Current Affairs Updates - 3rd March 2018
Today once again AchieversRule team has come up with the Latest and Updated Current Affairs Updates - 3rd March 2018. We have picked up the main headlines which have higher probability of being asked in the upcoming examinations of Bank, Railway and SSC CHSL and SSC CGL. We hope this article will be of utmost benefit to all our readers. You may also like Current Affairs Static GK and Note Down Points along with Current Affairs Quiz with answers and explanations provided.
New Appointments: National
Senior diplomat Vinay Kumar has been appointed as India’s ambassador to strategically key Afghanistan, succeeding incumbent Manpreet Vohra.
- Mr. Kumar, a 1992 batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as Joint Secretary (south) in the headquarters of the External Affairs Ministry here. “He is expected to take up his assignment shortly,” the Ministry said in a release.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
Finance Ministry to consolidate overseas operations of public sector banks
- In the wake of unearthing of a series of scams in public sector banks, a move is afoot to consolidated the overseas operations of the public sector banks (PSBs).
The State Bank of India (SBI) on raised the key one-year marginal cost of funds based lending rate (MCLR) by 20 basis points to 8.15 per cent from 7.95 per cent.
- India's largest public sector lender said the new MCLR will be effective from March 1, 2018. Following suit, the Punjab National Bank (PNB) and ICICI Bank also hiked the MCLR rates for loan borrowers.
The scam-hit Punjab National Bank (PNB) today raised its lending rate by 15 basis points to 8.30 per cent with immediate effect.
- The New Delhi-based lender also increased its retail and build deposit rates by up 45 basis points on various maturities.
Vietnam President Tran Dai Quang Arrives In Delhi On 3-Day Visit
- President Tran Dai Quang had landed in Bodh Gaya in Bihar, a Buddhist pilgrimage site, earlier on Friday before reaching New Delhi.
Tamil Nadu launches 24 hour helpline for students
- Calming the students over the stressful situation created because of the on going exam fever, the State of Tamil Nadu has launched a 24 hour helpline for the first time in the country. This helpline would provide information on education and offer guidance to the students.
The Union cabinet approved a proposal to establish a National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA) as an independent regulator for the auditing profession, in an attempt to tighten the regulatory oversight over chartered accountants and plug loopholes.
- NFRA will have powers to investigate chartered accountants and their firms of all listed companies and large unlisted public companies, finance minister Arun Jaitley said in a press briefing after a cabinet meeting, adding the thresholds for unlisted companies will be prescribed in the rules that will be notified shortly.
The Centre on Thursday approved projects worth over Rs 2,900 crore under the Nirbhaya fund for eight major cities of the country in a bid to make them safer for women.
- Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad Ahmedabad and Lucknow have been sanctioned a total of Rs 2,919.55 crore after a meeting today of the Empowered Committee, which is headed by the secretary of Women and Child Development (WCD)
The State government is contemplating establishing an Academy of Adventure Sports at Gandikota village on the banks of river Pennar in Kadapa district.
- The Academy is being established to empower unemployed youth in taking up adventure sports /adventure tourism centres as career building.
Phirangipuram to be State’s first all-women rail station
- The railway station on the Guntur-Narsaraopet line would be handed over to an all-women crew – from the station master to the signalling staff to the ticket-checking employees.
Science & Technology
Hetero Healthcare Ltd said it had launched generic anti-retroviral fixed-dose combination (FDC) of ‘Emtricitabine (200mg) and Tenofovir Alafenamide (25mg) in India.
- The medication is indicated in combination with other anti-retroviral agents for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) infection in adults and pediatric patients 12 years of age and older
Defence & Railway News
India successfully test-fired Anti Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) Nag in desert conditions,
- The Nag ATGM has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Wednesday’s flight tests have once again proved their capability
Application / Portal
The Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) has come up with website, www.marinefishsales.com, and mobile app, marinefishsales, to help fish farmers and fishermen sell their catch directly to customers online
- The portal is an interface of multi-vendors and consumers with the CMFRI performing the administrative role between them. Fishermen and fish farmers who want to sell their catch and fish online may form Self-Help Groups (SHGs) and register with the platform.
The police have come up with a new app “Cops Eye.”
- Based on face recognition feature, it would help them detect people with criminal backgrounds by clicking photographs with their mobile phones.
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
India and Jordan signed a framework defence agreement which envisages a whole range of possibilities from defence acquisitions by Jordan to defence exercises and closer security cooperation.
- India and Jordan signed 12 agreements after the highlevel talks, covering areas as diverse as mass media, health, culture and tourism. But the area of interest for both countries is clearly defence and security.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Vinesh Phogat clinches silver medal at Asian Wrestling Championships
- Vinesh Phogat clinched India’s first silver medal at the ongoing Asian Wrestling Championship in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan after a tough 2-3 loss in the final of the 50kg category (freestyle) against China’s Chun Lei on Thursday.
Other Sports & Award Related News
Russia's Olympic membership restored by International Olympic Committee
- Russia's Olympic membership has been restored by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) following its suspension from Pyeongchang 2018.
- Russia was banned from February's Games by the IOC over state-sponsored doping.