Current Affairs Updates - 9th March 2018
The Achieversrule team has brought to you the recent and Latest and Daily Current Affairs Updates - 9th March 2018. These are very important for the upcoming examinations of Bank like IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk and other exams like SSC CGL, SSC CHSL. We request our readers to go through all the news in details and also practice Daily Current Affairs Quiz for better performance in the examination.
New Appointments: National
IRS officer Vivek R Wadekar was appointed as the new Special Director in the Enforcement Directorate (ED) by the government.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi issued an order appointing the 1991-batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer of the Income Tax Department to the new post.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
The Reserve Bank has slapped a penalty of Rs 40 lakh on SBI for not complying with its directions on detection and impounding of counterfeit notes.
- "The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed, on March 01, 2018, a monetary penalty of Rs 4 million on State Bank of India for non-compliance with the directions issued by RBI on Detection and Impounding of Counterfeit Notes," the central bank said in a notification issued today.
The government expects to roll out all 650 branches of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) by April, 2018
- RBI granted licence to IPPB on January 20, 2017 to carry out payments bank activities.
The Competition Commission imposed a total fine of more than Rs 54 crore on Jet Airways, InterGlobe Aviation and SpiceJet for unfair business practices with respect to fixing fuel surcharge on cargo transport.
- A fine of Rs 39.81 crore has been imposed on Jet Airways while the penalties on InterGlobe Aviation and SpiceJet are Rs 9.45 crore and Rs 5.10 crore, respectively, according to an official release.
The government said it had sanctioned a Rs 2,000-crore compensation package for the refugees from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) living in Jammu and Kashmir.
- "The Government of India provided a financial assistance of Rs 5.5 lakh per family to 36,384 displaced families of Pakistan-occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoJK) area (1947) and Chhamb (1965 and 1971) living in Jammu and Kashmir,” Ahir said.
TDP ministers to resign from NDA Cabinet over special status to Andhra Pradesh
- Telugu Desam Party (TDP) has decided to pull out two its ministers - A. Gajapathi Raju and Y.S. Chowdary - from the Union Cabinet. Chandrababu Naidu, Andhra Pradesh CM and TDP chief, made the announcement over Centre's denial to grant special category status to Andhra Pradesh.
CEAT introduces Safety Grip for the safety of women riders
- To commemorate women's day, CEAT has combined functionality and innovation to introduce the brand new CEAT Safety Grip to make riding safe for women. CEAT Safety Grip is a customized scooter handle grip which seamlessly conceals a pepper spray in the accelerator throttle for easy access. It is aimed at instilling confidence among women and empowering them to take charge of their own safety.
7th Pay Commission: Dearness Allowance for central government employees hiked to 7 per cent
- The Union Cabinet approved two per cent hike in Dearness Allowance (DA) for central government employees on Wednesday.
- This decision will see 1.10 crore central government staff and pensioners receive 7 per cent of their basic pay as DA, instead of 5 per cent.
Women SHGs in Uttarakhand to be trained in making LED lights
- The five-day programme named LED Gram Light Training programme will train 50 women from 10 SHGS in making LED bulbs, tubelights and chandeliers and help them stand on their own feet, the Chief Minister said.
The Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi and Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport have been adjudged joint-best in the world by Airports Council International in the 'Over 40 million passengers annually' category for year 2017
- This category is the largest in terms of passenger traffic and includes the world's most awarded airports like Changi (Singapore), Incheon and Bangkok airports.
Paytm Money receives Sebi nod as registered investment adviser
- Financial services platform Paytm on Wednesday said its wholly-owned subsidiary, Paytm Money, has received approval of market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) to become a registered investment advisor.
Washington Becomes First State to Enact Its Own Net Neutrality Rules
- Setting up a likely legal fight with the Trump administration, Washington has become the first state to enact its own net-neutrality requirements after U.S. regulators repealed Obama-era rules designed to keep the internet an even playing field.
China to launch Long March-5B rocket in 2019
- China will launch the Long March-5B carrier rocket into space in 2019, according to a spokesperson for the China Manned Space Engineering Office (CMSEO).
Defence & Railway News
Delhi-Jaipur semi high-speed train can cut travel-time to 90 minutes
- One of Indian Railways' many planned projects is a semi high-speed train between Delhi and Jaipur running at 200kmph.
Application / Portal
Niti Aayog has launched Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) that aims to build a vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem where women do not face any gender-based barriers.
- WEP has tied up with a range of companies including Nasscom, SIDBI, FICCI, CII, apart from companies like Facebook that will provide credits, ShopClues will mentor 12 budding women entrepreneurs for a year.
On the occasion of International Women's Day, March 8,the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) launched a portal for women entrepreneurs of India: www.udyamsakhi.org.
- The portal was unveiled by the Minister of State (Independent Charge) of MSME, Giriraj Singh. The Minister said that India has around 8 million women who have started and are running their own businesses and the Ministry of MSME believes that the women in India can play a vital role in the growth of the Indian economy.
The Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) today said signed a memorandum of understanding with CSC e-governance Services (CSCeGS) to take Udyami Mitra portal to the unserved and the underserved MSMEs.
- Udyamimitra.in is a portal to improve accessibility of credit for the MSMEs.
- It allows entrepreneurs to apply for a loan without physically visiting bank branches.
Schemes / Programme
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Rajasthan Jhunjhunu on March 8 to inaugurate the pan-India expansion of the “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao” scheme on the occasion of the International Women’s Day.
- The Prime Minister will interact with beneficiary mothers and girl children of the programme, the release said, adding that the PM will distribute certificates to the best performing districts under the programme.
Commemorating 70 years of the Indo-Russia ties International Federation of Indo-Russian Youth Clubs jointly with BRICS International Forum presented a programme -- 'Vision for Future"
- A Russian delegation is also visiting India as part of the 70th year celebrations, and some of them interacted with media this evening.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
Telecom major Bharti Airtel on Tuesday said it has acquired India leg of Gulf Bridge International submarine cable which will boost its data carrying capacity.
- “Under the agreement, Airtel will acquire the ownership of the India leg of GBI’s India-Middle East-Europe submarine cable. Airtel will also pick up a significant capacity on Middle East-Europe leg of GBI’s cable system,” Airtel said in a statement.
Summit /Conference / Events
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) is participating in World ATM Congress (WATMC) 2018 being held at IFEMA, Feria de Madrid, Spain from March 6 to 8.
- Now entering its sixth year, World ATM Congress is the world's largest international air traffic management (ATM) exhibition and conference attracting thousands of delegates each year.
The fourth India-Europe 29 Business Forum (IE29BF) took place in New Delhi. Theme of IE29BF 2018 was ‘Synergising Economic Vision for Expanded Relations’.
- The Forum was created for the first time in 2014 by Ministry of External Affairs and Federation of Indian Chambers and Commerce (FICCI) to provide an institutionalized platform for promoting business exchanges between India and the twenty-nine countries of Central Europe region.
India's Biggest M&E Services Market, enTTech 2018 inaugurated in Mumbai
- India's biggest Media & Entertainment Services Market – enTTech 2018 was inaugurated today in Mumbai. The market, spread over two days (March 7 – 8, 2018) will see fast matchmaking between 100 international delegates and their Indian counterparts.
Awards & Honours: Sports
MP teen Muskan Kirar, Promila Daimary win gold in Archery Asia Cup
- Muskan Kirar beat some big names including top seed Mat Nurfatehah of Malaysia in the women’s compound event to win gold while Promila Daimary upset Russian third seed Erdynieva Natalia 7-3 in the recurve final of the Archery Asia Cup Stage 1 in Bangkok.
Awards & Honours: Miscellaneous
Pritzker Prize 2018: BV Doshi becomes first-ever Indian to win the 'Nobel for architects'
- Reputed Indian architect Balkrishna Doshi (or BV Doshi), known for designing iconic buildings such as Amdavad ni Gufa and IIM Bangalore, has become the first-ever Indian to win the Pritzker Prize.
Delhi youngster Tejaswin Shankar smashed his own national record to claim the high jump gold as three athletes booked their Commonwealth Games berths on the third and penultimate day of the 22nd Federation Cup Senior National Athletics Championships
- The 19-year-old Shankar sailed over the bar at 2.28m to marginally improve his own national mark of 2.26m which he achieved in Coimbatore in 2016 during the Junior National Championships.