Current Affairs Updates - 12th April 2018
Current Affairs Updates for 12th April 2018 has all the Latest and important picked up news headlines. We have provided only those news points which are important for the upcoming examinations of IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other similar examinations. The format is completely different and very easy to go through. You may also like Daily Current Affairs Quiz and One Liner and Static GK and Note Down Points for better performance in the examination.
National Safe Motherhood day is being observed across India on 11th april
- It seeks to create awareness about the institutional delivery, reducing anemia among women and better pre and post natal health care are necessary.
New Appointments: National
Balram Bhargava has been appointed the new Director General of the Indian Council of Medical Research and Secretary of the Department of Health Research, according to a notification by the appointments committee of the cabinet.
- Bhargava, currently a senior consultant cardiologist at the All India Institute of Medical Science, will carry out this role until 2021, according to the order.
Ban Ki-moon elected BFA chairman
- The meeting of the newly elected Board of Directors of Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) is held in Boao, south China's Hainan Province, April 9, 2018. Former United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Monday was elected chairman of BFA, replacing former Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda.
Bharti Enterprises Vice-Chairman Rakesh Bharti Mittal today assumed office of the President of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for 2018-19 year
- He takes over from Shobana Kamineni, Executive Vice Chairperson, Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Ltd.
Senior IPS officer Rajesh Ranjan was appointed as Director General of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
- Ranjan, a 1984 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Bihar cadre, is at present Special Director General, Border Security Force (BSF).
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The Central Vigilance Commission has drawn up a new set of guidelines for projects funded by international agencies such as the World Bank, IMF and Asian Development Bank.
- The new guidelines will put an end to existing practice of government departments and agencies adhering to the guidelines of foreign donors, while ignoring Indian government rules, in concluding contracts for projects funded by them. The new guidelines also draw a distinction between grants-in-aid and loans.
The residents of Haryana can now look forward to having a water ATM every 400 meters.
- The Haryana government has prepared Water ATM Policy to provide clean drinking water to people at public places in cities. A proposal to this effect has been approved by the chief minister, Manohar Lal Khattar.
Science & Technology
ISRO Successfully Launches IRNSS-1I Navigation Satellite From Sriharikota
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on Thursday launched the IRNSS-1I navigation satellite, the eighth such satellite to be a part of a constellation, from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
China successfully launched the first group of Yaogan-31 remote sensing satellites into space, which will be used for electromagnetic environment surveys and other related technology tests, according to media reports.
- A micro nano technology experiment satellite was also carried by a Long March-4C rocket into the orbit.
Application / Portal
The new Website and Mobile App of the ‘National Commission for Safai Karamcharis’ was launched by Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot
- The Minister congratulated the Commission for its new website and expressed hope that the new website and Mobile App will help the Commission in addressing the grievances/complaints of petitioners in an efficient manner.
Schemes / Programme
Jammu and Kashmir Bank has launched a special financing scheme to help the state industry cope with the delay in reimbursement of GST under special tax relief.
- The 'Add on Working Capital GST' scheme was launched by J&K Finance Minister Syed Altaf Bukhari in the presence of Minister for Industry and Commerce Chander Parkash Ganga and senior government and J&K Bank functionaries at a function
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on Monday launched 'Project Dhoop', an initiative aimed at shifting the school assembly time to noon to ensure maximum absorption of Vitamin D in students through natural sunlight.
- The project was launched at National Bal Bhavan here, and saw participation of around 600 students from NCERT, NDMC and North MCD Schools.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India and World Expo 2020 signed participants’ contract on April 10, 2018 for India’s pavilion in the World Expo 2020 which will be held in Dubai.
- The contract agreement was signed by Manoj K Dwivedi, Joint Secretary in the Union Ministry of Commerce and Najeeb Mohammed Al Ali, Executive Director of Dubai Expo 2020 Bureau.
India and Zambia today signed four agreements including on double taxation avoidance and judicial cooperation as President Ram Nath Kovind held delegation-level talks with his Zambian counterpart Edgar Chagwa Lungu.
- President Kovind, who arrived here yesterday on the final leg of his visit to three African countries, had "meaningful and wide-ranging discussions" with his Zambian counterpart, said a statement issued by the Indian President's Office.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland on the return of Illegal Migrants
- The MoU will facilitate that the Visa Free Agreement for holders of Diplomatic passports as well as liberalization of UK Visa Regime for those who are travelling to the UK legally, after conclusion of the MoU.
India signed an MoU with the Republic of Korea (South Korea) on Mutual Recognition of Certificates of Competency of Seafarers.
- The agreement was signed by Nitin Gadkari, Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport & Highways and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation and his Korean counterpart Kim Young-choon at a ceremony in Busan.
Summit /Conference / Events
The tenth edition of the Defence Expo began in Chennai to showcase India's defence manufacturing capabilities to the world.
- Def Expo India has become one of the largest events of its kinok d in the world over the last 10 years.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will meet leaders of Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark & Iceland for the first India-Nordic Summit in Stockholm on April 17.
- Modi will be the first Indian PM to visit Stockholm since 1988. The only other instance of a similar Nordic summit was during President Barack Obama’s tenure when heads of state or governments participated.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Netizens celebrate Shreyasi Singh’s GOLD medal in Women’s Double Trap
- Day 7 of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games started on a high with Shreyasi Singh winning the 12th gold medal for India, in the Women’s Double Trap.
Ankur Mittal settled for the bronze medal in Men’s Double Trap while Ashab Mohd finished in the 4th position.
- Om Mitharval, who had earlier won a bronze in 10m air pistol, won another bronze after he finished in the third position in the event.
India's Sachin Chaudhary bagged a bronze in the Men's Heavyweight Para Powerlifting at the ongoing Gold Coast Commonwealth Games
- Abdulazeez Ibrahim of Nigeria successfully defended his Glasgow gold medal with 191.9 points while Yee Khie Jong of Malaysia won a silver with 188.7 points.
The 2018 Asia Cup, that was earlier scheduled to be held in India, has now been moved out to the United Arab Emirates.
- The decision was taken following a meeting of the executive board of the Asian Cricket Council held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.