Current Affairs Updates - 1st March 2018
The AchieversRule team has brought to you the important Current Affairs Updates for 1st March 2018. Here we have included all the important and Latest News headlines on International, Banking, Schemes and Obituary. These are very important for the upcoming examinations of Bank like IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, Railways, SSC CGL, SSC CHSL and other exams. You may also like Current Affairs Note Down and GK Points along with Daily CA Quizzes.
National Science Day is celebrated in India on 28 February
- Each year it is celebrated to mark the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian physicist Sir Chandrashekhara Venkata Raman on 28 February 1928.
First in India & World
India’s first Aviation Multi Skill Development Centre (MSDC) was launched at Chandigarh Airport’s old terminal.
- The Centre was established in collaboration with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). It is supported by Aerospace and Aviation Sector Skill Council (AASSC) of India.
RBI in News
RBI raises currency derivative trading limit to 100 million dollar
- Currency futures trading received a boost on Monday after the Reserve Bank of India raised the position limit for trading in currency derivatives on stock exchanges, for both resident and non-resident Indians, to $100 million across all currency pairs involving the rupee.
Banking, Economic & Financial Affairs
Catholic Syrian Bank ties up with Celebrus Capital for online trading services.
- Catholic Syrian Bank Ltd and Celebrus Capital Ltd have announced a new partnership to offer CSB’s customers online trading and demat services.
- With this partnership, CSB’s customers can open a Celebrus trading account free of cost and also enjoy preferred rates on brokerage charges/ AMC fees on the demat account.
Rankings & Indexes
India Ranks 47th When It Comes To Inclusive Internet: Economist Intelligence Unit
- Facebook, which commissioned the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) to create a comprehensive "Inclusive Internet Index," found India in the middle of Asian countries (12th out of 23) when it comes to connectivity.
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani reiterated that simultaneous election drive would strengthen the sustainable development programmes of center and state government.
- According to media reports Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP National President Amit Shah will be interacting with Chief Ministers of BJP ruled state to brainstorm on the feasibility of One Nation One election.
Ministry of Tourism estimates monthly Foreign Exchange Earnings (FEEs) through Tourism in India, both in Rupee and Dollar terms based on the credit data of Travel Head from Balance of Payments of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- 9.9% Growth in Foreign Exchange Earnings (In Rupee Terms) In January 2018 over January 2017
Retirement fund body EPFO has made it mandatory to file online claims for provident fund withdrawals above Rs 10 lakh, taking another step towards becoming a paperless organisation.
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has also made it mandatory to file online claims for withdrawals of above Rs 5 lakh under the Employees Pension Scheme 1995.
The Union Cabinet has approved the Trafficking of Persons (Prevention, Protection and Rehabilitation) Bill, 2018 for introduction in the Parliament.
- It takes into consideration aggravated forms of trafficking. It prescribes punishment for promoting and facilitating trafficking of person.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved continuation of Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) beyond 12th Plan for 3 years from 2017-18 to 2019-20
- The scheme has been extended with total outlay of Rs. 5,500 crore to create sustainable estimated employment opportunities for 15 lakh persons in three financial years.
China-based Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved 1.5 billion dollar in loans to India for infrastructure-related projects in 2018. ...
- The funds will be used for investment in India’s energy, roads and urban development projects.
Brussels to make public transport free on high air pollution days
- The new rules will also see car speed limits cut and wood-burning stoves banned in a drive to improve air quality in the city
Science & Technology
Jupiter’s moon Europa may host life.
- Jupiter’s icy moon Europa may host life in an ocean of liquid water hidden under its 10 kilometre-deep ice crust, scientists say.
The moon will get its first mobile phone network next year, enabling high-definition streaming from the lunar landscape back to earth, part of a project to back the first privately funded moon mission.
- Vodafone Germany, network equipment maker Nokia and carmaker Audi (VOWG_p.DE) said on Tuesday they were working together to support the mission, 50 years after the first NASA astronauts walked on the moon.
Books & Authors
Irani releases English, Hindi and online versions of annual government publication India 2018
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani today released 'India 2018', an annual government publication on its policies and development programmes, in print and online versions, and voiced hope that it will be brought out in all Indian languages from the next year to benefit the public at large.
Schemes / Programme
The Union Government is going to roll out Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources Dhan (GOBAR-DHAN) scheme.
- The scheme focuses on managing and converting cattle dung and solid waste in farms to useful compost, biogas and bio-CNG.
The government sanctioned more than Rs. 700 crore for 43 roads and 15 bridges under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) for Arunachal Pradesh.
- Chief Minister Pema Khandu has thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the grant and said his concern for Arunachal Pradesh in terms of connectivity is evident from the positive gesture.
The Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation has launched second project of Swajal Yojana at village Bhikampura, Karauli, Rajasthan.
- The scheme aims at ensuring availability of clean drinking water to every household round year and also generate employment
Agreements/ MoUs Signed
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has signed an MoU with the Indian Ocean Rim Association's Regional Center for Science and Technology Transfer for designating Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants in Lucknow as the coordinating centre on medicinal plants.
- The MoU was signed by Director CSIR-CIMAP Anil Kumar Tripathi and Director IORA-RCSTT A Sedrpousan, in the office of Vice Minister of Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamic Republic of Iran Morteza Sarmadi in Tehran in the presence IORA Secretary General Nomvuyo Nokwe.
Merger & Acquisitions
Amazon buys video doorbell firm Ring for over 1billion dollar
- Smart doorbell maker is retailer’s second largest acquisition as it pushes further into in-home deliveries and internet of things
Awards & Honours: Sports
Tennis legend Roger Federer became the most decorated winner in the history of Laureus World Sports Awards
- he won twin honours, his sixth, which includes the Sportsman and Comeback titles at the 18th edition of the prestigious awards ceremony.
Karnataka beat Saurashtra to win Vijay Hazare Trophy
- From the moment he smashed an exquisite cover drive off the very first delivery of the match bowled by Saurashtra's Jaydev Unadkat, it was more or less clear that Karnataka opener Mayank Agarwal was ready for another big one.
- This is Karnataka's first domestic trophy of the season after having lost out on the Ranji Trophy and Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
Other Sports & Award Related News
The Davis Cup could be transformed into a one-week, one-location, 18-nation World Cup of Tennis in a major overhaul aimed at enticing the best men's players to play.
- Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic are among the stars to have reacted positively to the creation of an annual season-ending event, starting in 2019, that will have a total purse of 20 million dollar.
Eminent Odia writer Kanakalata Mohanty passed away at 82.
- Mohanty is the author of 12 novels and more than a 100 short stories.