Current Affairs Updates - 27th March 2018
As we all know most of the exams like SSC CHSL, IBPS PO,IBPS CLERK, SBI, RAIL, and other Government exams for the year 2018 will take some more time to start. So meanwhile all of you must have already started your preparation. So here in Current Affairs Updates - 27th March 2018 we have picked up some of the Latest and Important Current Affairs under different topics like Sports, Awards, National, Schemes and other such sections. Some of the noticeable topics for today include launch of GSAT-6A satellite by ISRO, N-TB app, Host Country Agreement, Updates of Grand Prix and Asian Billiards Championships. You may also like the Daily Current Affairs Quiz and the One Liner and Static Gk and Note Down Points that we will be uploading shortly.
First in India & World
The world’s biggest cruise-liner, Symphony of the Seas, has left the shipyard of Saint-Nazaire in France to embark on its maiden voyage in the Mediterranean.
- French shipbuilder STX handed over to U.S. giant Royal Caribbean International on Friday.
- The ship, which weighs 228,000 tonnes, is 362 metres long just 20 metres shy of the length of the Empire State Building.
Scientists to publish first-ever land health report
- Scientists will publish the first-ever analysis Monday of the global state of land and its ability to sustain a fast-growing human population that relies on it for 95 percent of all food.
New Appointments: National
JS Rajput nominated India’s Representative to UNESCO's Executive Board
- The Government of India has decided to nominate Professor J S Rajput, former Director NCERT, as India’s representative to the Executive Board (EXB) of UNESCO.
Rankings & Indexes
India is the third largest electricity producer ahead of Russia, Japan
- According to a report by India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), India’s electricity production grew 34% over seven years to 2017, and the country now produces more energy than Japan and Russia, which had 27% and 8.77% more electricity generation capacity installed, respectively, than India seven years ago.
India has overtaken Germany to become the fourth largest automobile market in the world, latest global data show.
- Automobile sales, including passenger and commercial vehicles, in Asia’s third largest economy grew 9.5%, the fastest among major global markets, last year to more than 4 million units, outpacing Germany’s 3.8-million vehicle sales, which rose by a modest 2.8% in the same period.
World’s oldest city Varanasi goes ‘wireless’
- Eighty-six years after the city got electricity, overhead power cables in Varanasi are being dismantled after a project to lay underground lines over 16 sq-km has been finally completed.
West Bengal tops the list of states with most number of beggars
- The government has come out with the total number of beggars in the country.
- As per the data released by Union ministry of Social Justice, there are around 4 lakh beggars in total.
‘Justice Clocks’ to soon start ticking in all 24 high courts
- The Centre will soon install ‘Justice Clocks’ — LED message display boards — in all 24 high courts to show the daily rate of disposal of cases, the number of pending cases and the individual rank of each of these courts.
Science & Technology
ISRO to launch communication satellite GSAT-6A on March 29
- According to the space agency, the satellite with a life span of around 10 years will be put into orbit by the Indian rocket, Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-F08).
Defence & Railway News
Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) has once again delivered second Sri Lanka Advanced Offshore Patrol Vessel (SL AOPV) of Sri Lankan Navy ceremoniously at Vaddem, Vasco da Gama yesterday, 25 days ahead of schedule.
- The vessel will be the largest and most advanced ship in the Sri Lankan Navy fleet. This is the fourth Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) delivered in the current financial year. The ceremony was attended by High Commissioner of Sri Lanka Mrs Chitranganee Wagiswara, Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Navy Rear Admiral N B J Rosayro, Chairman & Managing Director of GSL Rear Admiral (Rtd) Shekhar Mital, directors and senior officials of Sri Lankan Navy, Indian Navy, Indian Coast Guard and GSL.
Application / Portal
N-TB, an app for TB patients, was launched on March 24, World Tuberculosis Day.
- The app was developed by Dr. Anurag Bhargava, a professor of Yenepoya University, Mangaluru.
Schemes / Programme
CCEA approves Integrated Scheme for Development of Silk Industry
- In a big move that will boost the domestic silk industry, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved Integrated Scheme for Development of Silk Industry for the next three years from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- The scheme will promote Women Empowerment and livelihood opportunities to SC/ST and other weaker sections of the society. The scheme will help to increase productive employment from 85 lakhs to 1 crore persons by 2020
MHRD Approves 'Study In India' Programme To Increase Influx Of Foreign Students In Indian Institutes
- The Ministry of Human Resources Development has approved 'Study in India' programme.
- The programme will not only encourage more foreign students to choose India as a destination for higher education but will also double India's market share of global education exports from less than 1 percent to 2 percent.
DeendayalAntyodayaYojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) is one of the flagship programmes of the Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India to alleviate rural poverty.
- The programme aims to organize the rural poor women into their own institutions like Self Help Groups and their federations, Producers’ Collectives etc. and also ensure their financial inclusion and livelihoods support. Since its launch in 2011, the Mission has spread to 4456 Blocks of 584 Districts, across 29 States and 5 Union Territories
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
The International Solar Alliance (ISA) and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), signed the Host Country Agreement .
- Under this agreement, ISA shall enjoy such privileges, applicable tax concessions and immunities as are necessary for ISA’s Headquarter to independently discharge its function and programmes.
Summit /Conference / Events
The first International Exhibition of Graphic Prints ‘Print Biennale India 2018’ inaugurated in New Delhi
- The first-ever International Exhibition of Graphic Prints ‘Print Biennale India 2018’ opened today, at the Rabindra Bhavan Galleries of the Lalit Kala Akademi in New Delhi.
Awards & Honours: Sports
Anish Bhanwala Wins India's 3rd Individual Gold in Junior World Cup
- Rising shooter Anish Bhanwala secured India a third individual gold medal at the ISSF Junior World Cup when the 15-year-old finished atop the podium in men's 25m rapid fire pistol
Australian Grand Prix, Formula One highlights: Sebastian Vettel wins season's first race ahead of Lewis Hamilton
- Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel captured the Australian Grand Prix on Sunday, holding off his hard-charging Mercedes rival Lewis Hamilton in a dramatic start to the new Formula One season.
Asian Billiards Championships: Pankaj Advani beats B Bhaskar to defend title; Amee Kamani wins women's crown
- Pankaj Advani on Saturday defended his Asian Billiards Championships title in style by demolishing his practice partner B Bhaskar 6-1 in the summit clash.
India U-16 boys win Hong Kong football tournament
- The India U-16 team emerged champions in the Jockey Cup International Youth Invitational Football Tournament with a 4-2 victory over Hong Kong U-17 in the final in Hong Kong on Sunday.
Other Sports & Award Related News
Equitas Bank ties up with CSK, launches Yellow Army Savings Account
- Equitas Small Finance Bank has launched a new ‘Yellow Army Savings Account’ to increase its customer base through its association with the Chennai Super Kings (CSK), a franchise of the Indian Premium League (IPL).
South Asian Cinema Foundation (SACF), a London based organisation has received the Frederick Pincott Award for 2017 from the Indian High Commissioner, Y K Sinha for promoting Hindi cinema in Britain for the last 18 years.
- The institution has been active in boosting original research and books on Indian films, also inviting and honouring filmmakers from India, along with documentary film making and producing classic silent films with live music at the British Film Institute (BFI).
Hockey Punjab were crowned champions of the 8th Hockey India Senior Men National Championship after they came from a goal down to defeat Petroleum Sports Promotion Board 2-1 in a well-fought encounter on Sunday.
- Petroleum Sports Promotion Board had taken an early lead in the match as Gurjinder Singh converted a penalty corner in the 3rd minute to settle the early nerves for his team.