One Liner GK Current Affairs: 19th March 2018
Achieversrule team has brought the Latest and Updated News headlines all in short sentences. These have been presented here in One Liner GK Current Affairs: 19th March 2018. These are crucial for the upcoming government examinations like IBPS PO, IBPS CLERK, RAIL, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other kind of exams. We hope readers will go through them in details. You many also like the Daily Current Affairs Updates and the Daily Current Affairs Quiz for regular practice.
CURRENT AFFAIRS BITES
New Appointments: National
- Tata Sons Chairman N Chandrasekaran was elected President of the court of the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) for three years
Rankings & Indexes
- According to the Economist Intelligence Unit's (EIU) Worldwide Cost of Living 2018 survey, Singapore has been dubbed the world's most expensive city to live in for the fifth year running
- The Lok Sabha passed the Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) bill which seeks to empower the government to fix period of maternity leave and tax-free gratuity amount with an executive order.
- India will seek guidance on the future of the multilateral trading system from 50 trade envoys at a two-day World Trade Organization (WTO) informal ministerial meeting in New Delhi
- According to a study by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), US is India's 2nd biggest arms supplier
- Maharashtra tops the list of biomedical waste generated in the country daily, according to a document submitted by the ministry of health and family welfare in the Lok Sabha
- The Revenue Department in the Finance Ministry has imposed anti-dumping duty on import of ‘Ofloxacin’, a pharma product used in treatment of certain infections from China.
- UN appeals for US 951 million dollar to support Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- Scandal-tainted Mauritius president Ameenah Gurib-Fakim resigns
- Larry Kudlow, a well-known conservative media pundit, would be Donald Trump's new chief economic advisor
- Sri Lanka President Maithripala Sirisena had lifted a nationwide state of emergency imposed on March 6 after Buddhist-Muslim clashes.
- Sri Lanka Kiribati, Sao Tome and Principe and Solomon Islands are set to move up from the ranks of poorest nations due to their increasing national earning power as well as access to better health care and education
- Trump signs U.S.-Taiwan travel bill that raised strains between both the countries of US and China
- Vladimir Putin re-elected as Russia's President.
Defence & Railway News
- Flying Officer Bhawana Kanth became the second woman pilot of Indian Air Force to fly solo in a fighter aircraft.
- The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) has commissioned interceptor boat ICGS C-437 at Porbandar, Gujarat as part of its efforts to strengthen coastal security
- Navy chief Admiral Sunil Lanba will begin a five-day visit to the US tomorrow during which he will hold extensive talks with the top military brass of the Trump administration to consolidate bilateral naval cooperation, including in the Indo-Pacific region
Books & Authors
- Sri Lanka Cricket pays homage to Jagmohan Dalmiya with release of book 'A Tribute to Jagu'
Application / Portal
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) has launched its lost and found mobile applcation for passengers at 59 airports across India
Schemes / Programme
- In Nepal, a clean-up drive has been initiated at the Mount Everest that aims at airlifting 100 tonnes of waste left behind by tourists and climbers of the World's Highest Mountain.
- The Government of India is in the process of formulating a Scheme ‘Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM) for harnessing solar power in rural India
Summit /Conference / Events
- President Ram Nath Kovind has released Rs. 1,000 and Rs. 10 commemorative coins on the occasion of Nabakalebar festival at a function held in Puri, Odisha.
- The Honorable President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (FINE) organised by the Rashtrapati Bhavan in association with the National Innovation Foundation (NIF) India and the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India
- The 7th Women Science Congress, 2018 was inaugurated today in the backdrop of the ongoing 105th Indian Science Congress on its 3rd day being held at Manipur University since 16th March.
Awards & Honours: Sports
- Deepa Malik becomes Asian rank 1 in javelin F-53 category
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
- Veteran actress and talk show host Simi Garewal has been felicitated with a "UK Golden Flame Award" for her contribution to Indian cinema.
- Chennaiyin FC lifted their game to a level befitting the occasion and sent fancied Bengaluru FC crushing to a painful 2-3 defeat, clinching the Indian Super League (ISL) title in style.
- India's bid to host the next U-20 FIFA World Cup ended in disappointment as world football governing body FIFA accorded the status to Poland.
Other Sports & Award Related News
- English cricketer Kevin Pietersen announces retirement
STATIC GK NOTE DOWN POINTS
- Avani Chaturvedi who created history on February 21 by being the first ever woman fighter pilot to fly solo.
- Tata Sons Founder: Jamsetji Tata
- Tata Sons Founded: 1868
- Tata Sons Headquarters: Mumbai
- Tata Sons Key person: Natarajan Chandrasekaran
- Economist Intelligence Unit's Headquarters: London, England
- Singapore Currency: Singapore dollar
- WTO: World Trade Organization
- WTO Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- WTO Purpose: Regulate international trade
- WTO Founded: 1 January 1995
- WTO Membership: 164 member states
- WTO Leader: Roberto Azevêdo
- Indian Air Force Head: Birender Singh Dhanoa
- UN: United Nations
- United Nations Founded: 24 October 1945, San Francisco, California, United States
- United Nations Headquarters: New York City, New York, United States
- United Nations Secretary general: António Guterres
- Mauritius President: Ameenah Gurib Trending
- Mauritius Capital: Port Louis
- Mauritius Currency: Mauritian rupee
- Sri Lanka President: Maithripala Sirisena Trending
- Sri Lanka Capitals: Colombo, Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Sri Lanka Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- Russia President: Vladimir Putin Trending
- Russia Capital: Moscow
- Russia Currencies: Russian ruble, Ruble sign
- Russia Continent: Europe, Asia
- CISF: Central Industrial Security Force
- CISF Headquarters: New Delhi
- Nepal's Capital: Kathmandu
- Nepal's Prime minister: Khadga Prasad Oli
- Nepal's Currency: Nepalese rupee
- Nepal's President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari