Current Affairs Updates - 15th April 2018
Some of the noteworthy points in our today's Current Affairs for 15th April 2018 includes Phase-1 of FAME India Scheme, India’s Industrial Output, National E-Repository Limited (NERL), PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal set up 1st ever all-Indian badminton CWG final and many more. Most of today's news are under Sport news and others are from National, International, Banking and Awards. Aspirants are requested to go through these in details and to also follow the Daily Current Affairs Quiz based on the same here.These articles will be of help for the upcoming government examinations like Bank IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and some other similar examinations.
RBI in News
The Reserve Bank today tightened reporting norms for the Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS) under which an individual can transfer up to USD 2,50,000 abroad in a year.
- The LRS transactions are currently permitted by banks based on the declaration made by the remitter.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
World Bank approves 55mn dollar for Bangladesh solar power project
- The World Bank has approved 55mn dollar to expand the use of clean renewable energy in rural areas of Bangladesh where grid electricity cannot reach easily.
National E-Repository Limited (NERL), a group company of National Commodity and Derivatives Exchange Limited (NCDEX ), has brought in ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank on board as the repository participants for pledge finance.
- NERL has signed the agreement with both the banks where they will offer pledge finance against eNWRs created on NERL’s repository platform commodities stored in warehouses registered with Warehousing Development and Regulatory Authority (WDRA).
NGT panel to inspect lakes in Bengaluru
- Following orders from the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Wednesday, a committee constituted by the tribunal is set to carry out a two-day inspection, starting Saturday, of the Bellandur, Agara and Varthur lakes in Bengaluru.
India’s Industrial Output Slows To 7.1% In February
- The index of industrial production rose 7.1 percent in February over the year, compared with a revised 7.4 percent growth in the previous month, according to data from the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
United Nations has launched UN Road Safety Trust Fund to improve road safety worldwide to save lives and prevent the loss of opportunity associated with road accidents.
- UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) is secretariat for the trust fund. The fund has potential to galvanise global efforts to address road safety situation, building on progress made and experience gained over Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020.
Schemes / Programme
Govt launches e-FRRO scheme to facilitate hassle-free travel for foreigners
- Foreigners touring India no longer need to physically visit the office of the Foreigners Registration Office or Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRO/FRRO) for visa-related services including registration and visa extension, which will now be offered online through the e-FRRO platform.
PM Modi to launch largest health care scheme Ayushman Bharat on Ambedkar Jayanti
- Social change and social justice are two pillars of Dr BR Ambedkar's vision for India. In a befitting tribute to Babasaheb's contributions to nation building, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will take this vision to the next level on Ambedkar Jayanti.
Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises has extended Phase-1 of FAME India Scheme to provide financial support to electric and hybrid vehicles by another six months till 30 September 2018 or till launch of phase-II.
- FAME India Scheme stands for Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
Sidbi ties up with CSC to promote MSEs in 115 districts
- Sidbi announced a plan to promote micro enterprises in 115 aspirational districts across the country. It has, for this purpose, tied up with Common Service Centre (CSC).
India and the United Kingdom (U.K.) were holding talks to seal an agreement on mutual recognition of educational qualifications, London’s envoy said here on Friday.
- Speaking to a group of journalists, Sir Dominic Asquith said that education was a major area of bilateral cooperation between the two sides which was likely to feature in official discussions during the upcoming London visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Summit /Conference / Events
India Mobile Congress 2018 to take place from 25-27 October in New Delhi
- After debuting successfully in 2017, India is going to host its second India Mobile Congress (IMC) between 25-27 October at the national capital, Communications Minister Manoj Sinha said here on Friday.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Sanjeev Rajput clinches gold in Rifle 3-position
- Sanjeev Rajput won the gold medal in the men’s 50m rifle 3 positions event with a games record at the 21st Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Saturday, swelling the Indian shooting team’s tally in the mega event to seven gold, four silver and five bronze.
Neeraj Chopra won javelin throw gold at the 21st Commonwealth Games in Glasgow
- Neeraj Chopra became the first-ever Indian to win gold in javelin throw at the Commonwealth Games.
PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal set up 1st ever all-Indian badminton CWG final
- PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal won their respective semi-finals on Saturday to set up the first-ever all-Indian women's badminton singles' final at the Commonwealth Games.
Mary Kom, Gaurav Solanki and Vikas Krishan win gold medals
- Mary Kom, Gaurav Solanki and Vikas Krishan won boxing gold medals for India at the ongoing Commonwealth Games in New Delhi on Saturday.
Bajrang Punia wins gold; Pooja Dhanda, Mausam Khatri bag silver; Divya Kakran gets bronze
- Wrestlers gave India a resounding start at the Commonwealth Games (CWG) 2018 in Gold Coast with Sushil Kumar and Rahul Aware winning gold medals; Babita Kumari Phogat bagging a silver medal while Kiran won bronze.
Manika Batra and Mouma Das went down against defending champions Feng Tianwei and Yu Mengyu to settle for a silver medal in the women's doubles, a first ever for India at the Commonwealth Games.
- Batra, who had led India to a historic triumph in the team championship, could not do the same alongside Das on Friday. Tianwei and Mengyu cruised to an 11-5, 11-4, 11-5 victory.
India secured their first boxing medal in the ongoing 21st edition of the Commonwealth Games, with Naman Tanwar settling for bronze in the men's 91kg category here at the Oxenford Studios.
- The 19-year-old grappler failed to replicate his good performance in the Games so far and slumped to a 0-4 defeat to Jason Whateley of Australia in the semi-final bout to settle for the bronze medal.
Bajrang wins gold to extend India's wrestling domination
- Bajrang Punia became the third Indian after Sushil Kumar and Rahul Aware to win gold in the wrestling event at the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast.