Current Affairs Updates - 6th March 2018
We, the AchieversRule team have brought to you the Current Affairs Updates - 6th March 2018. We have picked up the best and Latest news headlines which are crucial for exams like Bank, IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and others. We hope aspirants will go through them in details and they may also like the CA One Liner and Static Gk and Note Down points. We request aspirants to go through the Daily Current Affairs Quiz for better results.
New Appointments: National
Conrad Sangma Will be the Next CM of Meghalaya
- A five-party alliance cobbled together by the BJP and led by the NPP is set to come to power in Meghalaya, edging out the Congress which had emerged as the single-largest party in yesterday’s results. Sources say NPP leader Conrad Sangma may be the next chief minister, but his sister Agatha Sangma has also emerged as the dark horse.
New Appointments: International
Krishna Kumari Kolhi from Pakistan's Sindh province has become the first-ever Hindu Dalit woman Senator in the Muslim-majority country
- She won the election for the reserved seat for women from Sindh province, Dawn News reported.
China Turns Fiscal Screws While Maintaining 6.5% Red Line on GDP.
- China stepped up its push to curb financial risk, cutting its budget deficit target for the first time since 2012 and setting a growth goal of around 6.5 percent that omitted last year’s aim for a faster pace if possible.
Defence & Railway News
Passengers not to be Charged Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) for Booking of Railway Tickets.
- Merchant Discount Rate (MDR) charges will not be levied on passengers for booking railway tickets (at the railway ticketing counters as well as through IRCTC ticketing website) on payment made through Debit Cards for a transaction value upto Rupees one lakh. Instructions to this effect has been issued to the Banks by Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance on 26th February 2018.
'Arunachal Express' inaugurated making travelling convenient and viable for commuters
- Lauding the event as a new dawn in the land of the sun that is Arunachal Pradesh, State Minister of Railways, Rajen Gohain and Minister of Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the Arunachal Express which is ought to be a weekly express. Arunachal Express, a fully air conditioned new weekly train service will run between Naharlagun and New Delhi.
Books & Authors
Dr Jitendra Singh attended the social media launch of “Namaste Shalom”, a magazine on India-Israel relations
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh launched the social media of “Namaste Shalom”, a magazine devoted to India-Israel relations
India's 2011 World Cup-winning skipper, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, has become a brand ambassador of gaming platform Dream11.
- The fact that every Dream11 user actually aspires to employ the same kind of thinking prowess that has made MS Dhoni such a master of the game (cricket) truly makes him a unique fit for the Dream11 brand
Application / Portal
Haryana State Council of Educational Research and Training has developed a new mobile application ‘Meri e-Pustak’ for Digitalization among students.
- It has also started a test version of digi-LEP (learning enhancement programme) teacher training online course.
- While launching the app and test version, additional chief secretary (school education) Dheera Khandelwal said ‘Meri e-Pustak’ was developed for showcasing and spreading all educational e-resources including textbooks, audio, video, periodicals, and a variety of other print and non-print materials.
Schemes / Programme
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah unveiled a healthcare scheme 'Arogya Karnataka' aimed at benefitting about 1.43 crore households in the state.
- "The 'Arogya Karnataka' (Healthy Karnataka) will provide quality primary, secondary and tertiary treatment to both BPL and APL families in the state," Siddaramaiah said after unveiling the scheme in the city.
Odisha Launches 'Khushi' Scheme to Provide Free Sanitary Pads To 17 Lakh Students
- The scheme will be implemented by the health and family welfare department of the state at a cost of 70 crore per year, a senior government official said.
Odisha govt. launches ‘Ama Gaon, Ama Bikas’ rural programme
- The programme was launched on the occasion of the birth anniversary of former Chief Minister Biju Patnaik, which is observed as Panchayati Raj Day in the State every year.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
Punjab Government has inked a Memorandum of Understanding with e-Governance Foundation (e-Gov) of Nandan Nilekani regarding the managing of electronic governance of Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) throughout Punjab.
- “Punjab Government is fully committed to make good its promise of delivering the citizen centric services to the people of the state in a transparent and smooth manner so as to ensure that they don't have to make rounds of government offices to avail the same,” said the state Local Government Minister Navjot Singh Sidhu on the occasion of inking of an MoU.
The Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Israel to enhance cooperation on water conservation in India
- As per this MoU, both sides would work to enhance cooperation at the national, regional and international level to design, implement and monitor a professionally designed National Water Conservation Campaign in India to put water conservation on to the national agenda
Summit /Conference / Events
The Buddhist Community of Itanagar celebrated the silver jubilee of the Losar Festival at the Nyokum Lapang Ground
- The three-day festival, organized by the Itanagar Buddhist Cultural Society (IBCS) was celebrated from March 2 to March 4 with a lot of enthusiasm and traditional zeal
Awards & Honours: Sports
The Indian combine of Pankaj Advani and Manan Chandra staged a remarkable recovery to beat Pakistan in the final of the inaugural IBSF Snooker Team World Cup.
- Thanks to a well-crafted 39 break from Chandra and a classy clearance of the final colours by Advani, the Indian hopes were kept alive.
Viswanathan Anand Wins Tal Memorial Rapid Chess Title
- Anand defeated Ian Nepomniachtchi, Alexander Grischuk and Daniil Dubov of Russia and Hikaru Nakamura of United States en route to his final score.
ISSF World Cup: 16-year-old Manu Bhaker wins gold in women's pistol event
- World Cup debutant Manu Bhaker marked her international debut with the gold in the women's 10m Air Pistol final, also taking India's tally to five medals at the ISSF World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Indian shooter Shahzar Rizvi created a new world record on his way to the gold medal in the men's 10m air pistol event at the ISSF World Cup
- Rizvi, who was making his World Cup debut, registered a world record score of 242.3 points in the final on the opening day of the event here on Saturday evening.
Disability Rights Activist Javed Abidi Dies at 53
- Disability rights activist Javed Abidi passed away on Sunday after succumbing to chest infection. He was 53.