16-21 to Elis and Langridge as England clinched gold in the badminton competition.
- In both the sets, the English shuttlers maintained their dominance as they played superior shots and showed quick reflexes to keep the fighting Indian shuttlers at bay.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Veteran actor Dharmendra and filmmaker Rajkumar Hirani will be conferred with the prestigious Raj Kapoor Lifetime Achievement and Raj Kapoor Special Contribution awards, respectively, Maharashtra culture minister Vinod Tawde
- Veteran Marathi actor Vijay Chavhan will receive the V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement award, while actor-director Mrinal Kulkarni has been named for V Shantaram Special Contribution awards.